SASS Wire Forum

Best Match in YOUR State?

What is the best match in YOUR state? It might be due to the props, target size, number of participants, or any other number of reasons. That is not to say there aren't other good matches in YOUR state, but what is the single best match. In other words, if you had an out-of-state visitor coming and you could only take them to one match in YOUR state which would it be?

In my state for me it's the St. Jude Charity match. This match has an entry fee of only $20 and you get to shoot 6 stages at two different clubs. The stages are well thought out and the targets are relatively big and close. But, the very best part of this match is all of the proceeds go to the children.

Wow that is a tough question. Here in Az where we winter over, we have both the best state championship match anywhere, Bordertown, and the best match in the world Winter Range. Bordertown has the biggest closest targets and fills up in just a couple of days when the applications are released each year, now held in world famous Tombstone. Winter Range is well Winter Range and you can see by the many comments how folks feel about it. How do you top over 800 total shooters with 755 main match shooters, 44 states, many many countries represented, 92 vendors, a match that runs like clockwork, etc. Both of these have been SASS match of the year, at least once or twice. That is not to say there are not other good matches here in Az, and there clearly are many great club yearly matches, but those two stand out head and shoulders above the rest IMHO.

What is the best match in YOUR state? It might be due to the props, target size, number of participants, or any other number of reasons. That is not to say there aren't other good matches in YOUR state, but what is the single best match. In other words, if you had an out-of-state visitor coming and you could only take them to one match in YOUR state which would it be?

In my state for me it's the St. Jude Charity match. This match has an entry fee of only $20 and you get to shoot 6 stages at two different clubs. The stages are well thought out and the targets are relatively big and close. But, the very best part of this match is all of the proceeds go to the children.

I have the most fun at the Indiana Black Powder Guild champeenship. It is a two day shoot so there's camping, the food is great, there's night shooting, and a over the campfire breakfast cookoff.

Spittoon

I know that the absolutely the best shoot anywhere is the shoot where Ms. Mary Matilda and I happen to be at the time. They have to be the best or we wouldn't go..... <_<

That's an easy one for me.

Comin At'Cha at the Badlands Bar 3.

To me is hands down the best around.

There are some other really good matches here also.

But Comin At'Cha???? Just hard to beat it.

Thanks for the replies so far. My mistake, I should have made myself more clear. I'm talking about matches you might take an out of state visitor to who is not necessarily a regular cowboy shooter but is thinking of becoming one. I should have asked folks to exclude Regional matches and above. Those are all excellent matches but certainly you wouldn't take a guest to a Regional, National Championship or World Championship. And by take a guest, I mean you are paying their entry fees. :wub:

OK, guess I'll chime in with the following disclaimer...

I've only attended matches in Colorado at three ranges, two SASS affiliated, one not.

I would not have a problem taking an out of state visitor to any of them, but all things being equal, I would take them to a match at Pawnee Station. Cowboy only range, permanent props, wide safe berms with side berms between each bay allowing down range movement, fun stages, and of course a great bunch of people.

Grizz

Thanks for the replies so far. My mistake, I should have made myself more clear. I'm talking about matches you might take an out of state visitor to who is not necessarily a regular cowboy shooter but is thinking of becoming one. I should have asked folks to exclude Regional matches and above. Those are all excellent matches but certainly you wouldn't take a guest to a Regional, National Championship or World Championship. And by take a guest, I mean you are paying their entry fees. :wub:

OH. That changes things a bit for me then.

Have not been to all of them.

I really enjoy Christmas In July at the Butterfield Trail Regulators in Abilene.

It is always pretty fun.

Jailbreak at Oakwood Outlaws has been a really good one.

Was really good when it was a State Match. But still good even though not the State Match anymore.

One of those two I guess would be it.

But really hard to say. As there are SO many I have not been to yet in Texas.

Like Defend Old Fort Parker. Everyone says good things about this one. But I have not been able to

make it yet.

And Comancheria Days (now the State match) going to it this year.

So after I hit those. My mind might change a bit.

Just TO many good matches around. :huh:

Really hard to pick.

The best annual match in Nevada?

That's an easy one - Our state championship - Eldorado. www.eldoradocowboys.com

12 well written stages, No "P" traps, generous targets, placed well.

A REAL Saturday night banquet and awards ceremony at the local country club - where the ladies (and men) can wear their finery without fear of dragging it thru the range dirt.

The best monthlies in Nevada?

Well, I am biased (afterall I am the match director) but I have to go with Desert Desperados. www.desertdesperados.com

Big, Close and Fast. A fair amount of movement and variety in the matches, while always remembering it is supposed to be fun for everyone.

I should have asked folks to exclude Regional matches and above

That makes it much easier since Bordertown is excluded. Los Vaqueros at the Tombstone Livery.

Safe trails,

CKid

Since we're not talking about big matches, rather annuals and monthly, in which I would take a new shooter, to feel completely comfortable, and also feel welcome. I'm being a little bias, being Territorial Governor of Valdosta Vigilance Com. in Valdosta, Ga. I would say this club has it, real comrade, with no clicks, each person is and feels the warmth, be it a monthly, or upcoming Annual in April. After the match, we always feast and tell tall tales about our accomplishments. Everyone always pitches in on posse duties, and helps clean range afterwards.

Its also a club many have not discovered yet, and are missing a big show. MT

I will admit to not shooting very many different big matches, however the horse ridge pistoleros put on a match using old stages from the early days in the begining of the sass days. Texas Jack Morales spent a lot of time telling us stories about the old days and how crazy some of the stages got. Than all of the stages where from the early days of the club. It really makes you realize how far this sport has come Being sorta new to this sport I found it really cool to learn about the history and evolution of this sport.

A small match, not a big annual,or championship match, but one I will try to get back to every year. And Texas jack was one hell of a nice guy

Possum Trot's Annual Smokeout in the Hills is absolutely the best match I've ever attended!

Iron Maiden, Whiskey Creek Johnson, Shaddai Vaquero and the Possum Trot crew put on an awesome event. I don't remember ever seeing so many smiling faces. Can't hardly wait until this October for the next one!

Jackalope

Jedi Gunfighter Lucky #7

Champeen of the Hillbilly Nation 2010

Pawnee Station is Great but I think our Match The colorado Cowboys at Lake George is great too. :) I would love to see you Saturday at the Cowboys Grizz!!!!! :)

Painted Filly

That's an easy one for me.

Comin At'Cha at the Badlands Bar 3.

To me is hands down the best around.

There are some other really good matches here also.

But Comin At'Cha???? Just hard to beat it.

Definitely!!!!!

:FlagAm:

EDIT: Sorry...didn't see the disclaimer. Too many good ones...yep...Christmas in July...Commancheria Days...probably misspelled that one...and in California, it's hands down The Gunfight Behind the Jersey Lilly!

Cheers!

I think Firelands is the best with OVV a very close second, but I'm predjudiced cause Firelands is my home club and my cousins run OVV!B)

GOA is really great and the State shoot in Piqua also.

In NY, there is Heluva Rukus, and there is everything else. Since my home club hosts HR, I am biased, but hey, it is a great match that sells out in a week or so every year.

Now the most FUN match I attend is Green Mountain Mayhem put on up in the northeast kingdom of VT. "Never has so much been done by so few, with so little" comes to mind.

in ohio , Guns of August, then Shoot out at hard times, then tied, Tusco, OVV and Sandusky,

What can I say, I'm easy :lol:

Cheyenne

OH. That changes things a bit for me then.

Have not been to all of them.

I really enjoy Christmas In July at the Butterfield Trail Regulators in Abilene.

It is always pretty fun.

Jailbreak at Oakwood Outlaws has been a really good one.

Was really good when it was a State Match. But still good even though not the State Match anymore.

One of those two I guess would be it.

But really hard to say. As there are SO many I have not been to yet in Texas.

Like Defend Old Fort Parker. Everyone says good things about this one. But I have not been able to

make it yet.

And Comancheria Days (now the State match) going to it this year.

So after I hit those. My mind might change a bit.

Just TO many good matches around. :huh:

Really hard to pick.

Defend Old Fort Parker is a great one.

INDIANA: The state shoot rotates between Cutter's and Deercreek....both run by good people and fun to shoot.

I'm partial to the INDIANA BLACK POWDER GUILD.......Started by Manatee and recently turned over to a group of dedicated pards....COWBOY RICK, PRAIRIE DAWG, TRAVELIN KID AND YOURS TRULY.....along with a lot of loyal participants.

I haven't been to every annual in Colorado, but, with that caveat, I would suggest that the Rocky Mountain Regional Raid is tops. Great job, Sand Creek Raiders!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Colorado Cowboys

I have to admit I'm a bit bias on this one :blush: Windy Gap Regulator's Revenge of Montezuma in Cortez, Colorado.....hands down :excl: Our shoot (in June) has sign ups from Australia (15) and Netherlands(2) already. Also shooters from Az, Utah,N.M and Calif signed up. A great annual shoot, we must be doing something right :wub:

Archived