SASS Wire Forum

Black & Smokeless in same Rifle?

Muchacho Viejo

I've never shot black powder, don't know beans about it, but have had an interest in giving it a try.

Just bought a near new Winchester High Wall, model 1885 in .38-55.

Can I switch back and forth, shooting smokeless and black power or black powder substitute in this rifle? If so, any precautions? :huh:

Thanks

Muchacho Viejo

Sure, just make sure to clean all the smokeless residue before you shoot BP. BP clean up is easy with any water based cleaner. I use Murphy's mix, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, and 1/3 Murphy's oil soap. Finish up with a spray, wipe, and patch with Ballistol. Course once you start shooting BP you'll never want to shoot that passing fad smokeless stuff. :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r:

MV

I am kinda in the same boat that you are , I have been thinking of doing BP cartage . It seems to be the more I read the less I understand about BP .

I have been told that you relly need to clean well before switching between the powder types .

I shoot both but I do not mix them , make srue you have plenty of lube thet is compatable with the powder type .

CB

Once the bore is cleaned then shoot either one. but not at the same time.

BP is sensitive to the lead softness, and the type of lube on the bullet. So buy bullets made and lubed for BP and also load them in your smokeless rounds. Never the other way around.

Real BP is easily cleaned and very sensitive to moisture in the air or lack there of. Smokeless and substitutes not so much.

You will probably need to use a blow tube with real BP, like GOEX, or run a patch down the bore after each shot. This insures that the fouling isn't getting hard and thick. If it does you will get flyer bullets. a tight group of about 1' to 4'.

Also because BP burns and doesn't explode to produce the gases to push the bullet you should put a wad between the powder and the bullet. This will prevent the bullet base from melting away causing flyers and leaded barrels. 1/16" thick wads can be bought or get a punch and make them from a milk carton.

As with any long range round consistent case length, and the amount of crimp will effect your accuracy. The 38-55 if loaded consistently and if the shooter does his job will be accurate out to 500 yards.

Now if your shooting long range at most SASS matches then load for 60 to 100yds!

PS most of us lube the bore with Bore Butter which is made specifically for BP and can be used for smokeless.

I hope this helps

Ike

Good info, THANKS! This is enough to get me moving forward, I'll enlist the advice of some of the local black powder Pard's to steer me right on the particulars. :)

Also because BP burns and doesn't explode to produce the gases to push the bullet you should put a wad between the powder and the bullet. This will prevent the bullet base from melting away causing flyers and leaded barrels. 1/16" thick wads can be bought or get a punch and make them from a milk carton.

Actually, it is the other way around. Black Powder explodes. Smokeless powder burns progressively. The more it is contained, the faster it burns.

Black Powder is classified as a true explosive, that's why storage requirements for it are stricter than for Smokeless Powder. Light a match to a pile of Black Powder and it explodes, even if it is not contained at all. The reason bullet bases tend to melt with Black Powder is because it 'burns' hotter than Smokeless Powder.

This stuff can get a little bit confusing. Black Powder is a relatively 'slow' explosive, but it is a true explosive. With Smokeless, once it is contained in a cartridge, it burns faster and faster. So the total effect can be that the pressure curve of Smokeless can be quicker overall than the relatively slow pressure curve of Black Powder. But technically speaking, Black Powder is an explosive, Smokeless Powders are progressively burning propellants.

Winchester made a different thickness in the high wall receiver that was going to shoot black and smokeless than the rifle just for black. It was thicker.

Well....how could one tell if a rifle was OK for both? :huh:

Archived