SASS Wire Forum

Are 62 Police conversions possible from .36 to .32?

Marshal Max Henry

I know they are 5 shot .36 but can you get a conversion for 6 shot .32

Sure ya can!!

You can get bout anything ya want if ya got enough dollars!!

A custom made conversion cylinder and the barrel lined to 32...your good to go.

About $500 or more ada do it.

But ya would have one nice little pistola!!! :wub:

BH

If I recall correctly, the '62 Police and the '49 Pocket are built on the same size frame, the only difference being the caliber. Kirst makes a .32 cylinder for the '49, and I believe a '49 barrel will also fit on the '62 frame. That would save having to sleeve the barrel to get from .36 to .32.

Here's their website => http://www.kirstkonverter.com/coltpocket.html

I'd give them a call and talk with one of their gunsmiths to get the final word.

You say conversion, are we talking cartridge conversion or converting a five shot cap and ball to a six shot cap & ball? At any rate I think we are talking about something that would be really impractical, even if possible?? When Colt took that small frame and increased it from .32 to .36 he had to rebate the frame for a beefed up cylinder (similar to the way he designed his '60 model on a '51 frame, and since this only applied to enlarging the front half of the cylinder, there is no extra room at the back for boring through for six cartridges. Could the '62s slightly enlarged cylinder front handle boring for six .32 cal balls, I do not know but imagine that building a cap and ball cylinder from scratch would be extremely expensive, even if possible. Another thought, is there even room for fitting an extra nipple space in the very small rear end of the cylinder? I do think the barls just might swap between the Uberti '49 and '62 models but little help for an otherwise impossible job??? If we were talking about converting a Pietta '62, that would be a totally different animal with the bigger '51 frame size.

Archived