SASS Wire Forum

The Wire IS SASS

Shooting Bull

I'm a new guy to SASS, but certainly not new to online forums. IMHO, SASS is THE most welcoming forum I've ever encountered. I went to my first match just over four weeks ago and was blown away (pun intended) by how welcoming and nice everyone was. One thing that really impressed me, and was pointed out by a close friend I've made here, was that the better the shooter, the more humble and helpful they've been. Since then I've been to four matches, all at different clubs and I've met a grand total of one person that rubbed me wrong. Great game, great people, I'm hooked!

B) Right on pard! WELCOME :D

GG~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much more to be said here, but I guess that won't slow us down!

After reading Philly Slim's 1st post, I thought, "Boy, he's got a good point there." Then I read on, and by the time I got to Phantom's post, I thought, "Boy, he's got a good point there."

But, compadres, Slim is more right. Courtesy to each other, and especially to newbies, should be prized as the norm. As for responding to a bad attitude and ignorant criticism with acerbic comments, well, as my dear departed mother used to say, "Two wrongs don't make a right." If an outsider exploring our frontier has the poor manners to make such a comment as, "That's a stupid rule, these (double action) guns were real popular in the late 1800's," we might politely suggest that another shooting sport might be more his cup of tea. No need for US to have poor manners.

As has been said, there is no need to feed the trolls.

Buena suerte, amigos

eGG

I've been told that I'm not very friendly.............

So I'll refrain from commenting on anything Philly brings up.... He can't dance worth a darn!

Not much more to be said here, but I guess that won't slow us down!

After reading Philly Slim's 1st post, I thought, "Boy, he's got a good point there." Then I read on, and by the time I got to Phantom's post, I thought, "Boy, he's got a good point there."

But, compadres, Slim is more right. Courtesy to each other, and especially to newbies, should be prized as the norm. As for responding to a bad attitude and ignorant criticism with acerbic comments, well, as my dear departed mother used to say, "Two wrongs don't make a right." If an outsider exploring our frontier has the poor manners to make such a comment as, "That's a stupid rule, these (double action) guns were real popular in the late 1800's," we might politely suggest that another shooting sport might be more his cup of tea. No need for US to have poor manners.

As has been said, there is no need to feed the trolls.

Buena suerte, amigos

eGG

'More' right?? too funny ~ :lol: that must mean Phantom is not right 'enough' or 'less' right....oh man, sometimes posts just give me a good chuckle.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Civility is lacking in all of our media by virtually any definition of the term "civility". From our leaders down to the SASS WAHR we're being warned by pundit and politician alike to tone down our rhetoric to the point of censorship. It's an old argument to 'protect others' or 'if it saves just one <blank> wouldn't it be worth it?' Now we'll even restrict freedom of thought and opinion in favor of some metric of "nice speech".

Last night in a rather polarized discussion of the relative merits of union busting vis a vis Wisconsin and public employee collective bargaining, I was call a "hater" for having the opposite opinion of the speaker as well as challenging most/all of her assertions.

Maybe I'm becoming less tolerant of intolerance. In fact, lately I find myself hating "hate" more than ever before.

It seems to me that people today are often just looking for ways/ reasons/ excuses to be offended. It's as if being offended on behalf of some group or person is a badge of new found self righteous indignation disguised as being culturally enlightened. Like watching someone else's family argue, the SASS WAHR and any other forum can often just be a convenient way to criticize something that they probably already made their minds up about anyway.

+1 Brother King

I've found that some of the people who claim to be "tolerant" are really hateful people.

Guest Texas Jack Black

What I see is a pack of Leopards posting on this topic that change their spots as the wind changes direction.

They now say they are the tolerant ones.

T J B

Civility is lacking in all of our media by virtually any definition of the term "civility". From our leaders down to the SASS WAHR we're being warned by pundit and politician alike to tone down our rhetoric to the point of censorship. It's an old argument to 'protect others' or 'if it saves just one <blank> wouldn't it be worth it?' Now we'll even restrict freedom of thought and opinion in favor of some metric of "nice speech".

Last night in a rather polarized discussion of the relative merits of union busting vis a vis Wisconsin and public employee collective bargaining, I was call a "hater" for having the opposite opinion of the speaker as well as challenging most/all of her assertions.

Maybe I'm becoming less tolerant of intolerance. In fact, lately I find myself hating "hate" more than ever before.

It seems to me that people today are often just looking for ways/ reasons/ excuses to be offended. It's as if being offended on behalf of some group or person is a badge of new found self righteous indignation disguised as being culturally enlightened. Like watching someone else's family argue, the SASS WAHR and any other forum can often just be a convenient way to criticize something that they probably already made their minds up about anyway.

Give that man a ceegar! :D

Ahhhh....feelin' the :wub:

:lol:

I ever tell you he once threatened to have his wife pull all my teeth without even letting me take a swig of whiskey first??? Wouldn't even do it himself, had to have his missus do it. That there's a hater. :(

That's called wisdom. Some acquire it. Some don't.

As a New Guy, I can tell you that for the good or bad, "The Wire", as a SASS sponsored site is indeed "The SASS".

I whole heartedly agree that the best impression any new comer can get is to attend a match/club shoot (that's what hooked me) but there are 168 hours in a week and at best only 16-24 of them can be at matches/shoots. In this day and age, what ever you are curious about is on the "Net" and since people have more time at home than at any shoot, the net is where you will have the greatest indirect impact.

What does not translate is the camaraderie within the SASS that is easy to see in person at a shoot or as I experienced when hanging out in the back room at Legendary Guns for a couple hours. In person, the jesting, comments and poking fun comes off exactly as meant because you can see the participants...online you lose that so what might be harmless jest comes off as rude or off-putting. Posters should always bear this in mind be it with a new guy or old hat.

For me, the past week of mining this forum for information has been priceless, what I have learned in 40 hours of online would take a year of attending clubs and shoots. Why? Mainly because in person you have to know what to ask and who, here you don't need to ask, just keep reading and you will learn the answers to questions you never thought to ask.

Remember, this forum is as much what the SASS is as the shoots to a stary-eyed potential shooter/member and it will be all aces for the future of the SASS.

New shooters are usually treated quite well on the SASS Wire and get lots of good advice on their questions. New shooters that come on the SASS Wire AFTER they have joined the sport and SASS then immediately try to push rule changes usually get a few negative comments that suggest they shoot a while before trying to change the sport. There seem to be newer member hot button topics that elicit comments, some negative, such as one pistol only rule changes, light/heavy loads, dress code issues, why shooter can't use some prohibited gun(s) he already owns, Wild Bunch rules, etc. Most of these topics get negative comments by any topic starter on the Wire. I participate in forums in many topics outside of the shooting sports and find the SASS Wire to be darn well behaved. The only forums better behaved are those that require every single post to be read and accepted by a moderator before a post is published. I do not believe anyone wants that.

The solution is easy, a NEW SHOOTERS FORUM. Before joining, and fer the first six months after you git yore badge, you are restricted to posting on a new shooters forum. Of course we must also prevent the mean old WIRE bullies from going there to beat up on an bully the newbies. Before the new guys can go main line they must demonstrate an ability to quickly and frequently add lots of smiley faces to their posts or have to go one on one with GCK :wacko:

This would all be unnecessary if in addition to the RO1 and RO2 class, we start requiring an anger management class and sensitivity training for all SASS members who wish to post on the SASS WIRE. SASS could set this up as six month computer courses and let Allie be in charge of teaching and grading the results. HMMM, some of us just might not make it!

^^^And the word around is that you is "Slow"... :D Here you went and figger'd this whole thing out in a few lines. :) (Smiliey's duly applied, tongue firmly in cheek)

One thing I will add, just to toss it out there.

I went to WR three times during the event. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, each time I was not "In the spirit..." because I was "technically" working (went on my lunch breaks + an hour). When I asked a question, while watching stages (of who ever was nearest and not busy) I received great information. As for having anyone approach me (as what would seem an obvious, interested NOOB) while I stood watching and add insight to what the group was all about, that did not happen. I took this naturally as I have been told that I have a "don't come near...I bite" look about me when I am standing around.

This is not a knock in any way, as I said, I have a "Look" (so I am told):), and I likely would have talked someones ears off.

Thanks for a great resource of information here.

^^^And the word around is that you is "Slow"... :D Here you went and figger'd this whole thing out in a few lines. :) (Smiliey's duly applied, tongue firmly in cheek)

One thing I will add, just to toss it out there.

I went to WR three times during the event. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, each time I was not "In the spirit..." because I was "technically" working (went on my lunch breaks + an hour). When I asked a question, while watching stages (of who ever was nearest and not busy) I received great information. As for having anyone approach me (as what would seem an obvious, interested NOOB) while I stood watching and add insight to what the group was all about, that did not happen. I took this naturally as I have been told that I have a "don't come near...I bite" look about me when I am standing around.

This is not a knock in any way, as I said, I have a "Look" (so I am told):), and I likely would have talked someones ears off.

Thanks for a great resource of information here.

Winter Range is a major event and folks are very focused on the competition. Shooters are from all over the country. Monthly club shoots are different and newbies are always warmly welcomed.

Winter Range is a major event and folks are very focused on the competition. Shooters are from all over the country world. Monthly club shoots are different and newbies are always warmly welcomed.

This is true. Also, the posses are large and folks are often with folks they do not know. So, they are getting acquainted with each other.

"A look," huh? You look quite nice in your avatar.

Bob, I'm not sure what to make of your comment. :unsure: I apologize if I come across as...never mind.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well thanky Miss Allie....

I have been told that when I stand around events I am mistaken for a L.E.O. or event security. Usually this means that if I am approached it is to ask directions as if I know where everything is. The only place this did not occur was in Europe where I guess Americans aren't expected to know nuttin anymore.

maybe this here...... is another way to look at what fhilly was meaning

this forum has now been compared to many other forums out there in hyper-space

folks say it aint no worse

what I say is !.!.

Cowboy action shooting

should have some sort of a cowboy code, like Roy, Hoppy, Gene and others started

perhaps, a step above other forums, but after all

that is up to the posters themselves

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Take a look at the post counts of most of those in this thread...

I have one of the lowest with 800 something most are 2000+ I consider myself a fairly frequent poster here and then I also try to read it every day.

As someone fairly new to SASS I tend not to post unless it is something I think I really know about or I have a question that My (frequently inadequate) reading and or interpretation of the various rules booklets (BTW why can not they all be consolidated in to one master tome and index?) has not made clear to me... I can not recall any time when what I have received was not friendly and/or helpful.

The the point made that (esp. with younger folks) anyone curious or thinking about CAS... the first thing they will do is google CAS or SASS and they will in all probability head here to the Wire or to the CAS city forums and while most will have learned the need to lurk for a few weeks to get a feel for the environment before posting for the first time

Many will jump right in and I think it is with these folks that sometimes friction is seen.

They have not learned who here may post form time to time with tongue firmly in cheek or those whose humor may run say to a touch of sarcasm... that only comes with time and 'getting to know the regulars.

Cheers

Windy

I'm a guest here. Likely I'll not join up for a few more years, much less shoot (only so much time and money, have other things I'm also involved with). I found this forum with I wanted information on the 38-55. Did a google search and found this.

I posted my question and got some good answers. Did some looking around, found gun talk to which I could contribute, along with some socializing. I do try to stay out of the internal SASS stuff - although I have stepped into the Cross threads, and will occasionally toss a "stake him out on an ant hill" in the "What is the call" threads.

I've never in the time I have been here, been made to feel unwelcome or even an outsider. When I eventually make it to a match (likely something around Colusa if there are any), I'm sure I'll be made quite welcome and made to feel like an old friend.

I will say that one of the things that has kept me away (other than lack of time, money, and now guns - had to sell some off) are the "what's the call" and "that stage sucked" threads. Of course, I suppose I could show up and not shoot.

Dear Joe, the reason you see "what's the call" threads is that the actions mentioned are infrequent "in real life." Don't let them scare you. BTW, you might check out the club in Ukiah. Will Bonner is a nice guy!

Ukiah Gun Club

PO Box 26

Ukiah, California

Will Bonner

707-462-1466

Date of Match: 3rd Sunday - 10:30 am

Daniel, I've never been to Europe. Sigh! It would certainly make you look less "official."

Regards,

Allie Mo

what I say is !.!.

Cowboy action shooting

should have some sort of a cowboy code, like Roy, Hoppy, Gene and others started

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

I like this post.

WE SHOULD BE BETTER THAN THOSE OTHER FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!

But of course once opened up to everyone then..Anything goes.

I know I don't read 1/2 of the posts anymore.

But I look every night as...there sure are some great and informative posts on here.

KK

Take a look at the post counts of most of those in this thread...

I have one of the lowest with 800 something most are 2000+ I consider myself a fairly frequent poster here and then I also try to read it every day.

As someone fairly new to SASS I tend not to post unless it is something I think I really know about or I have a question that My (frequently inadequate) reading and or interpretation of the various rules booklets (BTW why can not they all be consolidated in to one master tome and index?) has not made clear to me... I can not recall any time when what I have received was not friendly and/or helpful.

The the point made that (esp. with younger folks) anyone curious or thinking about CAS... the first thing they will do is google CAS or SASS and they will in all probability head here to the Wire or to the CAS city forums and while most will have learned the need to lurk for a few weeks to get a feel for the environment before posting for the first time

Many will jump right in and I think it is with these folks that sometimes friction is seen.

They have not learned who here may post form time to time with tongue firmly in cheek or those whose humor may run say to a touch of sarcasm... that only comes with time and 'getting to know the regulars.

Cheers

Windy

One forum I belong to has good advice for newbies who start to rankle the members.

1. Read more. Post less.

2. The search button is your friend.

:lol: :lol:

Hi Windy!

About consolidating the rule booklets, BECAUSE! :rolleyes: Just kidding. :lol:

Many of us here have wished and voiced the same thing. We've given up on it ever happening. However, IIRC, I once read a valid :unsure: argument that the Shooter Handbook is to give "noobs" an idea what is needed to shoot. You know, categories, clothing and gun requirements...without scaring/overwhelming them with all the detailed rules.

I remember one of my first posts very well. I'd been shooting several years before I came here. I still have the same concern as I expressed in that post. However, I was told face-to-face by a long timer that I was "tilting at windmills" by thinking I could change things and I would look like an idiot for getting involved with the Wire. :blink: My post was not well-received on the Wire either.

My concern was/is preteens picking up brass and being near the line while folks are shooting. When shooting close pistol targets, lead is in the air. IMO, this is dangerous for youngins. I believe they should shoot, (YES!) and then stay away from the line. In other words, their exposure to lead should be minimized. :ph34r:

Regards,

Allie "wire junkie, windmill tilter" Mo

what I say is !.!.

Cowboy action shooting

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

AAAAAAAAAAAH .........now this is makin sense............sometimes Mad people make more sense than ya think.............good perspective there Mikey

I will say that one of the things that has kept me away are the "what's the call" and "that stage sucked" threads. Of course, I suppose I could show up and not shoot.

Howdy Joe, yep you need to start going to some matches. Those things are far and few between at the range. For some things the wire ain't SASS. :) Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r:

AAAAAAAAAAAH .........now this is makin sense............sometimes Mad people make more sense than ya think.............good perspective there Mikey

Oh please, I said the same thing 30 posts before him. Only reason you like his better is 'cause you're just as MADD as he is. :P

Oh please, I said the same thing 30 posts before him. Only reason you like his better is 'cause you're just as MADD as he is. :P

You're all blind to the bad guys. What's up with that? You can't have a western without a proper bad guy anyway. Think about it... you'd have singing pretty boys dressed up in bling, fringe and flashy boots all fawning over each other...oh wait- there was a movie about that.

Thank goodness for Deadwood, I say. Most of the characters were just a little "SKEWED" like most everyone on every posse I've ever been on. From the Down-under cowboys and cowgirls to the Yankees (yeah, I know Matthew- get a rope) to the Texans and the Rockies buckaroos if they all acted like Hoppy, Gene and Roy this would be one boring cyber-room.

Heck, I like it when ol' Lone Dog gets so far out on a rant he looks back like Wiley Coyote wondering what happened to his tree branch. Or when Madd Mike gets to defending the good ol' days like the lives in the Alamo depended on it. What about when BJT throws in a moment of reasoned heresy?

Careful what you ask for- this would be one boring bar scene without our nasty regulars. We'd probably all be drinking mimosas.

Archived