SASS Wire Forum

What is it?

Newlee SASS#5469

Heard about a mule eared side-by-side that has a what appears to be approx 38 cal barrel mounted between and under the shotgun barrels. Going to look at it but would like to have an idea of what I'm looking at. They tell me it's old but so far that's about all I know. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

NewLee

SASS # 5469

Heard about a mule eared side-by-side that has a what appears to be approx 38 cal barrel mounted between and under the shotgun barrels. Going to look at it but would like to have an idea of what I'm looking at. They tell me it's old but so far that's about all I know. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

NewLee

SASS # 5469

Possibly a German or Austrian "Drilling" (three barrels) and the rifle barrel might be anywhere from .224 caliber through 9.3mm. The 9.3x74 cartridge is common, and that'd be about .366 caliber. You might looks for maker's name; if the gun was made in Suhl, Germany or a few other gun-making centers like Ferlach, Austria, it'd likely be good quality.

Reasoning behind Drillings and other multi-purpose guns -- there are Vierlings (4 barrels), single rifle-shotgun combos (two barrels), etc. -- is partly because of law and taxes, partly because of Continental hunting practices (driven, mixed game hunts).

-Chris

Archived