SASS Wire Forum

Fed Up --- Anyone else ?

Am I the only one that is fed up with the PS Ads coming up on the forum now ? When I go into the forum, half the page is taken up by headers and ads. I have heard the discussion of "just ignore them". If that is the case, why not just "ignore" things like off topic discussions, specific cartridge loads, etc. This is far from a public service forum. We as SASS members pay to support this forum. By the way, in case you have not take the time to read it, here is a quote from the forum laws:

Q: Why no commercial Posts?A: SASS decided the SASS Wire would be a commercial free site. SASS believes it keeps the site pure and honest without the influence of savvy business programs designed to solicit the users. Keeping it commercial free has played an important role.

Q: What is a commercial Post?A: A commercial post is when a company, business or proprietor comes on the Wire and posts their website or promotion or when they directly solicit business in response to another’s post for advice. This post is deleted immediately.

And while I'm on a rant, I find that stupid DeLorean/time machine reference totally contradictory to the standards and values set up for SASS.

Thank you for listening ...

Kid AtHeart

Howdy

I am not getting the ads. Perhaps it is because of my pop up blocker. I agree I don't much like the DeLorean, but at least they moved it to the bottom of the page.

I hear you Kid...but I got to say to you and all of us...and myself...it's our own fault.....Gone are the days when outfits like this gun maker and that powder guy will give anybody thousands of dollars for this club and that event....Organizations are like churches.....God is not going to pay the mortgage directly...a whole cottage industry has sprung up around 25 years of SASS and it may be time for a more commercial change...Yes I am part of that "cottage"...and I will tell you to your face that if you are going to do business with the guy on the other side of nowhere.. you are free to do that...but don't get your feelings hurt when you ask me for a 1000 dollars to help your club sponsor your state match and I laugh in your face....I think we all have acted like whores for too long and we had better start learning how to dance with the people that brought us to the dance...and that includes the "Wild Bunch"...It has to make money or they can't continue....that being said..I'll get off my rant and tell you the Delorean is dumb...some advertising guys bad idea to play on the time machine logo...but get used to the idea of the "sport"(sic) becoming more commercial...the economy is not good and we as an organization(like a herd of cats) are not good either at taking care of our own. We need to learn because we are not as big in the shooting world as we think...and we are dying off at an alarming rate...why?..cause most SASS shooters are old...I have seen non-regional Glock matches have 700 shooters...if a local SASS state match gets 200 that's great...But I understand your sentiment...lets keep the cowboy image...but somebody has got to pay if we want to play...it is a finacial fact of life.

I get one add at the top of the page. I find it easy to ignore.

They are not posts at all, they are paid advertising, but others have already said that.

While I kinda get it, I don't really get it....complaining or "soap boxing" about a COMPUTER FORUM????? You reckon computers in the Old West were wooden? Not trying to be ugly, just finding it kinda

.- ... .. -. .. -. .

I guess my BIGGEST complaint is the fact that these "PUBLIC SERVICE ADS by GOOGLE" are for all kinds of funds and charities for 3rd world countries that don't like us anyway. If we going to have "PUBLIC SERVICE ADS by GOOGLE", how about something for THIS COUNTRY... we've got folks out of work for a year or more, still looking for work....folks that can't afford medical and/or dental work..... folks that can't feed their kids a decent meal at night..I guess I'm old fashion and I believe that "charity starts at home"

With that said, I'll get down from my soapbox

Thanks and have a great day!

Frio

I could care less.

maybe you should spend more time reading the threads and less time looking at the ads? ;)

Advertising generates revenue and is the tradeoff we accept for things like surfing the internet, watching TV and listening to the radio for free. It costs money to provide this forum and I'd rather put up with ads than have my dues increase.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. If ads bother you here, just ignore them, sit back, relax and tip back a cold one.

Ah ....... There ain't no such thing as a "Free Lunch." If you really want to rant, first pony up the cost of a months service. Then you can rant.

Sit back and relax. Enjoy the view and ignore the stuff you don't like.

Coffinmaker

wow

step back and take a breath of clean morning air

I go into my shooters bubble when I am on the wire

just like shooting

call be to the shooting line (shooters bubble of concentration)

hit the SASS forum button (forum bubble of concentration)

"what ads"""""""""

geeeeeeeeeeeeese

I put in a quick tutorial for getting rid of ads in the "China Bride" thread. Note: I did have to add a correction, a little further down the thread.

If you are on IE8, just go up to the upper right where the dropdowns are at for Page, Safety, and Tools. Click on the Safety drop down menu. Click InPrivate Filtering. Then click the InPrivate Settings. Make sure the Automatically Block is checked, and that the Show Content from Providers is set to 3. IE8 will remember ads as you visit sites, and it will add them to the blocked content.

Voila, no more ads; no more Tums to control the acid indigestion. ;)

A keyboard shortcut is Control+Shift+F.

I look forward to the day when the ads will be firearms related. CASCity has pertinent ads from outfits like Midway, Brownells, LHSS etc with appealing graphics. The ads we are getting here are not a good match for the target audience.

I love ads because they are a necessary part of our capitalist system. Sometimes I scroll right by with only a perfunctory cursory glance and sometimes I fast forward thru them on the DVR, but as long as they are there I know I can rest easy in the greatest nation on God's green earth. And not in some drab totalitarian "utopia".

If you don't like ads on the SASSWire, buy out the WB and then you can run it like YOU want. Meantime, it's theirs and we "members" got no say. Thank goodness.

I hear you Kid...but I got to say to you and all of us...and myself...it's our own fault.....Gone are the days when outfits like this gun maker and that powder guy will give anybody thousands of dollars for this club and that event....Organizations are like churches.....God is not going to pay the mortgage directly...a whole cottage industry has sprung up around 25 years of SASS and it may be time for a more commercial change...Yes I am part of that "cottage"...and I will tell you to your face that if you are going to do business with the guy on the other side of nowhere.. you are free to do that...but don't get your feelings hurt when you ask me for a 1000 dollars to help your club sponsor your state match and I laugh in your face....I think we all have acted like whores for too long and we had better start learning how to dance with the people that brought us to the dance...and that includes the "Wild Bunch"...It has to make money or they can't continue....that being said..I'll get off my rant and tell you the Delorean is dumb...some advertising guys bad idea to play on the time machine logo...but get used to the idea of the "sport"(sic) becoming more commercial...the economy is not good and we as an organization(like a herd of cats) are not good either at taking care of our own. We need to learn because we are not as big in the shooting world as we think...and we are dying off at an alarming rate...why?..cause most SASS shooters are old...I have seen non-regional Glock matches have 700 shooters...if a local SASS state match gets 200 that's great...But I understand your sentiment...lets keep the cowboy image...but somebody has got to pay if we want to play...it is a finacial fact of life.

Good point. There was a time when folks didn't mind the local bizness making enough to keep the lights on. Now, they stop by for coffee and tell ya what a great deal they got on Gunbroker and wouldja mind doin' a transfer for less than minimum wage?

To be honest, the high-power and modern gun world have always paid better than the cowboy business. And that's where I'm doing most of my business these days.

Life is too short to let this bother me.

I actually LIKE the ad with the Delorean...

It will certainly get the point across to a wider (and younger) audience than just about anything else I can think of....

I used to run a blog. I can tell you that the money generated by the ads is really helpful when you are running a website. The alternative would be for SASS to raise our dues. Frankly, I would just as soon let some google advertizer pay for space than pay an increase in my dues. I will say this, google doesn't pay that well. There are other ways to sell advertizing that generate more cash.

Good point. There was a time when folks didn't mind the local bizness making enough to keep the lights on. Now, they stop by for coffee and tell ya what a great deal they got on Gunbroker and wouldja mind doin' a transfer for less than minimum wage?

To be honest, the high-power and modern gun world have always paid better than the cowboy business. And that's where I'm doing most of my business these days.

I've heard this alot on the wire....And every time I do,I like to respond........Trinidad local business will gouge you at any chance they get.......Rule of thumb here is "if it's 200.00 or more go to pueblo..Raton or the springs.......Huray for Gunbroker,Home depot ,and Walmart.........Ps.I pay 4k for feed from a dealer and he still wants to charge me 40.00 for a transfer........Also so his guns are 200.00 to 250.00 more.....Fuel here is 20cents more a gallon too......Tuco.

I've heard this alot on the wire....And every time I do,I like to respond........Trinidad local business will gouge you at any chance they get.......Rule of thumb here is "if it's 200.00 or more go to pueblo..Raton or the springs.......Huray for Gunbroker,Home depot ,and Walmart.........Ps.I pay 4k for feed from a dealer and he still wants to charge me 40.00 for a transfer........Also so his guns are 200.00 to 250.00 more.....Fuel here is 20cents more a gallon too......Tuco.

Yah. Hooray for Walmart. Next time yer in there, ask the clerk with the GED if he'll tune your 73 for ya.

I hear you, Kid. I recently started a thread myself over the Delorean, now that it has been moved to the bottom of the page I very rarely see it since I stop scrolling when I see the 'Fast Reply' header unless I'm responding to a thread.

I am so used to unconsciously 'tuning out' web advertising that I didn't realize the text ad banners were even there until someone in another thread pointed them out! :mellow:

Am I the only one that is fed up with the PS Ads coming up on the forum now ? When I go into the forum, half the page is taken up by headers and ads. I have heard the discussion of "just ignore them". If that is the case, why not just "ignore" things like off topic discussions, specific cartridge loads, etc. This is far from a public service forum. We as SASS members pay to support this forum. By the way, in case you have not take the time to read it, here is a quote from the forum laws:

And while I'm on a rant, I find that stupid DeLorean/time machine reference totally contradictory to the standards and values set up for SASS.

Thank you for listening ...

Kid AtHeart

Nope - I have no complaints. I use pop-up blockers, understand that this is a free service that even non-dues-paying folks can use (except for selling things),

enjoy the company of a lot of good CAS folks and get to join in lots of interesting and useful conversations.

It operates with the rules that are in place and are enforced by the folks who volunteer their time and effort, and is sponsored by the organization that

runs the SASS business. Given how much bovine fecal material is common on so many other web sites, and the general stupidity that runs rampant on so much

of the web, this is still a great place to go.

Life's too short to get upset over a web site - any web site.

Shadow Catcher

Archived