SASS Wire Forum

Teacher rattles table

Guest Rio Grande Slim

You guys had it lucky with mean teachers. Let me relate a little story about my 7th grade english teacher

Mrs. Wearnikey had been teaching so long that she taught my Father, my Aunt, then Me and my younger brother.

The first day we were in class she calls roll and shen she gets to me she said, "young man your name is fimilar, is yoru father's first name Wayne?" she then proceeds to tell the following story. When my dad was in school they went to the gym for an assembly. he stands up and yells loud enough for everyone to here, "Where's old lady Warnikey" She said I leand down from behind him, tapped him on the sholder and said, "Here I am". Talk about embaressing.

She was very strict,but I love that lady. She was a wonderful teacher and turned out to be a great mentor and friend as well. When I went to my 10 year reunion, she was there. We chatted for afew minutes and then she said, I have something for you. I asked her what (up to this point i had not told her I was teaching)and she handed me a seald envelope that looked yellow with age. She told me to open it as it was her prediction of what I was going to do all those years ago. In the envelope was a letter that I still have to this day. She told me, Mitchell, you are a wonder full creative person. I know I embaressed you a little that first day of class however you took it in stride. you will make a great TEACHER some day. With much love Erin Wearnikey.

I wish that all the teachers I had were as grand a lady and as good a teacher as she was.

My Grandmere taught me French and History. FYI I went to state in both... Shoot, nobody was a harder instructor!!!

My 8th grade teacher we had a song for her... Peterson Peterson riding thru the glen.. Peterson Perterson with her Daily men.. aged by the years. loved bye the Gu**rs.. Peterson Peterson.. lol... But the truth is she was tough and she made me learn. Before that I was smart enough to skim by and she knew that.. lol.. So, today I thank her for her lessons.. but not for the hours she made me stand at the chalk board .. lol.. She use to call on me and say okay.. go up to the chalk board and write the answer.. lol.. She knew I missed the darn questions cuz I was so silly.. lol.. But she also knew I had a brain.. lol.. Not sure what kinda brain though.. lol

You guys had it lucky with mean teachers. Let me relate a little story about my 7th grade english teacher

Mrs. Wearnikey had been teaching so long that she taught my Father, my Aunt, then Me and my younger brother.

The first day we were in class she calls roll and shen she gets to me she said, "young man your name is fimilar, is yoru father's first name Wayne?" she then proceeds to tell the following story. When my dad was in school they went to the gym for an assembly. he stands up and yells loud enough for everyone to here, "Where's old lady Warnikey" She said I leand down from behind him, tapped him on the sholder and said, "Here I am". Talk about embaressing.

She was very strict,but I love that lady. She was a wonderful teacher and turned out to be a great mentor and friend as well. When I went to my 10 year reunion, she was there. We chatted for afew minutes and then she said, I have something for you. I asked her what (up to this point i had not told her I was teaching)and she handed me a seald envelope that looked yellow with age. She told me to open it as it was her prediction of what I was going to do all those years ago. In the envelope was a letter that I still have to this day. She told me, Mitchell, you are a wonder full creative person. I know I embaressed you a little that first day of class however you took it in stride. you will make a great TEACHER some day. With much love Erin Wearnikey.

I wish that all the teachers I had were as grand a lady and as good a teacher as she was.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Some people are meant to teach and some are not.

Children know the difference.

Deja, you sound like you are ADHD, as am I. if our parents and teachers understand our situation, we excel, if not we are bored and tend to "act out" as they call it! Mom and I worked out a system since our local library was directly across the street from my elementary school. The librarian didn't believe I was reading all the books I was taking home (Mom only allowed the news on TV), and my Teacher didn't believe that I had read the entire text book only a few weeks into class. Luckily Mama took them both to task and I read "Gone With the Wind" (all 1000+ pages) for the first time in 6th grade. That kept me out of trouble and I still made 100's in science and reading...

Yeah, don't mess with the wacky ADHD kids... or their Mama's who were ADHD long before there was such a thing, we don't need drugs, we need challenges, and we need diet regulation, NOT drugs!

Velvet

Deja, you sound like you are ADHD, as am I. if our parents and teachers understand our situation, we excel, if not we are bored and tend to "act out" as they call it! Mom and I worked out a system since our local library was directly across the street from my elementary school. The librarian didn't believe I was reading all the books I was taking home (Mom only allowed the news on TV), and my Teacher didn't believe that I had read the entire text book only a few weeks into class. Luckily Mama took them both to task and I read "Gone With the Wind" (all 1000+ pages) for the first time in 6th grade. That kept me out of trouble and I still made 100's in science and reading...

Yeah, don't mess with the wacky ADHD kids... or their Mama's who were ADHD long before there was such a thing, we don't need drugs, we need challenges, and we need diet regulation, NOT drugs!

Velvet

Hey Velvet! How're the babies?

Schoolmarm,(is what else?)agrees with you as do I. They give these kids a name for a learning anomoly so they can drug them up and not have to deal with alternate ways of teaching. A combination of good teaching techniques and proper discipline will promote a better student and a brighter future for that student. Boredom is evidence of a lack of stimulation and in a learning environment that is the worst possible outcome.

I went through school with Cs and Ds while scoring in the top 1% on ALL learning and standardised tests including SAT, ACT, and NEDT. I could read on a graduate level in the fifth and sixth grades, and was able to weld and do mechanic work by age twelve. No one new I was dyslexic until Schoolmarm tested me after we were married. I was twenty-three.

Well, knowing you Rye......You probably deserved it!!!

Bob, I know exactly what yer talking about. I teach in a ring suburb high school.

We have so many kids with Parole officers, we have a Parole Officer liaison on staff in the school.

So different from when I started 30 years ago.

Back then this public school was more like a private school in terms of kids & atmosphere.

In less than 55 days, I retire!!!!!

Can't wait.

--Dawg

Hattie Morrell was my teacher of note. A tough old spinster with her hair in a bun, high lace collars, dark dresses, and comfortable shoes. Most of the kids hated her. She scared the hell out of them, but if it weren't for her I'd have never become a writer. She pushed me past my "barriers (So Did Heber Whiting in Chemistry) and simply browbeat into learning and excelling.

I wish I could tell her, but she passed on almost 35years ago.

I am a field service technician, and have as customers some "continuing education" schools, for students who don't fit in regular high schools. Usually two storefront suites, maybe 40 students, two teachers. My hat is off to those teachers !!! Orderly classrooms, polite behaviour. At one school, when breaktime occurred, everybody broke out chessboards and had at it!!! I was astonished!! I'm sure those teachers have some stories to tell, but they've also got SKILLS!!

The student should be disciplined !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll stick to teaching Police cadets, I can yell, scream, make them do push-ups, write memo's, stand in the back of the room when their eye lids get heavy and when I enter the room they snap to attention, say good morning/afternoon sir and remain standing until they are told "as you were". You could not pay me enough to teach middle school or high school!!!!

Archived