SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 38 and LOA

Barbwire Benn

Hope this hasn't been talked to death but...............

Just getting my Dillon 550 going good and had a question about the LOA that

the Marlin 1894c likes.

I'm loading 125gn. Lead TC bullets.

I've had a few hiccups in the past with this rifle and didn't know if its me

not cycling good or a LOA problem.

I've noticed various lengths from 1.45 - 1.50 in the posts I've seen so far.

What works good in the 94c in 38 calb. for ya ll???

My gun has has some work: slicked and one piece firing pin

but NOT short stroked.

Thanks

Barbwire Benn

When I approach the 1.48 plus area I start getting into

area below the crimp groove. Is anyone crimping below this.

Does the 94c like longer rounds?

Thanks,

Barbwire Benn

I load a 158 TC because it's a little longer than the 125 and I crimp it below the grove to an OAL of 1.52 (in a .38 case). I use a Lee Factory Crimp to give it a tight crimp right into the bullet. My 1873 and Marlin like this length.

Yep I have an 1894C 38/357. You just have to load a couple and see what works. I used the 125gr. from Ammo Direct and their OAL was 1.53 and worked fine. I am reloading the 147 grn. from Moulton Lead and have to stay at about 1.48. Trial N Error.

If you use 38 Spl. cases, you need to stay at approx. 1.540 or a bit longer, or you very possibly will have feeding problems. Mine does OK with this length, but actually runs smoother with lengths of 1.560 to 1.590, which require using 357 cases.

Since I like my rifle ammo a tad snappier than the pistols, I just load the rifle with 357 cases. That way the rifle ammo is at optimum length, (1.585 to 1.590), and optimum velocity, (1000 FPS), and feeding is 1000% positive.

Some Marlins will feed shorter ammo very reliably, and some won't. You just have to try some and see. It's desired by some to use the same ammo in both the pistols and the rifle, and that's ok. However, when total reliability says use the longer length, then it's a no-brainer to load ammo that feeds the best in your rifle.

RBK

Another option is to crimp at the top of the lube groove. I did that for a few years with my Marlin.

By crimping at the top of the lube groove, the bullet cannot be forced into the shell and make shorter.

Archived