SASS Wire Forum

saw original Colt double barrell today

Trigger Mike

I saw it at a local gun store, it had no finish left, but must have been polished as the metal shined. It seemed to lock up nice and the hammers seemed to work. A really long barrell. It was a 10 guage. They wanted 950. Is that a good price? Will modern ammo work in it or is that not a good idea? The barrell is so long it would nearly touch the knockdown targets. Thought it'd be neat to use that, my original 1873 rile and my 1st gen Colt SAA at a match.

There was one on the used shotgun rack at Gander Mountain several years ago. 12 gauge and 28 inch Damascus barrels. Decent shape, and locked up tight. The price was $1200, and it was gone a week later.

I saw it at a local gun store, it had no finish left, but must have been polished as the metal shined. It seemed to lock up nice and the hammers seemed to work. A really long barrell. It was a 10 guage. They wanted 950. Is that a good price? Will modern ammo work in it or is that not a good idea? The barrell is so long it would nearly touch the knockdown targets. Thought it'd be neat to use that, my original 1873 rile and my 1st gen Colt SAA at a match.

If you don't want it......I'll take it.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

does anyone know a good source for 10 guage black powder shells?

By far the best thing is to load your own.

At present, Rocky Mountain Cartridge produces 10 ga brass shells. Quite pricey, but they'll last danged near forever.

Magtech is gearing up to produce 10 ga brass shotshells... they'll most likely be more moderately priced.

Brass shotshells are simple and fun to load, and do provide for "style points!" ^_^

there is one in a pawn shop in utah, seen it, held it

On the range film set, I held a 1st gen colt 45 today, manufactured 1885+-

all orginial, even the broken grips

I made the badd boy target then watched "pawn star" Rick shoot it up

if that gun could only tell its stories.......

who wooda ever knowed that 126 years later, it would be on TV

By far the best thing is to load your own.

At present, Rocky Mountain Cartridge produces 10 ga brass shells. Quite pricey, but they'll last danged near forever.

Magtech is gearing up to produce 10 ga brass shotshells... they'll most likely be more moderately priced.

Brass shotshells are simple and fun to load, and do provide for "style points!" ^_^

MY STARS!! $73 for a box of 10 would break you by the time you finished the first match. Maybe I better by a shot shell loader.

what are some things to look for if I buy it?

Look for pitting inside and outside the barrels. If it is deep pitting you should think about some of those barrel inserts mentioned above.

MY STARS!! $73 for a box of 10 would break you by the time you finished the first match. Maybe I better by a shot shell loader.

Actually, you don't need a loading machine to reload the brass shells. Something to knock out the old primer with, then either a shotshell priming tool or a simple, flat piece of steel for an "anvil" and a wooden dowel to seat the new primer are the most sopisticated "reloading tool" you'll need - plus something to measure shot and powder, of course. Those you can make yourself pretty simply.

There are 10 gauge barrel inserts made to convert the chambers to 12 gauge.

http://www.chambermates.com/patterns.htm

Now, these would be cool...! :rolleyes:

That seems to be a good price, the Colt 10 gauge I saw was at least $1400.

Here are some useful places to order 10 gauge components, I've ordered from all of them and been very happy at the service:

http://www.grafs.com

http://www.ballisticproducts.com

http://www.precisionreloading.com/

It is rare to see ANY 10 gauge double below $800 in the gunstores, I certainly never have.

I just went to Magtech's website and they are listing a 9.1 gauge brass shotgun shell. Is that supposed to be for 10 gauges or is that for industrial use?

Archived