SASS Wire Forum

WE WAS ROBBED!

True Grit was nominated for 8 Acadeny Awards but got 0.:angry: Jeff Bridges was nominated for Best Actor but went home empty handed as did Hailey Steinfeld who was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. :angry: She should have been awarded the Oscar for Best Actress. But the dorks in Hollyweird gave all the Oscars to their fellow dorks.

Maybe we oughta start our own awards & call it the Duke. We could give it only for westerns. OH they already got one o those! It's called the Golden Boot Awards & is given out at the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC. :lol:

I was listening to a morning talk show interview of a Oscar worker bee. They went over the nominations and one of the hosts said "Cowboys is for trailer trash, they will not win". He was being sarcastic and the Oscar worker bee was agitated but that appears to be the Hollywood attitude.

Sad.

BJT

I've often thought that there is somewhat of a prejudice against films that don't make the pretense of "high art." Animated films rarely win out of their category. Actors in horror films never win, even very good ones. Cowboy movies rarely win either. Dang shame.

I have no interest in seeing 90% of the garbage the twisted freaks in Hollywood make. Much of it comes from sick, perverted, ugly people and it shows.

while in agreement with the above comments......I went to "The King's Speech" Saturday evening and was pleasantly impressed.....it was a most excellent presentation, far far better than what I expected. Magnificent story and very well done.

However, it warn't no "True Grit". Yet the good King George VI did exhibit a remarkable 'true grittiness' in his head-on wrassling match with his affliktion & his own devils.

Yep, and they will snub anything to do with John Wayne. John Wayne was a conservative Republican. They even tried to snub him back then.

I bought "The Cowboys" again a while back. (Long story, I really was robbed) and I decided to watch the extras after the movie. All the director and Bruce Dern could talk about was how apprehensive they were about doing the movie with the Duke, since he was a conservative Republican. They had these ideas floating about in their heads about what a terrible person he would be to work around.

IThey said things like "that person never showed up to work". (By "that person" they meant a mean baddy Republican.)

Yeah, a hard working, respectful actor kicked booty in one of the best films of its day (IMO) and kept his politics to himself on the job.

Don't ya wish Hollywood and university professors could be so professional?

Guess what the public thinks doesn't count.

King's Speech playing in 2300 theaters has grossed $114,000,000.

True Grit playing in 1200 theaters has grossed $167,000,000.

Playing on half as many screens and it makes 30% more.

Another Hollywierd poofluarity contest with no basis in reality.

Talking politics and Hollywood, I remember an interview with Jane Fonda televised during the Vietnam War. She could not believe there were people who would not watch her movies following her activities in Hanoi.

Maybe it's because the new True Grit wasn't that good?

Fillmore

I really think the movie missed on basis of merit. Jeff Bridges just did not seem to be one with the part and though I did enjoy the movie, he was not worthy of such a high recognition. I kept thinking that he was close but he just never went the final mile and broke out into uncontrollable sobs for his shortcomings. Just one scene with tears of remorse and apology for his being born a heterosexual male and trying to live by some code of right and wrong would have made all the difference in the world. Perhaps Hollywood can do crossover next year that will finally bring home the sausage, lets see what would sell those guys??? I got it The He-Queens Brokeback Speech and Weep!

My pards and I have had many a discussion of wishing hollywood would make a blockbuster western using a huge cast of actors in the vein of movies like the Magnificent Seven. There's a lot of actors to draw from starting with Tom Selleck and Kevin Costner and going from there. Don't know if would win any awards, but I'd think it was a sure thing to bring in lots of cash.

My pards and I have had many a discussion of wishing hollywood would make a blockbuster western using a huge cast of actors in the vein of movies like the Magnificent Seven. There's a lot of actors to draw from starting with Tom Selleck and Kevin Costner and going from there. Don't know if would win any awards, but I'd think it was a sure thing to bring in lots of cash.

I'd sure go see it!

Archived