SASS Wire Forum

1892 problems

Pards,

I've had a Browning 1892 in 357 for a while and am thinking of using it for SASS. The problem I have been running into is case length...the rifle absolutely does not like to feed 38 Specials.

I have heard that this is a recurring problem for 1892's in 357. I have also been told that the solution is to load 38's "long".

Anyone have any data on what "long" is?

Thanks!

I've used a '92, in 357, for the past couple of years and not had any issues, ( KNOCK ON WOOD )using 357 brass and a 125gr RNFP bullet.

I have used a "long 38", basically a 38spec brass, topped with a 147gr FP or 158gr RNFP crimped the the length of a 357.

Good Luck

Frio

We've kicked this around numerous times. Do some hunting on this board and you'll find tons of stuff written on the subject.

The Reader's Digest version is if you load .38 specials to 1.50" OAL, they'll feed most times in your '92. I have one and it works.

Most .38's are expected to be 1.44 or so. Further, you'll not be crimping in the crimp groove of the round. As long as it's lead, the crimp die will get it to crimp just fine, so don't worry. You do want to crimp so that the round is not "shoved" back into the cartridge while sitting in the feed tube under the pressure of the spring and other rounds. So, don't skip the crimp.

Do some research on this board and you can find a lot more information.

Good Luck!

Chick

I have read repeatedly that 1.5 is the optimal lenght for a 38 special in the 92. Some say you can get by with bullets that are a little shorter.

This is real simple. You make up some dummy rounds with an OAL of 1.4 to 1.5 and see if they work. I bet somewhere around 1.44 to 1.5 you will stop having problems. I made the mistake of buying rnfp bullets and have to crimp them below the crimp grove. They are funny looking but work ok if you use a Lee Factory crimp die with a firm crimp. The alternative is to buy some longer bullets. You might try some trucated nosed flat point bullets to achieve the right OAL.

By the way OAL is important in the 73/66 as well. Same rules apply. There is nothing magical about the problem. It is pretty straight forward.

Moulton Lead makes long 147 gr TC bullets specifically to solve this problem. They supposedly end up being the same OAL as a.357 when loaded in .38 cases. My '73 will feed rounds with an OAL down to about 1.44, but they don't feed as smoothly as longer rounds. I just bought 3,000 of the 147's to try.

If yer reloadin' anyway, I'd suggest loadin' on .357 brass to .38 Sp levels. Sounds like an application for Trail Boss; fill that case better for more consistent igniton and velocities. Or BP, if yer goin' that way.

Do you reload. I shoot 92s only.My first 92 was slicked by Nate and I shot ammo from ammo direct,Their 125 gr. coyboy loads were 1.523 and they ran fine never had a hic up. I have 2 more 92 now and I started loading my own and I shot some that a friend loaded at 1.43 and they would not run fast in my guns.I pard told me to load them at 1.53 and they run as fast as anyone can lever it.I use Trail Boss and love the way they shoot.I am about in the middle of the Hodgdon data chart for 125gr RBFP.

Some 92's will feed shorter 38's some won't. Lots of variables come into play starting with how fast you try to run them. If you are not racing the gun, just like a car, standard or pump gas will do just fine. But, the faster you go the more important the correct fuel/ammo becomes.

The original 92's were designed to work with ammo in the 1.5" to 1.6" OAL. the most common problem with the shorter 38's is the gun will throw out live rounds with the empty's. This is because the shorter 38 coming on to the carrier from the tube can bounce forward enough that the rim is too close to the rim slots in the guides and when you lever it fast the carrier just catapults them out with the empty.

I once had a B92 .357, and it absolutely would not feed anything shorter than a standard length .357. I sold it and bought two pre-safety Rossi 92's with the money, and they've never had a hiccup with any .38's - my daughter shoots 'em with 125 grainers and won the state championship in her class two years running with them.

Archived