SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 94 with 44 specials?

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We've got 3 of them here.

Rifle #1 works well with factory-length .44 Specials (and sometimes .44 Mags, if you're tender with it).

Rifle #2 works reliably with factory-length .44 Mags only---but not .44 Specials.

Rifle #3 (wife's) works very well with both calibers very smoothly. But it has been to Long Hunter.

Each rifle has it's own personality.

Mustang Gregg

Bob,

If you reload your cartridges, you can experiment with over all length as you can easily crimp the bullets anywhere along the length of the bullet. I shoot 38's and set the bullet out past the crimp groove. My 38's are set at 1.5" If you have any questions, shoot me an e-mail.

Dee Mak Jack

My 94 handled 44 SPLs right out of the box and I've shot 1000s over the last 10 years or so.

But I've been told some won't but a good gunsmith can cure that problem. Oh, yes it will

handle 44 Mags also. Just my two cents though.

Cumberland Mtn John

My 94 handled 44 SPLs right out of the box and I've shot 1000s over the last 10 years or so.

But I've been told some won't but a good gunsmith can cure that problem. Oh, yes it will

handle 44 Mags also. Just my two cents though.

Cumberland Mtn John

Same here...Marlin CB LTD acquired in '97.

;)

My Marlin 94 CB has had 1000's of rounds thru it and never had a hiccup with either 44 sp or 44 mag. I normally shoot BP 44 mag but when I get low and only have 44 sp laying around, they go like greased lightning.

My wife started out with a '94S. Handles the specials okay, but has a slight hiccup just as they start going into the chamber. I resorted to using a LEE Factory crimp/sizing die on them to reduce the problem. loading the 200g pills.......Buck :blush:

I have learned something from responses to your question so I salute you !

My Marlin 94 is a pre-crossbolt carbine. Before the action job it fed specials pretty well with the best being the Mag-Tech 200 gr because they are the 1.5" OAL.

Had to have a carrier replaced and one from Brownells was installed and it never worked like the original. Then I sent the gun to Griner for an action job. Now at home it feeds loaded 44 spl shells well but during a shoot does not extract and has casing jambs fairly regularly.

I switched to mag brass and cured the problem after a conversation I had with Evil Roy. Both my spl and mag casings use 200 gr RNFP lead and 4.5 clays powder for now.

Archived