SASS Wire Forum

Spencer Carbine ? Changed my Mind!

Pards

This might not be the right area to ask this question, but I'm interested in a Spencer Carbine, not a new one, used is always good for me (44 Russian or 45 Schofield). What is the going price? If I can find one reasonably priced I have trade items...Just got an idea for something different????

Carbinecasey

On rare occasions, I've seen used as low as around $600 or even a bit less - I paid $700 in the fall of '09 for a LNIB 56-50 with a partially shot box of ammo - good used will typically run around $1100 to as much as $1500 or more for a new one.

I've owned two. Both purchased used for around $1K. The first was a 56-50 and shot well, but loosing brass is costly at a SASS match. Sold it and kept the other one in 44-40. But it started giving me fits with the loading tube catch and other assorted ailments. I eventually traded it away for an Iron Framed Henry. The Spencers are fun though, but not competitive, and at times, aggravating. LOL! YMMV

I bought a 56/50 the other day from Cimarron. I got their last 56/50 carbine but they have a few rifles left.

They had a few carbines in pistol caliber but I don't remember which ones. Loaded right the 56/50's work well but I've heard a bit of grumbling about the smaller calibers. I think the .44 Russian is supposed to work pretty good.

Tried to PM you this but says you are not getting messages, so here goes.

I have one in 45 schofield, I bought it from a pard said he shot it very little, looks new. I though since most of my guns are 45lc, I would shoot this fellow, but I never got around to getting sny 45 schofield, i got tow boxes of once fired shells thought I might load up a few but never got around to getting any dies, Ao if your interested make me an offe. Where are you as I have no interest in shipping to CAL. I had one deal there and it was a desaster. In fact I have not sold agun since and that was several years ago.

Archived