SASS Wire Forum

The Wire, Exploding heads and a new Cart

Just spent some time perusing the Wire thread that is linked to another board populated by non-SASS shooters, looking for input on why they don't shoot SASS....a neat idea, initially, but it has devolved on both boards...

I now know that the Wire is not the only place where folks who know nothing about a topic gather to share lies and misconceptions, and then to argue about who is wrong.

My head is about to explode; apparently, we require all shooters to adopt a persona, and to "play act" that persona, in full period correct clothing, while shooting loads that no full-blooded man would tolerate. On the other side, anyone disappointed with rules changes and aggressive competition is a traitor, and should be banned from posting.

Would SOMEBODY please melt this snow, warm the air, and let us shoot?

Time to go to the shop and work on my cart. No sharp tools today, though.....

LL

PICS ADDED: http://loophole.smugmug.com/Guncarts/SASS-Equipment/16029758_YHfDh#1202825499_VaDYc

LL

Just spent some time perusing the Wire thread that is linked to another board populated by non-SASS shooters, looking for input on why they don't shoot SASS....a neat idea, initially, but it has devolved on both boards...

Unfortunately this is usually the case. The threads degenerate into name calling and dragging up old skeletons to bash about. I tune out when that garbage starts up. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

new cart? now that sounds like something worth talking about! Tell us about it! Design, materials, etc etc!

People love to spout off about things they know nothing about, and repeat lies and misinformation that they've heard second hand from others doing the same thing. Over there, much like here, there are some who are open minded, some who are know it all jerks, and some in between. At least it gave myself and a few others an chance to introduce folks who may not have been familiar with the game to it.

Now, about that new cart, tell us all about it!

Grizz

Aaahh- something to talk about besides debating light loads.

I made my gun cart a couple of months ago. I loosely followed plans that I found on a different sight (can't remember which). The top section (uprights and handle) comes apart from the base with a couple of carriage bolts and wing nuts for packing in the car. The base has the gun slots and an old Czech surplus ammo crate in front.

After using it for two matches, I decided to make a couple of modifications to make it more ergonomic. The first was to make the handles longer for more leverage. The second was to add a shelf between the handles that fits boxes of shotgun shells. Before this the shells were in the ammo crate on the bottom. After every stage, I would have to bend down to reload my shotshell belt- something not easy to do with a gun belt on (not to mention a destroyed disc in my back). The shelf made a HUGE difference in shooting the match last weekend. If you are designing your own cart, definitely include a shelf to hold your shotgun shells.

I initially thought that I would have to make 2 gun carts to get one I liked. Then I realized that 4 was probably a better guess. Currently planning #5.

#4 is made off of a donated 3 wheel jogging cart. Fully loaded it weighs 45#. Folds to easy trunk packing. Still not happy with the top of the uprights.

new cart? now that sounds like something worth talking about! Tell us about it! Design, materials, etc etc!

People love to spout off about things they know nothing about, and repeat lies and misinformation that they've heard second hand from others doing the same thing. Over there, much like here, there are some who are open minded, some who are know it all jerks, and some in between. At least it gave myself and a few others an chance to introduce folks who may not have been familiar with the game to it.

Now, about that new cart, tell us all about it!

Grizz

GD:

I started with a Harbor Freight welding cart - steel tube frame, loop handle, big wire-spoked pneumatic tires, large, flat base and a suspended tray in front of your knees. Disassembled, sanded, primed, and painted with a Rustoleum product that looks sorta like hand-hammered metal. Fabricated a low box to receive a cooler and gun butts, mounted on the flat front platform. Fabricated an upper platform, at a bit above waist height, with the handle uprights running right through it. Cut-outs on the front for two shotguns and two rifles, with an umbrella hole thru the middle (and one in the base box, too). Rear section of upper platform (right in front of the user)has a flat shelf with a raised rail around the edge, lined in felt, for revolver and ammo retention. Lower box and upper platform all from mahogany. Free-pivoting box at knees lined in matching felt with mahogany lid; holds, by chance, two boxes of .38s, two of .45s and two of shotshells, with some room to spare. Handle covered in sewn deerskin. Pics will follow when the Mrs. returns with the camera. Almost done; need to line the long gun cut-outs, and I should be set.

Took longer to describe it than to make it.....

LL

When my present cart gives out I'll go back to saddlebags and public racks.

The other thread deteriorated so I asked to have it pulled. If the usual suspects want to beat their dead horses some more, they can start their own.

I now know that the Wire is not the only place where folks who know nothing about a topic gather to share lies and misconceptions, and then to argue about who is wrong.

My head is about to explode; apparently, we require all shooters to adopt a persona, and to "play act" that persona, in full period correct clothing, while shooting loads that no full-blooded man would tolerate. On the other side, anyone disappointed with rules changes and aggressive competition is a traitor, and should be banned from posting.

Would SOMEBODY please melt this snow, warm the air, and let us shoot?

Time to go to the shop and work on my cart. No sharp tools today, though.....

LL

PICS ADDED: http://loophole.smug...202825499_VaDYc

LL

Nice cart.. thanks for posting.. and they are fighting about Sass or not to SASS? lol... Geesh, try it you might like it?? lol

I like the try for sitting your guns.. very cool..

So, a thread in your honor will now appear... Why I love shooting Sass..

Archived