SASS Wire Forum

Help with a Stoeger

Captain Bill Burt

I recently purchased a Stoeger Supreme, used. Initially it worked fine, but at my last match one barrel failed to fire repeatedly. The ammo was Winchester featherlites, Joe West checked it out and advised that the problem was likely too light of a hammer spring. He offered to fix it at a very reasonable price, but as a new shooter, I'm tapped out for funds. After listening to him and a few others I think I can fix it myself if I can find something to shim the spring with, probably something in the neighborhood of 10/1000". Anyone know where I could get something like that?

Try some different shells. There were some AA's running around a while back that had some overseated primers, causing the problem you describe. Get a box of some other type or brand and see how many FTF you have.

Another possibilty is the gun is opening slightly after the first shot. Check for no FP marks on the primer of the barrel that fails to fire. If there is a mark be sure it is in the center of the primer, not off to one side. And lastly, try moving the barrel selector to fire the 'bad' barrel first, see if the problem moves to the other side. If the gun is opening after firing you need to increase the spring tension on the opening lever.

Try inserting a pirce of leather into the spring channel, formed to fit and of the thickness desired. Make sure the spring channel has no chatter marks on the walls of the channel, which could be the real problem.

Howdy Capt. Bill, here's a link to a recent thread on the topic of Stoeger failure to fire issues. Lots of replies with merit as there are multiple causes for this problem. Your problem sounds similar to mine and you'll find what worked for me in post #13. That doesn't mean it'll work for you and you may find one of the other solutions does. Here's the link:

Stoeger FTF

And if you haven't done so already, go to Marauder's site where there's lots of good info.

Marauder's site

Good luck

Archived