SASS Wire Forum

Fires Devastate the Texas Panhandle

Lone Dog, SASS #20401

Fanned by an infernal north wind gusting to 80 mph, fires devastated large areas of the Panhandle yesterday and all night. A hundred or more homes were lost and hundreds of folks left homeless. Fire crews were helpless and hopeless in the face of such a fierce firestorm.

Prayers up for our poor neighbors who lost everything. If ye have any spare gold dust pards might I humbly suggest the American Red Cross which has locally been overwhelmed. Churches have stepped into the gap. One subdivision, Mesilla Park north of Amarillo no longer exists. Entire towns were evacuated.

It was a long day and longer night. Thankfully the winds have subsided today but are forecast to return tomorrow. We could use everyone's prayers for just a little rain please Lord...

I wish I could give you some of ours, it rained most of last week. Fifteen years ago a large part of the Oakland, California hills has a huge fire that was on my Armored Truck route. We drove through 2 days after the fire and the devastation was unbelievable, whole neighborhoods were gone. I'll take earthquakes any day. Prayers up for all those who are now without homes.

There was a bad pile up on I-20 here yesterday and one person died because of the blowing sand & smoke from a wild fire. There have been fires all over west Texas. It's a sad time. We've been in a drought for several months & it's like a tinder box everywhere you look for hundreds of miles. Like Lone Dog said, pards please pray for rain for us. :(

Archived