SASS Wire Forum

reloads

Brazos Jim

Why waste gunpowder...use a slingshot. .45 cal? .44 cal? you don't say. I'm just funnin' ya. I still use Bullseye and Unique.

Big Jake

Why waste gunpowder...use a slingshot. .45 cal? .44 cal? you don't say. I'm just funnin' ya. I still use Bullseye and Unique.

Big Jake

you mean there's people out there shootin sumpin other than 45 Colt?!

Trail Boss is a very poor choice for reduced loads. Very, very dirty and lots of unburned powder. While my personal choice of powders is Promo, for reduced loads Clays would be my first choice.

Plus 1 on that recommendation. Clays is a far better choice.

RBK

Brazos Jim: PM Sent.

Trail Boss is a very poor choice for reduced loads. Very, very dirty and lots of unburned powder. While my personal choice of powders is Promo, for reduced loads Clays would be my first choice.

My experience is just the opposite and found that TB is a great powder for reduced loads. Having said that, certain laws of physics apply with any powder. If your goal is low power, use a smaller case like a Schofield or Cowboy Special. The .45 Colt case is too big and is a lousy choice with any powder for minimum loads. If ya want great gas mileage, don't use a 427 V8. ^_^

The Hodgdon site's minimum suggested load for TB behind a 200 grain 45 Colt bullet is about 700 fps. With the same bullet TB tops out at about 850 fps. That is only 150 fps spread across it's published range. TB is a remarkably consistent powder. That isn't a bug. TB was designed to be very forgiving of beginning reloader errors, at least in the published range. You are going to have to really dial back below minimum to slow a 200 grain bullet down to 600 fps. As Slim says the standard 45 LC is a very big case. Lots of things can happen with a small amount of powder in a big case. Drop too much below the published minimum and you will suffer from inconsistent performance. That inconsistency could lead to a loss of confidence, more misses and slower times.I suspect you would be better served by shooting a 160 grain bullet at the bottom of the power rnage.

Archived