SASS Wire Forum

Possibly the Best Socks on the Planet

Manatee

Clyde bought me 3 pair of these trekking socks for Christmas. In the couple of months that I've had them, circulation problems seem to have disappeared. Even though they are wool (Merino), they don't itch. They keep my feet sweat free.

I don't have diabetes, but I know that you fellas that do have circulatory issues. If you haven't tried them, you might take a look at them next time you're in REI or other fine sporting goods establishments.

http://www.rei.com/product/604590

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Got several SmartWool pair, myself... I like 'em.

I hunt in some really cold weather... regular wool itches my feet... and "blended" material causes the "sweats". When ya feet sweat in real cold weather... they commence to gettin' cold real easy. Cold feet are almost as bad as some leaky waders and gettin' the damp-a$$ in a duck blind. When ya feet gets cold... best take the trouble to stop and build a dang fire to warm 'em. (If not... you might pull a boot to find some black toes.)

One other thing... those socks don't wear out too quick, neither.

ts

Is that really $20 for one pair of socks?

Last hunt I was on... that's exactly what a huntin' pard asked. For that price to get "warmth"... he expected them socks to have a great big-round gal to be stuffed down in 'em.

ts

....$20 and worth every penny of it, too. You can also check out WOOLPOWER and FOX RIVER for good merino wool. Now that the word is finally out that merino works better than polyester, last longer than poly, is more comfortable than poly, won't melt to your skin and muscle in a fire like poly, and keeps your circulation running WAY better than cotton; the industry is starting to come out with some decent choices.

Still tough to beat the leader, though- Smartwool was the first to really make a performance sock. Most companies didn't think people would pay up for quality so they kept getting cheaper and cheaper wool to make price points against the synthetic makers.

If you're not wearing wool socks then you'll always have cold feet, poor circulation and fungus problems, too. :o

Do they stay up on yore legs?

I have big calves from riding bike but small ankles. Socks usually end up around my ankles when I'm wearing boots.

Chili Pepper Kid

Do they stay up on yore legs?

I have big calves from riding bike but small ankles. Socks usually end up around my ankles when I'm wearing boots.

Chili Pepper Kid

Ya talkin' like yore legs as bad as some up-side-down bowlin' pins?

ts

Dick's has similar merino wool socks too. By far the most comfortable socks anywhere, and they wear like a hog's nose too. The oldest pair I have is about 4 years old, and one of them finally got a hole in it. The cheapo cotton sox in a bag usually last about 2 months before a blowout.

$20 is a bargain.

Quality doesn't cost, it pays.

Ya talkin' like yore legs as bad as some up-side-down bowlin' pins?

ts

Yup that sums it up just right!

CPK

Yup that sums it up just right!

CPK

I know it sounds silly... but the ol' men folks round here still wear sock-garters. They fit just below the knee. Dang if would let my socks get all wadded-up down in my boots... be worse than a wedgie.

ts

I always wear quality Merino wool socks in cold weather. I got my feet frostbit as a young dude and they get cold real easy. A Merino/Nylon blend of about 80:20 is just the ticket. It does not itch (unlike the old Army od socks and pants). :angry:

The best thing about wool is that is does not lose its insulation properties when damp, so even if your feet sweat a bit they will retain warmth. My dogs are worth every penny. I protect them so that I can run like the wind at matches. :lol: :lol:

I know it sounds silly... but the ol' men folks round here still wear sock-garters. They fit just below the knee. Dang if would let my socks get all wadded-up down in my boots... be worse than a wedgie.

ts

I wrap duck tape around the top of the socks and it helps but it's hard on the socks to get it off.

CPK

So how about it do these smartwool socks stay up?

If your socks slip down a lot, try putting a moisturizing lotion on your lower legs. My socks would bunch up at my toes by the end of a shoot but have found that they hardly move if I use a little lotion. I haven't tried this on hairy legs (my hubby wouldn't like THAT :lol: ) so YMMV.

If your socks slip down a lot, try putting a moisturizing lotion on your lower legs. My socks would bunch up at my toes by the end of a shoot but have found that they hardly move if I use a little lotion. I haven't tried this on hairy legs (my hubby wouldn't like THAT :lol: ) so YMMV.

CPK shaving his legs? Now that is a vision I can do without. Now I'm going to have to take a fork to my mind's eye. :lol::P

OS: He gave me a pair of those as well. Good as the others they be.

[/quote\\

Greg....found these http://www.sierratra...door-Socks.html Just ordered 4 pair. Thanks....KK

I agree Manatee, merino wool blend in socks is warm and comfortable. I too can easily get an itch with most wools but merino seems to not cause this discomfort. I had a Cabela's gift card from Christmas and headed out to the Phoenix store while in town for WR just to purchase socks such as you mentioned. In moderately cold temperatures I like the merino blend of around 40%. This is a good blend for CAS in the chilly mornings and they wick so good that they are still comfortable if temperatures rise as they do at Winter Range. And, as BK and TS mentioned the socks are fantastic for hunting with a blend to match the temperatures of your favorite hunting area.

Archived