SASS Wire Forum

Funny Thing Happened While Buying Socks....

Hardin Morningwood

Well, in the process of digging around for information on firearms for this sport I have been looking at everything I can, everywhere I can. Tonight I stopped into a local Dick's to look for some socks and wandered past the rifles. I saw three coach guns in the rack and did a double take. It was on the double take I saw the SALE tags and something didn't ring right.

Called for a manager and asked to see them and while he was pulling one down with his right hand he was stripping away the sale tags with his left. So I asked and he went sheepish for a moment then admitted there was a mis taging. I know there is some ADD on the WIRE so I will cut to the chase, ended up walking out with a STF 3000 SxS for 349.00 w/ a 50.00 mail-in rebate to boot.

The Stoeger site lists SINGLE-TRIGGER COACH GUN SUPREME 12ga as SASS approved so...DAMN!!!!

Thats a darn good price for a Supreme.

With the rebate its almost like their giving it to ya. :lol:

Congrats! I like both of my Stoeger coach guns. a 12 ga and a 20 ga.

Guest diablo slim shootist

You can all ways warm your feet on those SXS barrels ;)

Good luck with your new shoot gun.I own 2 Stoegers

one with both triggers -Had to pay less for my single

trigger since they forgot to put that other one on.HAHA

Diablo

LOL....had not considered warming my feet on the barrels...thanks Diablo Slim...LOL

Yea RHL...at my final cost of $299. (after rebate) I could not go wrong. To that note, the manager must have seen a glint in my eye because when he agreed that they would have to sell it at the tagged price he added "but just this one, I can't do it for all three!". I wasn't gonna press him but had he not said that I was gonna clean them out.

One question, The chokes on the SxS have external knurled sections, is there a choke that does not protrude?

OK two questions...any pointers on loosening this thing up a bit?

LOL....had not considered warming my feet on the barrels...thanks Diablo Slim...LOL

Yea RHL...at my final cost of $299. (after rebate) I could not go wrong. To that note, the manager must have seen a glint in my eye because when he agreed that they would have to sell it at the tagged price he added "but just this one, I can't do it for all three!". I wasn't gonna press him but had he not said that I was gonna clean them out.

One question, The chokes on the SxS have external knurled sections, is there a choke that does not protrude?

OK two questions...any pointers on loosening this thing up a bit?

Well... I'm a-thinkin' the bestest way to "loosen this thing up a bit" it to just shoot it - a LOT~! :lol:

Dang, ya done good, Slim! ;)

Headed out this afternoon to do just that Hard pan. :D Gonna give it a good cleaning and then take down some bushwhackin, sidwindin, coach jumpin cholla.

Did a search for "Slicking a Stoeger" and "Stoeger chokes" and didn't return anything that was helpful.

So, you are bragging about taking advantage of some stock boy's mistake? By rights if the manager removed the red tag before he handed it to you, he had no stipulation to give you the price on the tag. That he did so is a good and honorable thing. Insisting on the red tag price -- maybe not so much, I dunno... If they were going to put those red tags on at a later date then no big deal. If they were meant to go on a lesser model, then the store may have lost money on the deal.

An interesting ethical conundrum. If the red tag was on the wrong gun and was never supposed to be on that model and was not ever gonna be on that one in some future sale, I would not have insisted on the "red tag" price I do not believe. Nope, if he removed the tag before handing it to me, the red tag is moot I think. It's a mind boggler. But no one else on this thread seems to think anything about it. Interesting.

I don't think they'd let it go out the door and loose money on the gun.

I never haggle a dealer on the price. What they tell me is good enough, if I want it for that price then I buy it.

Seems like they knew they screwed the pooch by marking it low, getting a buyer interested, and then tried to weasel out of it.

Ain't that a form of bait & switch?

I dunno. I been cogitatin' on this and turnin' it over and over in me punkin haid and cain't come to a conclusion of which way is the Cowboy Way. My pea brain can see both ways to go as being possibly acceptable. I just don't think I would have insisted on a mistake price. I mean in the capitalist system a store has to make a profit or go out of business. No place can afford to lose money on goods.

I agree, it is a conundrum. (hope I spelled that correctly)

Since they didn't have the original/true price he couldn't even split the difference.

Example;

I needed a compound miter saw. HD had it for lets say $450. I walk in to a local business and it is marked $575. As I'm walking out the door the guy ask if he can help me. I explain the price difference and we split the difference. The guy thanked me for not just walking out the door and said that making this % on the saw was better than nothing. (I had showed him the HD ad on my phone.) Its the one time I've haggled and I didn't even mean to do it. I was just going to walk out the door and buy it at HD. I paid more than I wanted and he made less than he wanted. Somehow we met in the middle.

ADDED - The reason I decided to pay a bit more was that this guy employs a service staff. I'm a definite sucker for keeping business at home.

DtB,

You got a good buy. They go for about that much used.

Choke tubes for Mossberg, Winchester or H&R will fit and seat flush.

As to slicking it up search Marauder's web site lots of good info there.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Lone Dog

Your mental predicament is interesting.

He didn't HAVE TO sell it to me at the tagged price but he did. Had he explained that there was a mistake and there was no way he could honor that price I would have said fine and went looking for the socks. From his perspective, the State of Arizona requires that you sell for the price marked on the item even if it is mismarked to preclude the a fore mentioned "Bait and Switch". I believe he knew this and made the single gun offer at the posted price.

If I wanted to be a PITA I could have pressured him to sell all three of them at the tagged price that was on them when he arrived to help. When he offered, with out my being a jerk and pressuring him, to stand by it for one, that was a fair compromise in my book. Someone treats me fair I respond in kind; I was being fair so I think he felt the same.

As for the SxS...took it out and ran a box through it...so far...no complaints.

Lone Dog

Your mental predicament is interesting.

He didn't HAVE TO sell it to me at the tagged price but he did. Had he explained that there was a mistake and there was no way he could honor that price I would have said fine and went looking for the socks. From his perspective, the State of Arizona requires that you sell for the price marked on the item even if it is mismarked to preclude the a fore mentioned "Bait and Switch". I believe he knew this and made the single gun offer at the posted price.

If I wanted to be a PITA I could have pressured him to sell all three of them at the tagged price that was on them when he arrived to help. When he offered, with out my being a jerk and pressuring him, to stand by it for one, that was a fair compromise in my book. Someone treats me fair I respond in kind; I was being fair so I think he felt the same.

As for the SxS...took it out and ran a box through it...so far...no complaints.

Works for me pard. Long as both you and the merchant were agreeable to the deal, well then fine. You sure did get a purdy good deal on a single trigger supreme. Pricewise that is. Long as it keeps working. The single trigger versions are reported to be way more problematic than the double trigger models. I been shootin' 2-trigger Stoegers for 15 years in this game with VERY few complaints. Good luck with the good purchase, might say it was your lucky day.

And about those self induced brain round-o's, well there doesn't seem to be no easy fix for those. I'm doomed!!

If it works out...I am ahead..If it does not, I have a great Home Defense gun. The single trigger would not have been my first choice, had the gun been at the 499.00 it was supposed to be tagged, it would still be there, I would still be looking and the world would still be turning...and I would have gotton my socks last night instead of when I went back today on my way back from shooting)

Don't worry about the conundrum, means you are a thinking man.

I don't spend my time wondering "What Would Hoppie Do", I just try and be fair in my life and let things fall where they may.

Well, in the process of digging around for information on firearms for this sport I have been looking at everything I can, everywhere I can. Tonight I stopped into a local Dick's to look for some socks and wandered past the rifles. I saw three coach guns in the rack and did a double take. It was on the double take I saw the SALE tags and something didn't ring right.

Called for a manager and asked to see them and while he was pulling one down with his right hand he was stripping away the sale tags with his left. So I asked and he went sheepish for a moment then admitted there was a mis taging. I know there is some ADD on the WIRE so I will cut to the chase, ended up walking out with a STF 3000 SxS for 349.00 w/ a 50.00 mail-in rebate to boot.

The Stoeger site lists SINGLE-TRIGGER COACH GUN SUPREME 12ga as SASS approved so...DAMN!!!!

Good catch!

Wonder if my wife would believe that I stopped at a sporting goods store for socks and walked out with a SxS... :)

Hey PSG...Thanks..I will look into those chokes fer certain and I will head to the site as well and see what Marauder can shed light on.

I was readin the handbook and it looks like I need to remove/disable the ejectors...more research.

Mathew, the lady was with me... :blink:

Never seen a Stoeger coach gun with ejectors. Uplanders with long barrels yes, coach guns no. Are you confusing extractors with ejectors? Extractors are legal for this game.

Please don't disable the extractors. Ye wud have to dig the shells out with fingernails or a pocket knife then.!!

Lone Dog I could be confusing the two for sure. Every other shot gun I have owned has been a pump so things are different here. (Yep, I was talking about extractor and not ejector...looked at the exploded parts diagram for what they called it so never mind...)

Thanks Charlie...nice to have Dillon as a source and the WIRE as a resource.

Hi Daniel,

Be cautious about manufacturers ads saying something is SASS legal... Also, just because something is advertised in the Chronicle (even on the same page as Tes's editorial) that does not mean it is SASS legal. A few folks have learned this the hard way.

Anyway, congratulations on your "find."

Regards,

Allie "just saying..." Mo

I always take "Legal" as a which means that someone is tel;ling someone else what they are supposed to be/say/do/accept which I find hard to take seriously. But your words are well met Miss Allie

Danite...yea, just imagine I might have a new shootin pony B) Thank goodness I got a pair of EarthWalkers made about 4 years back...whew

That's a great deal! As to whether or not the they should have honored the incorrectly labeled price, I think that they did the right thing. They may have not been legally obligated to do so, but avoiding a negative customer experience is worth something.

I avoided the single trigger model because of the negative reviews, but it sounds like your's works fine.

I'm surprised that your search engine didn't find Marauder's site when you searched "Slicking up a Stoeger". Here is the link: http://marauder.homestead.com/files/stoeger.html

If you want to lighten the opening lever, Longhunter has a great price on the spring. I had planned to change mine, but ended up not doing it after shooting a couple of matches with it. That is the same spring that keeps the gun locked, and I don't like making modifications that negatively impact reliablity. Still, if you go this route and it does cause a problem, swapping the stock spring back in is an easy fix.

If it were mine, I'd just remove the chokes for CAS use. The bigger the spread, the less time you have to spend on aiming. :D

Have fun with your new gun.

Archived