SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 650 Deforming Primers

Long Branch Louie

I have a Dillon 650 that I just set up and am trying to use. It is not a new press, but in excellent shape. I've got it working, but about half the time it is slightly deforming the primer when it seats it. These are small Federal primers, they are not going into the case hard, in fact, they seat fairly easy. I don't see anything in the manual about adjusting the primer seating tool. It is slightly denting them when they seat. Anybody had this problem before. The primer tool looks OK. Thanks...

As long as they fire don't worry about it. My 550 has been dong the same thing for 18 years now. Primers are soft, they dent.

It doesn't have an adjustment, but look to see if the anvil is recessed into the primer seater assembly. The one that came with my 650 was too high and it caused problems until I ground it off level. Dillon sent me a new one that was recessed.

If all else fails, call Dillon. They will be able to help you identify and repair and problem.

Even though it is used, it is still covered under their outstanding warranty and customer support.

The primer punch gets crud on it. Scrape it off with something or use a brass brush on it. Do it at top of stroke i.e. handle all the way down with no brass in primer seating station. Mine seems like a small layer of lead or some kind of build up occurs.

Dillon presses are designed such that the rotating shell plate scrapes powder, lead fragments, bullet lube and other crud into the primer seating ram. It sticks in there until you clean it (at top of primer ram stroke, as mentioned). There really ought to be a slot cut into the 650 (and 550) press frame to let crud drop free just before the primer seating station, but there isn't. So, we have to check it occasionally and clean it (every time I load another batch of primers works for me).

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the info, looks like that's the trouble. It does seem a little high, I guess I will call Dillon and try out the no BS warranty.....

Archived