SASS Wire Forum

Bullet Casting

Flat Water Bob

I am thinking about casting my own bullets for cowboy action. Got enough $$ set aside to purchase the equipment. Want to start out without trying to locate, mix, etc., the lead. Rather start with the right mixture ready to melt down. So....what lead hardness/mix do I want to purchase? Which commercial outlet do you purchase from? Midway, Lyman??? I shoot 200gr., 45 cal., round nose flat top. thanks

August West gave you great pointers. Some shooters like to have a harder bullet, and they prefer the 4% antimony, 2% tin (which is a little harder than wheelweights). Sometimes called "Hardball Bullet Casting Alloy" If you shoot semi-auto pistols or a lever rifle that has some feeding issues, the harder alloy can be useful. But the 30/1 alloy really is hard to beat for the standard CAS matches.

Good luck, GJ

Send me an E-mail at Greeenriver@hotmail.com and I will set you up to cast for your 45's.

Health has forced me to stop and I have everything you need to despose of. I live in MI and can meet you half way to explain the entire process, and how I have done it, and lots of lead for casting.

Include casting in the subject line so I know to answer it. I will be going back to MI in about the next 3 weeks so this may take a month or so if your interested. Price can be worked out in E-mail or in person if we can meet halfway. Heavy stuff, shipping would be high.

Greeenriver

Archived