SASS Wire Forum

BOND ARMS DERRINGER?

Ken K

Howdy Pards;

Has anyone tried the Bond Arms Derringer in 410/.45LC ?

Recoil is not as bad as I thought with 410 buck shot 2-1/2".

Shoots great with .45 LC Cowboy loads too.

You can get just about any barrel you would want for it as well.

http://www.bondarms.com/store/

Could use it for side match then have for home defense . Two shots 8 hits!!!!

KK

I wouldn't ever consider one for home defense unless I was using it to defend against cockroaches.

KK,

I used to own an American Derringer in the same chambering. It was fun to shoot. This was before the new buckshot rounds were available but it was a great little snake gun. I carried it a lot in my back pocket while I was hog hunting in the palmettos here in Florida.

I am sure you saw the adds on the Bond and that they seem to be thought of very highly here on the wire.

I haven’t been to any shoots that have side matches but have my pocket pistol and would like to have a Bond as well.

As far as home-defense goes, you and I both know there are better choices. I will say though, I sure wouldn’t want to face two rounds of the 3 inch 5 pellet 000 rounds up close. Like in this add: http://www.bondarms.com/ :o

Your Pard,

J.D. Lee

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

I wouldn't ever consider one for home defense unless I was using it to defend against cockroaches.

Whoa, there.... I carry one where ever I go....

'Course... I ususally have three or more other'un's on my person, as well.

ts

WHAT? Someone is making a Derringer that shoots .410 shells? What will they think of next? :blush:

KK,

I used to own an American Derringer in the same chambering. It was fun to shoot. This was before the new buckshot rounds were available but it was a great little snake gun. I carried it a lot in my back pocket while I was hog hunting in the palmettos here in Florida.

I am sure you saw the adds on the Bond and that they seem to be thought of very highly here on the wire.

I haven’t been to any shoots that have side matches but have my pocket pistol and would like to have a Bond as well.

As far as home-defense goes, you and I both know there are better choices. I will say though, I sure wouldn’t want to face two rounds of the 3 inch 5 pellet 000 rounds up close. Like in this add: http://www.bondarms.com/ :o

Your Pard,

J.D. Lee

Hey..Howdy J.D.

Well I got one of them thar Bond Arms. I just shot it today. The 410 4 ball buck shot does a great job. The .45LC Cowboy loads shoot good as well.

I will keep my 410 version available at home...And of course my 1911 .45ACP will be there. 2 shots 8 hits!!! with 2-1/2" shell.

I certainly would not hesitate to use it if needed!!

I also have a few Davis Derringers in various calibers. I always have one of them on me. NOTE: I didn't say it would be my only gun though.

Maybe I should bring one down for you in Oct!!!!! 15th to 31st Oct. this year

KK~!~

Whoa, there.... I carry one where ever I go....

'Course... I ususally have three or more other'un's on my person, as well.

ts

Thanks for the back up Pard!! I never said I wouldn't have something else available too!!

In 2 shots you get 8 hits!!! And not as damaging to my house walls!!!!

Thanks;

KK

Thanks for the back up Pard!! I never said I wouldn't have something else available too!!

In 2 shots you get 8 hits!!! And not as damaging to my house walls!!!!

Thanks;

KK

Remember... the Bond is a "last ditch"... smellin' the bad guy's bad breath... kinda deal. After shootin' it quite a few times... found out quick-like that I could not hit the ground... if I fell out of a tree with it. If I use the Bond... that means I am totally out of ammo with my carry pistolas. At that point... there's no aimin' to it.... it's gonna be pressed up snugly against somebody's gut. Had a picture of my Bond... but I can't seem to find it.

My main carry guns...

Heckle and Jeckle

One final note... all the pistols that you could possibly ever tote on yore person... don't mean nothin'...

If somebody gets the drop on ya.

ts

Remember... the Bond is a "last ditch"... smellin' the bad guy's bad breath... kinda deal. After shootin' it quite a few times... found out quick-like that I could not hit the ground... if I fell out of a tree with it. If I use the Bond... that means I am totally out of ammo with my carry pistolas. At that point... there's no aimin' to it.... it's gonna be pressed up snugly against somebody's gut. Had a picture of my Bond... but I can't seem to find it.

My main carry guns...

Heckle and Jeckle

One final note... all the pistols that you could possibly ever tote on yore person... don't mean nothin'...

If somebody gets the drop on ya.

ts

GEE we cain't have them up here in Mass.

But we can have the A-O 1911 GI and the S&W 1911PD

Always keep them handy!!!

KK

I have wanted one of these for a while. I have shot Lightning Wayne's .38 and thought it was really nice for side matches. Then I handeled a couple that Jimmy Spur had at Guns of August. That made me really want one! Extreamly smooth with a great trigger. Gotta get one from him. Maybe at GOA this year. We will see.

KQ

I bought that same Bond derringer because, well I forget why but I got it anyway. Anyway, mine will not chamber my .45 reloads. It chambers factory loads a little snugly but they will at least fit in. .410 shotshells aren't a problem either. My reloads are sized with Dillon dies on a 550. They work in six different Rugers, a Beretta and a Taurus Thunderbolt. I tried RCBS dies with and without a factory crimp die and they do the same thing. It's not like it gets shot a lot, but I'd like to use reloads anyway. Anybody got any ideas?

Cherokee Slim

Of the folks that think a 2 shot derringer will save their hide in a SD shooting I ask this.

How many shootings have you been in?

ME, been in 2....And I wasn't carring no derringer either. It was a 1911 with 3 mags. Remember, you ALWAYS reload after "contact", BTW.

Bonds are great "toys" for cowboy......SD, no way in hell.

Respectfully,

LG

Of the folks that think a 2 shot derringer will save their hide in a SD shooting I ask this.

ME, been in 2....And I wasn't carring no derringer either. It was a 1911 with 3 mags. Remember, you ALWAYS reload after "contact", BTW.

Respectfully,

LG

Just for the record........I do not rely on the Bond Arms derringer for self defense!!!!!

I was just making a joke!!!! I have other guns for that..BUT It IS always loaded AND ready!!!

But I did get a lot of good feedback on this post as well!!!!

Thanks;

Pards

Respectfully,

LG

1. I know a fella who's been in several... not as proud of 'em as some folks are. Matter of fact... he has many regrets about how he could have possibly handled things differently... and, tragically... not happy about some of the outcomes.

Respectfully,

LG

2. Following that logic... since CAS only started up around 1979... derringers were only invented since then. With no self-respecting SD purpose... absolutely no way could derringers have existed for 140 years.

Knew a fella back in the '70's... never talked with him but I saw him quite frequently in and around Newark and Camden. Tryed to stay out of his way. He answered to "The Polack"... and, although he was a really big guy... I know for a fact that he always carried a Remington derringer in his sock. I'd say he didn't carry it for target practice... and was considered by all to be a fairly dangerous man. (Later proven.) He passed on to fire lake here recently ('06)... probably a rankin' member down there.

Best regards,

ts

My Bond is a 45 Colt "Only" version. I am intrigued that you found the .410 version to shoot 45 Colt really well. I figured that long jump from chamber to rifling would really muck-up the deal. I don't shoot mine enough. Even with polished parts and light springs, it has a trigger pull way heavier than my revolvers. It took a lot of work to get it shoot POI with POA off of sand bags and to get the two barrels regulated to shoot to about the same POI. But, I finally did get it within reason; but since the over barrel recoils more upwardly, it still shoots a bit higher off hand. That is not a big problem IF I remember which barrel is going to shoot next soze I Kentucky my hold.

prs

I've got one .45/.410 and also bought the extra .22LR barrel. I can get the .22 to print two shots within an inch of each other at 10 yds. Makes for a fun little plinker and small pest popper. The .45 barrels print about 6 to 8" apart at the same distance. Recoil is noticeable with my usual BP rounds. The only living thing I've shot with it was a coyote in a snare at about 10 ft.. Didn't even twitch. The shot loads are questionable at best. Have tried various sizes of bird shot and found penetration at even very close range to be neglible. Just don't think there's enough barrel length there.

It's a well made pistol, but realistically its a novelty piece that's too large for a last ditch hideout gun. Fun to play with and very good for derringer side matches.

Archived