SASS Wire Forum

Beretta 1873 Renagrade ?

WOODFOX , sass#34179

I'll add my .02. I picked up a 357 when they dropped to 800, then the next week they were less, oh well.

At any rate, took it out and shot it in a competition today, then did some work on it and made the following observations:

It's slick out of the box, more-so than a '92, but I don't have another '73 to compare against. The short stroke is nice, the action is smooth.

Needs a longer cartridge OAL to function properly. When I first took it to the range I loaded 10 .38's that had a short OAL and they promptly jammed which accelerated me digging into the guts. Factory 357's fed fine. I did some research and am told 1.45 and longer is fine, I loaded to 1.6 and they feed about perfect.

For some reason I needed to adjust the front sight excessively to the right. Luckily the set screw is on the left hand side.

Using the links previously mentioned, I backed out the screws for the lever and carrier tensions, but it was a minimal improvement. After shooting it in competition I came to the conclusion that a) loading gate is too stiff, b)lever safety is too strong c)hammer tension is too high.

I ended up thinning the loading gate spring a bit. Upon investigation, it looks as though it may be thinned from the factory, so I didn't take too much off.

It turned out that my hammer spring was contacting the lever safety which was making it very stiff. I took off some material from the top which gave enough clearance for it to function properly.

Probably the biggest improvement for me came from loosening the Hammer tension. I backed the screw out and put some medium Loctite on it so I could adjust if needed(many suggest putting a washer between the screw and the spring). It's 10x easier to operate now, I still need to make a trip back to the range to verify it will set off primers.

A couple things I noticed when I had it apart: Yes, alot of the internal parts looked rough, but the parts that mated up or had any friction were very smooth. I usually get out the 500 grit and some Flitz to polish up mating surfaces, but I really saw no need. As previously mentioned in this thread, aluminum carrier, bonus! The carrier looks rough, but running a finger across it I can't detect anything that would require work. I only buggered up one screw(actually broke the screwdriver it was on so tight), but came very close on a couple others. It can't be said enough: use a properly sized screwdriver taking it apart the first time.

I was pretty happy with it when I first picked it up, but now I think it's a phenomenal value if you can find them.

:FlagAm: I put a set of Slixprings in mine yesterday also noticed it may have a timing issue . It looks like the carrier is starting to rise before the bolt is fully retracted the empties hang up once in a while . need to do some more work on that issue .

Woodfox

I got one-delivered on Friday-first impressions-heavy-excellent quality- I shot my first match with it Saturday-great gun feeds 357 faster than i can shoot it. I compared short stroke with another shooter that had a tuned 73 -he told me he wants one for the price 700.00-we saw little difference between the 2 guns and his misfired several times at the match-mine ran perfectly.I dont think 38s work well in it-but 357s are great. I might change out some screws and carrier springs but think its 100 times better than the Rossi 92 i have.

I just picked up one from Surly Dave this afternoon. The price was right including the state's six percent sales tax, $ 900.00. The exterior appearance is excellent, good metal finish, nice dark stained walnut stocks, checkered, probably by machine, but nicely done. I have to agree with Gold Canyon Kid; it takes ten men and a big boy to work the lever.

I will have to get something done about that, after I shoot the rifle a bit. I like the rubber butt plate which is about 3/8's inch thick with a black plastic spacer between the rubber and the stock. I do not intend to do much of anything else in the way of tuning, as it were, beyond seeing what can be done about the lever. I have two Marlins which have served me well over the years, so I doubt the Renegade will replace either one of them. The Renegade is chambered in .45 Colt as are all of my other match guns. Oh, one other thing, the front sight has a very tiny gold bead, which my almost 80 year old eyes really can hardly see. I will have to do something about that......soon. Suggestions about the sight will be cheerfully accepted. I know next to nothing about the 1873, never owned one, nor fired one. For instance I did not know it had a dust cover. Did the original ones

have this device? I kind of like it.

I just picked up one from Surly Dave this afternoon. The price was right including the state's six percent sales tax, $ 900.00. The exterior appearance is excellent, good metal finish, nice dark stained walnut stocks, checkered, probably by machine, but nicely done. I have to agree with Gold Canyon Kid; it takes ten men and a big boy to work the lever.

I will have to get something done about that, after I shoot the rifle a bit. I like the rubber butt plate which is about 3/8's inch thick with a black plastic spacer between the rubber and the stock. I do not intend to do much of anything else in the way of tuning, as it were, beyond seeing what can be done about the lever. I have two Marlins which have served me well over the years, so I doubt the Renegade will replace either one of them. The Renegade is chambered in .45 Colt as are all of my other match guns. Oh, one other thing, the front sight has a very tiny gold bead, which my almost 80 year old eyes really can hardly see. I will have to do something about that......soon. Suggestions about the sight will be cheerfully accepted. I know next to nothing about the 1873, never owned one, nor fired one. For instance I did not know it had a dust cover. Did the original ones

have this device? I kind of like it.

Pioneer Gun Works has the front sight you might want and yes the origional had a dust cover . Woodfox

Howdy

As a matter of fact, there were three different styles of dust covers on the Winchester Model 1873. The type of dust cover defines whether the gun was a 1st model, 2nd model, or 3rd model.

Here is a page from The Winchester 1873 Handbook by George W. Stone, illustrating the three styles.

On the first model, the dust cover rode between two raised rails that were integral with the frame.

The second model had a central guide rail screwed to the top of the frame.

The third model had a raised central guide rail that was integral to the frame.

All Uberti manufactured replicas of the 1873 are of the third style.

Dust Covers

I do not intend to do much of anything else in the way of tuning, as it were, beyond seeing what can be done about the lever.

Since it already has a short stroke and therefore doesn't need the expensive links, a full action job should not be very expensive and would probably put a smile on your face that a grinder couldn't get off. :) I'm bettin' there's a gunsmith somewhere in South Caroliney that could save you paying any shipping.

Check out Manatee's Grabber Sights by clicking here. I use the .175 and love it.

Woodfox, Driftwood and Buck: Thanks guys for the quick responses. Driftwood, your knowledge and quick responses constantly amaze me. Buck, from looking at the examples of the Grabber sight in Manatee's website it looks like the .130" or the .175" bead would suit me. I don't know about the height .31" to 50" ?? What would you recommend? I am not a neophyte in this game. I got into the Cowboy game in 1995, and I have been to more than a few shoots, including EOT at the ranch. I was the match director of our club here in Columbia for about eight years. I am an old, tired and retired Marine, and I have been a participant in more shooting sports than I like to remember.

But, I have never met more interesting, courteous, helpful people than those who are CAS shooters. Thanks again...to all of you.

Buck, from looking at the examples of the Grabber sight in Manatee's website it looks like the .130" or the .175" bead would suit me. I don't know about the height .31" to 50" ?? What would you recommend?

I'd recommend contacting the man who designed them and ask him. Here's Manatee's personal page. From there you can send him a PM. I'm thinking it is the shorter sight because I have the taller one and had to move my rear sight up to the maximum height. I wish I had taken my own advice and called him before I got mine....but it works!

Thanks again Buck. I'll contact Manatee, the short mount makes sense to me. Hope to get down your way this year. I've shot at all of the Georgia clubs except River Bend, a couple in Florida, all but one in South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia a couple of times, Tennessee at three I think , EOT at the ranch and Guns of August in Ohio. Never found one that I didn't like. My wife of 58 years died from ALS last August. I haven't been worth much to anyone without her. In January when two of my daughters were helping me clean out her personal things I found a note she had left for me. Although barely legible. She had lost most of her neuron motor capability. The note said, "Baby. Do not become a hermit. You have to socialize. Start shooting again." It still chokes me up, but she knew me better than I know myself. She knew that my closest friends are cowboy shooters and retired Marines. So I am headed to Branson, Missouri for a military reunion, April 8th through the 14th, and if I can find a shoot with a club fairly close to Branson

I'll stick around for the weekend, April 16 and 17. I suspect you are going to the Georgia Championship in May so I may meet you there. Thanks again for the sight information.

Thanks again Buck. I'll contact Manatee, the short mount makes sense to me. Hope to get down your way this year. I've shot at all of the Georgia clubs except River Bend, a couple in Florida, all but one in South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia a couple of times, Tennessee at three I think , EOT at the ranch and Guns of August in Ohio. Never found one that I didn't like. My wife of 58 years died from ALS last August. I haven't been worth much to anyone without her. In January when two of my daughters were helping me clean out her personal things I found a note she had left for me. Although barely legible. She had lost most of her neuron motor capability. The note said, "Baby. Do not become a hermit. You have to socialize. Start shooting again." It still chokes me up, but she knew me better than I know myself. She knew that my closest friends are cowboy shooters and retired Marines. So I am headed to Branson, Missouri for a military reunion, April 8th through the 14th, and if I can find a shoot with a club fairly close to Branson

I'll stick around for the weekend, April 16 and 17. I suspect you are going to the Georgia Championship in May so I may meet you there. Thanks again for the sight information.

Does anyone else's computer screen get blurry when they read this? Not sure what the problem is with mine....

Does anyone else's computer screen get blurry when they read this? Not sure what the problem is with mine....

:unsure: Doc ; Mine looks ok . Woodfox

:unsure: Doc ; Mine looks ok . Woodfox

It was as I was reading this part that things started looking a little blurry:

My wife of 58 years died from ALS last August. I haven't been worth much to anyone without her. In January when two of my daughters were helping me clean out her personal things I found a note she had left for me. Although barely legible. She had lost most of her neuron motor capability. The note said, "Baby. Do not become a hermit. You have to socialize. Start shooting again." It still chokes me up, but she knew me better than I know myself.

I've been married 20 years and can't imagine what life would've been like without Mrs. Doc with me. The thought of 58 years and the slow process of ALS pulls at my heart strings. Reading what she wrote makes clear why Ghost Dancer and his wife lasted so long.

Oh, and back on topic, Seems I had a Beretta Renegade in .357 follow me home yesterday. She looked so lonely that I couldn't help but bring her in. She seems right at home with the other lever actions, and doesn't seem to mind the shotguns and semi-autos too much, so I might just have to keep her. I've got plenty to feed her, and what she does eat is a lot cheaper than my 1892, so shouldn't be a problem there. Action does seem stiff compared to my others but I'll be able to tell more after going out for a workout! Not sure the 1892 and a well used (not abused) Win. 9422M are good comparisons.

For those of you who already have a Renegade, move on, nothing to see here. You got an awesome deal and should be happy.

For those of you who haven't but are interested, Buds has them for $664 cash/shipped. 45C Here and 357 Here. The links are pretty much hidden unless you search, and if you do be careful not to click on their 'normal' priced ones at $1072.

That's a darn good deal for a Uberti 1873, let alone one that's already got a short stroke and aluminum carrier.

I just ordered three of the .357 Renegades. I'll be doing a full rundown of them when I get them. probably do a video review. given that I have extensive experience with Uberti 73' I should be able to do a pretty good comparison.

Archived