SASS Wire Forum

Any helpful ideas?

I am wondering if I could get some input on Short Stroke kits. I've been looking at some online and found Poineer Gun Works - Super Short Stroke Kit, along with one from Cowboys and Indians - 5th Generation Short Stroke Kit. Both are the same price. Does anyone have any familiarity or advice on either one of these kits. I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice.

Shenaniguns

I am wondering if I could get some input on Short Stroke kits. I've been looking at some online and found Poineer Gun Works - Super Short Stroke Kit, along with one from Cowboys and Indians - 5th Generation Short Stroke Kit. Both are the same price. Does anyone have any familiarity or advice on either one of these kits. I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice.

Shenaniguns

The feller that I know who knows what he's talking about prefers the C & I 5th Generation over the other, but he says it typically takes someone who knows what they're doing to get them timed right. Either of them are shorter than what I use. Unless you're super duper fast, my bet is either one would work well for you. Even if you are super duper fast, either one would work well for you. Both good.

You actually have a third choice. "The Ottaway Smith" AKA Ron Snover also makes a short stroke kit. Ron's kit is the Rolls Royce of short stroke kits. You didn't mention what caliber your rifle is. I have found for large bore rifles the older "Third Generation" kits work a bit better than the "Super Short Stroke" kits. Super Short are fine in small bore guns (.38/.32).

C&I doesn't offer their third generation anymore to the best of my knowledge. Third generation would have to come either from Ron Snover or Pioneer Gunworks.

You will find, without the attendant action work, you won't be happy with any short stroke. Once you eliminate the mechanical advantage the rifle will be very stiff to operate. I'd suggest you check in with some of your local shooters for someone to work over the action at the same time. There is about 3 1/2 to 5 hours of skilled work prior to installing the kit.

If your interested, you can reach the Ottaway Smith at "rwsnover@concast.net"

Coffinmaker

Archived