SASS Wire Forum

Got any specific goals for the CAS "season?"

Grizzly Dave

Got any specific goals for the CAS "season?"

Besides the usual shoot more, get faster, have fun, here are mine...

- SxS, I'd like to get faster at loading it, I fumble too much

faster second shot, and miss fewer SG targets, too many make ups

- Rifle, watching video of me shooting I still wrap my thumb over, want to break myself of that

need to work on mounting the rifle consistantly

- Pistols, fairly happy here, but would like to improve a bit speed wise from target to target

- Transitions, be more consistent with my stance.

- Match finish, I'd like to beat Brother King, Wolf Bane, and a few others like rented mules :D Just kidden guys!

Seriously, I'd like to continue to keep placing a little higher overall as I have been.

Slow progress is still progress

Do you have any specific goals?

Grizz

I have been at this for about 6 months.My goal for the next 6 months is to improve as much as I have the first 6 months.After that just get better and have as much fun as I have the first six months and make lots of friends.I want to start reloading shotgun shells.I have fun reloading my 38s on my new to me RL550B dillon.

Mine are simple. After watching a match or two while waiting for my rifle, shotgun, and holster rig to arrive on the big brown truck, (and I'm not a patient man), I plan to shoot my first match. Looking forward to it.

Shooting your first match is a great goal, nothing wrong with that. Don't feel like you have to wait until you have all your guns. Make contact with the club, tell them what you have, and chances are they can line up the rest.

Grizz

Last year I was able to get my stage times down into the lower 30s, with

This year I'd like to be consistently under 30 seconds.

My shotgun is my slowest gun, so I need to speed it up and improve my transitions.

--Dawg

Let's see...For this year I am trying to get some other local pards interested in this CAS shootin.

Our Local Sporting club has invested a lot of loot into the new berms and we is ready fer Cowboy Action!!!

Kinda lonely up here in the Berkshires! My best pard left fer Arizona fer good.

KK

Consistency - Eliminate Procedurals and train wrecks

Accuracy - Shoot clean more often and string together several consecutive clean matches

Mental game - Get in the Zone. Slow the game down mentally while speeding up physically

My ultimate goal though, would be a "triple crown" of sorts. That would be winning the B-Western category at the state championships in Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.

LOL Brother Dave! Shooting with you, Brother King, Chino, Louisiana Lightning, Badger and the other great Colorado shooters is what makes this game so much fun!

This season, Indiana Jackson and I are going to come to grips with the SxS shotgun...it's time to get all T-Bone Dooley on it. I also have a hesitation on the first shot...an issue I dealt with back in IPSC days as well. Fixed it once; I can fix it again.

I've cooked up some drills, based on both standard IPSC drills and ones shown me by ace 3-Gun shooter (and TOP SHOT winner) Iain Harrison, designed to focus on rapid sight aqquisition on the first shot and transitions.

I've been scraping along the edges of the top 10 in local matches...I plan to be solidly there by the end of this season...

Wolf "Hopeful" Bane

SASS13557

LOL Brother Dave! Shooting with you, Brother King, Chino, Louisiana Lightning, Badger and the other great Colorado shooters is what makes this game so much fun!

This season, Indiana Jackson and I are going to come to grips with the SxS shotgun...it's time to get all T-Bone Dooley on it. I also have a hesitation on the first shot...an issue I dealt with back in IPSC days as well. Fixed it once; I can fix it again.

I've cooked up some drills, based on both standard IPSC drills and ones shown me by ace 3-Gun shooter (and TOP SHOT winner) Iain Harrison, designed to focus on rapid sight aqquisition on the first shot and transitions.

I've been scraping along the edges of the top 10 in local matches...I plan to be solidly there by the end of this season...

Wolf "Hopeful" Bane

SASS13557

You're going to have to share these drills with me. I need all the help I can get.

LL'

My goal for this year is to shoot at at least two more venues and to shoot at a couple of state meets. Personally I want to shoot faster than I was shooting at the end of last year. I would love to shoot a clean match. I have shot several one miss matches, but never clean.

Mostly I want to talk my wife into trying CAS. She keeps saying that shooting is my thing and she has been supportive, but I know she would love it if she gave it a try.

Just thought of another goal...

At Comin' At Cha 2010 I finished 319th out of 381. My goal would be to finish say 290th or below. Would love to finish in the top ten in my category, but that's not realistic, especially in Cowboy unless only ten sign up for it.

Just thought of another goal...

At Comin' At Cha 2010 I finished 319th out of 381. My goal would be to finish say 290th or below. Would love to finish in the top ten in my category, but that's not realistic, especially in Cowboy unless only ten sign up for it.

Dave,

No goal is unrealistic until YOU choose to make it so.

When I started shooting - I shot regularly with a couple of multi time state champions.

And I thought shooting at their speed was beyond what I would ever be able to do.

I still shoot with these guys and sometimes I beat them.

I am glad I never decided that would be unrealistic.

At WR:

2009 to 2010 - I moved up five positions in category and 58 positions overall.

2010 to 2011 - I moved up three positions in category and 39 positions overall.

I know the challenges and I understand the competition but next year...

I always hold out hope for what is possible.

Your goals may difficult to obtain, but never label them as "Unrealistic"

Shoot a clean match (my last match I was one target shy). After moving this next week, get settled into my new club (join their club and start shooting). Get my new Beretta Renegade slicked up as well as my 97 and Rock Island 1911. Just waiting for my WB rig to show up and will be shooting in that venue as soon as it arrives. And finally, introduce my parents to my hobby of SASS (since I am moving to less than 3 miles from them and 5 miles from my new range).

Well... Let's see...

Shoot my first match... Sunday got rained out.

Get to the eye doctor and see what can be figured out to help me see and shoot better in general.

Maybe more CAS guns? Is it too early to want more when I haven't shot a match yet? Naaahhh.... :D

Guest diablo slim shootist

Shoot a clean match "gunfighter" and break that 30 sec. per stage

time.But most of all to help as many new shooters get started in

our sport-Its for their own good! :rolleyes::blush:

Your goals may difficult to obtain, but never label them as "Unrealistic"

AMEN Creeker. Some of our biggest obstacles in life is that feller in the mirror.

That feller in the mirror is usually the one who beats me more than anyone else.

This year, I hope to improve alittle with speed and efficiency. But in a small way, I hope all my shooting Pards do also. I love the competition whether I'm getting 1st place or 5th place.

Have faith in yeowndangself.

And don't be selfish with what the Good Lord has given ya if it can help someone along this short trail.

Hope to see you fellers somewhere on the firing line.

..........Widder

Howdy

I have no illusions, or desires, to shoot any faster. Sure as heck don't want to practice, what a waste of ammo. All I want is to shoot a few clean matches.

1. Enjoy shooting with the wife with me. :wub:

The last few years she only hit 3 matches a year. And that includes local.

This years she said she is shooting more. Already hit a couple monthlys, and signed up for

5 big matches. Got her a bigger camper so she will be more comfortable while we go.

But now this high fuel prices might hinder this some. Not signing up for anymore big matches

that we was thinking about going to. Just have to hit more local monthlys. <_<

2. Hit as many as time and money allows.

Again. Fuel prices is going to play a role here.

3. Have a good time at each one of them.

4. Be more consistant in my shooting.

I tend to run off the tracks at least once at every match.

And a couple times at a big one. Need to stop those train wrecks.

Last. Place better at the matches I go to. #4 plays a role here.

Like to place at Texas State again. Have never been less than 3rd.

Getting 2nd at the last one I went to. Did not go last year. Be nice to win it.

But if I can do #4. That would be all I could ask. Some good Duelist in Texas.

Would lile to do better at the Open and Comin At'Cha also. But agian. #4 would take care of

that for me.

But even if I don't.

As long as I can do #1. It would be a great year. :rolleyes:

ok ok ok....

Top ten in Cowboy at Comin at Cha is not a realistic SHORT TERM goal for me, hows that? :D I do hear what you are saying though. When setting goals I try to make them specific, attainable in the time frame, and identify specific steps to achieve them.

Shoot a clean Stage.

Improve my shotgun load/unload.

Go to at least one big match.

Try out Black powder.

I'm retired and still alive. Reached all my goals I reckon. :lol:

My ambitious goal for this year is to win duelist category at the Ohio state match. I got some work do before then, mostly getting my misses down. Hopefully spring gets here soon so I can actually get some real shooting in. Dry firing is getting boring.

Someday I'd like to win overall state champ. But there's some real good shooters around here I got to catch up with first.

But I'll be happy just to shoot as much as possible and have a good time.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Hey Griz, my only goal is to go to as many shoot's as I can and have enough fun as I can. Don't care if I shoot good but I'll dress purty and see alot of old friends.

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

It has been a year this week since I hemorrhaged out and had a series of strokes. I tried one shoot but after trying to make it up some stairs carrying my shotgun and rifle, in 100+ heat, I wound up in the ambulance again(with a little help from JT Wild and Light Angel). The rest of the shoots I counted for other shooters. My goal this year is to make it through a shoot. I have re-arranged my rig to make drawing and shooting easier, switched hammers to make cocking the things easier and although I may have to have help staging my long guns I think I am ready. Some goal, just to make it clear through a shoot, but it works for me.

Shoot a clean match.

Shoot a match with black powder.

Shoot a match gunfighter.

Shoot a wild bunch match.

That's not too many goals for an entire year is it?

Heck, I might be able to do the first three at one match!

Archived