SASS Wire Forum

Used Stoger Problem

rippin kid

I got a used Stoeger and have a problem.

Last night I tried putting it together for the 1st time and for the life of me could not get the barrel on. After studying it a while it looks like the triggers where pulled after the barrel was removed and the firing pin are out and there are two metal tabs near the hinge preventing the barrel from going on. What do I do?

I'm no gunsmith.. But I used the back handle of a screwdriver and recocked them.. It's a bit hard.. And the handle will slip.. Maybe a couple times haha..but it worked

Howdy Kid - you've already figured out 90% of your problem. Those metal tabs are the cocking arms. They push back on the cocking rods thru the water table of the shotgun, and they in turn cock the hammers in the receiver. When the triggers are pulled, they go return to the uncocked mode and need to be reset.

Good advice thus far. You can push them against a stationary object like a stout workbench, or use a tool. I've found the best method is to use a pair of channellock pliers. Open them up a notch or two, and hook the jaws on the arm. You're not really trying to grip them, just trying to gain enough leverage to move them. You can cock them one at a time without any ill effects on the mechanism.

And don't feel bad about being in this fix. I'd say 99% of everybody here was faced with the same problem at some time.

Well all I do with mine is to push the opening lever all the way to the open position and the barrel will go on.

The forarm will also go on if it is almost touching the barrel. Done it this way a bunch.

WJ

Archived