SASS Wire Forum

To Have a Cross or Not...

J.P.Sloe , SASS # 23506

I was optimistic when this chapel plan started. I didn't see these problems coming, but they are to be expected. The cross and Gospel of Christ can only create any degree of unity within a group of CHRISTIANS. Faith in Jesus Christ, can and will, divide families and friends. Jesus warned of this. Either this will be a place where Christ is exalted, or it won't. This is just a building, so build it already, and call it whatever you like. I'm sorry if people feel misled or misrepresented.

I think there are several things that could be done to help diffuse the hard feelings some people seem have about this.

First is to change the stock photo at the bottom of this page to one of a building that does not have a Cross on it. There are plenty of historic examples of western churches without a Cross, there must be some that are open source.

Second would be to make sure that any brochures, fliers, or other advertising in the future don't have an image of a building with a Cross on it.

Third thing might be a letter or note in the CC from whatever committee is in charge of the fund raising, design, etc. letting people know that there was no intention to mislead anyone, just a simple communications mix up. Actually, maybe this should be the first thing. Letting the members of SASS know that their concerns have been heard by the committee and that the committee is willing to listen and address those concerns.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching that Anthony Bourdain travel/eating show the other day. He was at the wharf in San Francisco. He went to the Fisherman's Chapel on the dock. The pastor explained it had no cross so that all the fishermen would feel welcome there.

I was watching that Anthony Bourdain travel/eating show the other day. He was at the wharf in San Francisco. He went to the Fisherman's Chapel on the dock. The pastor explained it had no cross so that all the fishermen would feel welcome there.

What a misconception folks have about the cross - the cross actually welcomes ALL people....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived