SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Sequences

Hey Pards:

Need some advice on shootin' Gunfighter Sequences. I've been shootin' Traditional Style since 1999, and recently switched to Gunfighter Style. Having a blast with it, but have discovered that some RO's have varied opinions as to how a Gunfighter can legally engage certain pistol sequences.

Example #1: Scenario reads: Engage pistol targets in a 1,3,1 with 1st pistol from the left. Engage pistol targets in a 1,3,1 with 2nd pistol from the left. There are only 3 pistol targets, set in a single row, at approx th same height, P1, P2, P3. Can a Gunfighter legally engage the with the following sequence?

1 left handed on P1, 1 right handed on P1

1 left handed on P2, 1 right handed on P2

1 left handed on P3, 1 right handed on P3

OR is the Gunfighter required to engage in:

1 left handed on P1

1 right handed on P2

1 left handed on P2

1 right handed on P2

1 left handed on P3

then:

1 left handed on P1

1 right handed on P2

1 left handed on P2

1 right handed on P2

1 right handed on P3

Just tryin' to figure out the most efficient way to shoot Gunfighter, and have fun with it.

Your advice or other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Redneck Rebel

Rebel,

This is a common mis-understanding, especially with new gunfighters. As a gunfighter, you must think of first pistol as meaning first 5 shots and second pistol as next 5 shots. We don't really have a first and second pistol, just 10 shots. And of course, Jethro was correct.

Possum

The other 2 got it right. First 5 shots, second 5 shots.

1 left handed on P1

1 right handed on P2

1 left handed on P2

1 right handed on P2

1 left handed on P3

then:

1 left handed on P1

1 right handed on P2

1 left handed on P2

1 right handed on P2

1 right handed on P3

Would of course be correct, though I would start with my right hand, because it's easier to go from P3 to P1 - shots 5 and 6 - (assuming L to R). But that's just me.

As a gunfighter, you must think of first pistol as meaning first 5 shots and second pistol as next 5 shots. We don't really have a first and second pistol, just 10 shots.

Possum

Yep, and this applies to any shooting style. PW has said any back to back pistols are a 10 shot string. When I write stages I don't use the phrases "engage", or "first pistol-second pistol", or "holster". For this stage I would say;

"with pistols shoot two 1-3-1 sweeps starting on the left"

Now lets say you are shooting Cowboy or Duelist, with first pistol you shoot 4 rounds and forget where you are and holster, draw second pistol and cock it just about the time the spotters holler "ONE MORE" With the cocked second pistol you would shoot the last target of the first sweep, then the next four targets of the second sweep, holster and draw first pistol to finish the second sweep. I have seen this happen, and because the stage instructions had "with first pistol" and "holster" some wanted to give him a P. Sorry didn't mean to get off topic.

The other 2 got it right. First 5 shots, second 5 shots

Would of course be correct, though I would start with my right hand, because it's easier to go from P3 to P1 - shots 5 and 6 - (assuming L to R). But that's just me.

Or if you didn't want any crossover you could change your lead, but anytime I try I usually get confused at the end. :wacko: so I don't try anymore :D

L1- R2, L2, L2 -R3

L1- R2, R2, L2 -R3

Jefro :ph34r:

Write the stage for traditional/duelist shooters. Gunfighters will translate. Bottom line are two key concepts about gunfighters:

1. Gunfighters must Hit the Targets in the same order as everyone else.

2. For a 10 shot revolver string, gunfighters may use either revolver for ANY shot being taken (each loaded with 5).

The ONLY instruction specific to a gunfighter is if the revolvers may/may not be placed on a prop for split revolver runs.

Thank you for thinking about it ahead of time!

Cheers,

BJT

I'm with Doc S, I'd start with the right gun. After a few years of shooting gunfighter, I've discovered that picking which gun to start with is key to getting the sequence to work. If you set your mind on the first gun at the loading table, the rest just flows without a lot of thinking.

Redneck Rebel, glad to see you've taken on gunfighter. There will be a lot more questions as you go, keep asking. I haven't found a gunfighter yet that won't be glad to help you out.

Will you make it to Lakewood Marshalls this Saturday? If not, hope to see you there soon. Sgt Eli posted directions on this wire if you don't have them yet.

Rev Willy Dunkum

Why not

R-1 L-2 R-2 L-2 R-3

L-1 R-2 L-2 R-2 L-3

This would be the truest of GF'n sequence

Redneck Rebel, glad to see you've taken on gunfighter. There will be a lot more questions as you go, keep asking. I haven't found a gunfighter yet that won't be glad to help you out.

Will you make it to Lakewood Marshalls this Saturday? If not, hope to see you there soon. Sgt Eli posted directions on this wire if you don't have them yet.

Rev Willy Dunkum

Hey Rev:

Cant make the March Shoot, we have visitors for the weekend, but I have the directions, and hope to get over and shoot with you folks in April or May. I checked out all of the pics on the Lakewoods Marshals web site, and it sure looks like a great setting for a shoot. I shot Gunfighter last week in KY. Finished up with a 168, 5th overall. This is more fun than a barrel of Monkeys, drinking Peach Sqeezins'. Later, Redneck

Why not

R-1 L-2 R-2 L-2 R-3

L-1 R-2 L-2 R-2 L-3

If you're asking...yes it's perfectly legal.

If you're suggesting... It's as good as any, if that's the way you want to shoot it. ^_^

have discovered that some RO's have varied opinions as to how a Gunfighter can legally engage certain pistol sequences.

If you are concerned about how you are going to do a stage and think that it might be confusing to the RO....tell him prior to the beep how you are going to do it.....this allows him to follow your sequence and also dispute a spotter who can't follow you and who wants to give you a Procedural.

When you watch Mad River Marty, Lassiter, Tall Drink or Possum shoot.....you sometimes say to yourself.....DAMNNN! that was fast....to the point that if you weren't a fellow gunfighter you couldn't follow their sequence.....

Good shootin to ya.

Gunfighters Rule

KK

I find it interesting that we have RO's who do not understand. As has been pointed out, this comes up frequently with new gunfighters and as you have already learned, when you're shooting gunfighter, RO's or spotters may not understand and even when you attempt to explain, they might look at you as if you're crazy. In other words, what can be a little confusing to someone learning to shoot gunfighter (and sometimes experienced gunfighters) can blow the minds of those who have spent little or no time thinking about such things.

Whenever I am asked this question, my answer begins with this canned sentence: "A gunfighter may shoot the targets in ANY order available to other shooters."

If the pistol sequence was given as five targets with two shots on each target in any order, most gunfighters will double tap across, but there's a ton of orders available to them that are perfectly okay simply because they are available to the other shooters. To say one round on each target for the first five rounds and one round on each target for the next five rounds...changes the whole ballgame. Add "no double tapping" changes it. This is a good time to throw in that I hate the word "repeat" in stage instructions.

Good luck to ya!

I will jump in with the other Gun Fighters and welcome to the way it should be done. The other GF's have told you what is correct, however, we have some GF's that "double cock" and can shift leads like it is nothing. I can not do that, my lead change will always lead to a "P". I suggest you learn to lead with either hand. There are some target orders that leading with one hand or the other will cut down drasticly on movement.

Just my .02 worth.

I would shoot it

L1 R2 L2 R2 R3 L1 L2 R2 L2 R3 but then again I double cock on a stage like that,makes it real easy to make a lead change,and their are no crossovers. Of course shots 3 and 4 ,7 and 8 could be reversed as to which one goes first,so it could be L1 R2 R2 L2 R3 L1 R2 L2 L2 R3,but you got to keep your mind in it,and decide for sure how you're gonna do it,no thinking about different possibilities when you step up to the firing line.Been there done that makes for a real interesting stage.

P.S. good to see you on the wire Redneck!

The thing about GunFightererer is to NOT overthink it ....

....... it ain't rocket surgery. :unsure:

ps ...... there are still some " adjudicators" who think that you HAVE to alternate shots ...

(have a rulebook on hand and, if necessary, ask the "adjudicator" to show you the rule you broke ... ;)

I would shoot it

L1 R2 L2 R2 R3 L1 L2 R2 L2 R3 but then again I double cock on a stage like that,makes it real easy to make a lead change,and their are no crossovers. Of course shots 3 and 4 ,7 and 8 could be reversed as to which one goes first,so it could be L1 R2 R2 L2 R3 L1 R2 L2 L2 R3,but you got to keep your mind in it,and decide for sure how you're gonna do it,no thinking about different possibilities when you step up to the firing line.Been there done that makes for a real interesting stage.

P.S. good to see you on the wire Redneck!

I dont understand the advantage of this confusing sequence?

Most Gunfighters guns follow each other when aiming so that pistol order as it is listed would take less movement. We have some double cockers who can shift leads without even thinking about it. I have to alternate cocking but I dont aim and I cross guns a lot

I dont understand the advantage of this confusing sequence?

Marshal Max Henry:

In the initial seq that Hardscrabble uses, he is not performing any cross overs. He is only making lead changes.

For some GFer's, a lead change works better for them. For others, the crossover works well.

One of the things to consider when deciding to either use a crossover or lead change is the distance between each target. If targets are close to each other (side by side), I will use crossovers. If those targets are far apart and would hamper a smooth crossover technique, I would change leads as appropriate.

Hope this helps understand why some folks prefer the lead change while others prefer the crossover.

PLUS, as my good friend TN Tombstone points out, there are some shooters who are sooooo dang good with the double cocking method, lead changes are a natural for them.

..........Widder

Archived