SASS Wire Forum

I may need a new Alias

Aunt Jen

Hi, guys.

It's been very kindly suggested to me elsewhere that, perhaps, my alias, "Aunt Jen" is not SASS-ie enough, not old west frontier enough, and I'm kinda guessing that maybe that's so.

I had in mind the idea of a school marmie, farmer's wifie, kinda prairie characterish kinda thing, but even so, I'm not sure that fits, either.

Some of you know me, most don't. But I do think that this great, rowdy, opinionated, guffaw group could easily come up with some great ideas that I'll consider over time. Don't plan to take any new aliases right now. I'm a slow thinker. But your input would be great.

I like;

funny things

character things

iconic things...

but not really bawdy, loud or flashy.

Ideas?

Aunt Jen a-lookin'

How about:

Auntie Jen sound similar to Antigen.

By definition: antigen is a substance/molecule that, when introduced into the body, triggers the production of an antibody by the immune system which will kill or neutralize that is recognized as a foreign and potentially harmful invader.

Or maybe:

Jen U. Win (genuine)

JEHN Wayne or Jen Wayne (female version of John Wayne)

Jen N. Tonic

Jug O. Jen (jug of gin- sorry I couldn't help it :rolleyes::lol: )

That's about all I can think of now.

Good luck on your search. Let us know what you've come up with.

Making progress...

I love Jen N Tonic, Farmer's Wife, and I do still like Aunt Jen as well.

Also:

Farm Wife (shortened)

Cussin Kate

Schoolmarm

And I see on the Member's Only section that we get to list 3 aliases? I could pick 3 and let one grow on me more.

So far, I kinda like 4:

Aunt Jen

Cussin Kate

Jen n Tonic

Schoolmarm

What's the vote on these?

I can see by your SASS # 16224, that you've had that alias for a while, and if you like it,........I'd stick with it !

hmmmmm...

True on how they'd refer to me.

I do think Aunt Jen is okay n some ways, but it doesn't sound old west, does it?

With Cussin Kate, I'd be called Kate sometimes, and that's nice.

With Schoolmarm......

Well, I wouldn't let 'em change it....

I think it's actually a pretty neat alias. Doesn't have to be "Amarillo Aunt Jen" or the like to be cool.

Aunt Jen sounds like a real person.

I like Aunt Jen. It fits you. You're use to it. And it's already yours. Don't let people talk you out of it. Smithy.

I'm going to join with the others saying that you should remain Aunt Jen.

Those that are "kindly suggesting" can call you Jaw-Break Jen... perhaps that'll tie up their yaps.

It's been very kindly suggested to me elsewhere that, perhaps, my alias, "Aunt Jen" is not SASS-ie enough, not old west frontier enough, and I'm kinda guessing that maybe that's so.

Horsefeathers! No where is it written how SASS-ie an alias has to be. Telling somebody their alias is not 'old west frontier' enough is just about as bad as telling somebody their costume is not good enough. Take a look sometime, there are plenty of other aliases that are not particularly Old West. Look at mine for instance. If you like it, and are comfortable with people calling you that, than keep it.

I would keep Aunt Jen, you have had it a long time, there are other names out there that are not cowboy like, so what if yours doesn't sound cowboy, who cares, what cares is what you like and you have had this a long time by your number so I say KEEP IT, who cares what others think

All for now JD Trampas

Horsefeathers! No where is it written how SASS-ie an alias has to be. Telling somebody their alias is not 'old west frontier' enough is just about as bad as telling somebody their costume is not good enough. Take a look sometime, there are plenty of other aliases that are not particularly Old West. Look at mine for instance. If you like it, and are comfortable with people calling you that, than keep it.

A BIG +1 from this cowboy with a different type of alais hisownself. I like "Aunt Jen".......keep it!

I would stay with Aunt Jen as far as Jen and Tonic being more sassie......I have never seen a western movie where someone ordered a Gin (Jen) & tonic

I'll go with this feller's response!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I'm focusing on the SASS'ish and frontier sounding aspect of your comments; if one was to read up on the history of Jackson Hole Wyoming one would be very familiar with Jen or Jenny. Here's an excert:

"By 1845 the fur trade had drawn to a close because the silk hat had replaced the one made of beaver felt. Then, Jackson Hole reverted to the summer habitation of various Indian tribes and an occasional government expedition. The Hayden Surveys of 1871, 1872, and 1878 officially named many of the important landmarks. Leigh Lake and Jenny Lake were named in honor of the guide for the 1872 expedition — Richard "Beaver Dick" Leigh. Beaver Dick was one of the last of the mountain man trappers who lived in the valley. Jenny Lake was named for his wife, a Shoshoni woman, and Leigh Lake was named for Beaver Dick himself."

So, I'm thinkin' that your alias is great, just put the story behind it.....

My very first thought is to agree with the others that Aunt Jen is just fine. If other folks don't like it, that's THEIR problem, not yours.

But if you really want to change, here's some thoughts:

Rowdy In Jen

Laughing In Jen

Jen Teel

Jeneral May Hem

There's a lady who shoots the Idaho State Shoot every year whose alias is Granny Jan. I think if I were you, I'd stick with Aunt Jen, unless you're truly feeling the urge for a new one..

Whoever kindly suggested that to you needs to kindly mind their own bidness. :angry:

Hi Jen,

If you like it, keep it.

I've seen plenty of aliases (aliai :lol: ) that are Hubby, Aunt, Aunte, Uncle, Granny, Grandpa, Grandpaw...

That said, Jen Teal is cute. Philly is a clever person.

Remember Ricky Nelson's Garden Party? "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"

Regards,

Allie Mo

Hi, guys.

I'm afraid if someone said that to me, I'd have to kindly suggest that they mind their own business.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

It may not sound Hollywood enough for some people. Or cutesy enough. But it is a perfectly fine familiar name for neighbors, friends, and relatives to use. Or maybe you are the herbalist, or the town soft touch - the woman who will always have a meal or treat for a hungry kid.

A lot of the names I see here, including mine (not much in the way of subdeacons in the US during that time period, and likely would not have used that other than around church anyway - much like today), are not particularly "old west." Take a look here: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-outlawlist-a.html and here: http://www.jimwegryn.com/Names/Cowboys3.htm Most are pretty bland, aren't they? And most don't sound SASS-y at all.

I did a lot of name consulting in a different historic/fantasy role play group and there were the same problems. People with perfectly good historic names, or names of proper construction, got comments that they didn't "sound" right. We tried and tried to get someone to take "Erc" (5th century Cornish saint), "Mungo" (5th century Welsh Saint - also know as Kentigern) or "Serf" (one of Mungos teachers).

So, stand proud and spit in their eyes Aunt Jen, and know that your name formation is fine.

I like Aunt Jen but it has too many letters.

I'd just go with Jen.

Archived