SASS Wire Forum

setting up little girl to shoot

Trigger Mike

I have bought her a Browning 22 lever action to use as well as a pair of Ruger single six 22s. Right now we go to a friends farm and she shoots a little ruger bearcat 22 and does fine. I may get a second one if her hand is not right for the single six. She says she wants to dress like I do and I wear yankee trousers with the infantry stripe (I was a sergeant in the infantry so I play myself) a civilian shirt and civilian boots. I found a suttler that sells the pants like mine and shirts and will get her a civil war style belt and cut it to her size(they sell for around 20.) and put a civil war Louisiana belt buckle (she was born there). I do not know the best place to get holsters and where to get a 410 shotgun.

How small is she? I used to have a Louisiana buckle. You can have it, if I can find it. Clothes are tough for little ones. I've had some made by family members and modified jeans to make them "more cowboy".

She turns 8 this year and my club lets me bring her after 8 years old. I think she wears a size 8 clothes.

All I can say is "Good for you". What a great parent!

Lot better shooting with you parent than sitting on the couch playing video games too!!!

Way to go girl!!!

I am trying to get my grandchildren interested in CAS.

We are going to a shoot the end of March so they can see what goes on.

GOOD LUCK

kk

Lot better shooting with you parent than sitting on the couch playing video games too!!!

Way to go girl!!!

I am trying to get my grandchildren interested in CAS.

We are going to a shoot the end of March so they can see what goes on.

GOOD LUCK

kk

everytime I go she says she can't wait until she can go with me. I worry thought since the matches last all day, I wonder if she will get tired and bored and want to go home.

I take my 8 year old grandson.I dont let him shoot in a match yet, Started him with single six 22,but he shoots my P model 38s better.Got him a little henry and Henry sent me a stock to cut off.Cut down a single shot 410 and we shoot until I have had to much.He is small and I am going to get him some P Jrs. in 38s.Got a grand daughter coming up also.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

my grandson wants to shoot but the club near where he and his mom live say he has to be 12 first (he'll be 12 in May) so far I have a Henry 22 with youth stock, a Single Six and his choice of shotguns, .410, 20 gauge or 12 gauge

my grandson wants to shoot but the club near where he and his mom live say he has to be 12 first (he'll be 12 in May) so far I have a Henry 22 with youth stock, a Single Six and his choice of shotguns, .410, 20 gauge or 12 gauge

where is a good place to get a 410?

to me the stock springs on a single six are way harder to cock than my new vaqueros. I've shot them back to back, first the .22 single six, then a .38 new Vaq and really didn't notice any difference in recoil. That was with borrowed RNV and ammo so I don't know how light the loads were, but...

my loads are a bit stouter, but still very manageable.

Congrats on getting your daughter interested. Mine is off at college and has liked plinking with the .22s, but is just now starting to show an interest in doing a bit more shooting.

my local gunstore ordered it. Its a Harrington Richardson Pardner single shot in .410. Priced out at $125

to me the stock springs on a single six are way harder to cock than my new vaqueros. I've shot them back to back, first the .22 single six, then a .38 new Vaq and really didn't notice any difference in recoil. That was with borrowed RNV and ammo so I don't know how light the loads were, but...

my loads are a bit stouter, but still very manageable.

Congrats on getting your daughter interested. Mine is off at college and has liked plinking with the .22s, but is just now starting to show an interest in doing a bit more shooting.

I agree, hopefully I will be able to have a lighter spring installed real soon

Rattlesnake started when he was 5. He shot single six 22's and a Henry 22 youth cut down that didn't last long. He didn't start shooting a shotgun till he was almost 9. By the time he was 9 he was shooting P Jr's (mistake not very reliable). They didn't last long either. I got him a set of short stroked 32 H&R Ruger Single Six done by West Fargo. They were great but I got tired of 32 brass gettin mixed up with 38 so he got some short stroked 38's. He also had some Rodeos and some Colts but always went back to the Rugers. I really don't know how many sets of pistols he's gone through. As for rifle, the Henry didn't last but about a year and I got him a real slick Marlin 38 carbine. It held 10 and was about as light as the Henry. He shot the Marlin for about a year then I got him a 73 Carbine by Cody Conagher. Cody did a great job on this rifle, he took a 19" gun and cut it to 17" so it was lighter and held 10. That is a great rifle and if you can get something like that I highly recommend it otherwise the Marlin was the best way to go because of the price.

As for shotgun, we never really bothered with a 410 he got a Remington Spartan double with a limbsaver grind to fit and he shot Featherlight Winchesters with it. You can also load down your own shells ( remember Buckaroo class doesn't have to drop the shotgun targets just hit them). He also has a couple 97's configured the same.

So with all that said if I was to do it all over again and save myself thousands of dollars I would do this:

Pistols- new vaqueros with super Blackhawk hammers

stainless in 38

Rifle- either the Marlin Carbine in 38 or a 73 carbine. Whatever budget will allow. Remember it's a pay me now or pay me later thing on that. Lol

Shotgun- just get a 12 gauge and be done with it. You can load them down to be lighter than a 410 and install limbsaver and a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. A 97 or a double is good whatever they are comfortable with.

The last advice I will give is this. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. The dry fire practice will help the with getting familiar with the guns, muscle memory and builds upper body strength.

That's my 2 cents for what it's worth been there done it.

Colt

I got your back on the holsters for your daughter. Send me your mailing information and I will make her a set free of charge. All I ask is that you send me a check for the postage and pass it on when another new shooter needs some help getting started. Kids are the future of our sport.

I got your back on the holsters for your daughter. Send me your mailing information and I will make her a set free of charge. All I ask is that you send me a check for the postage and pass it on when another new shooter needs some help getting started. Kids are the future of our sport.

WOW! That sure is nice. I will PM you. Thank you a lot. I will pass them on when she moves up to a bigger gun. She has 2 brothers coming behind her, one turns 6 this year and one turns 2. I will pass them on when they are done.

For my daughters (11 and 9 years old), I found a cheap, beat up 410 from a local pawn shop that I cut down to size and refinished.

Here are some pictures of the finished project: Daughter's First Shotgun

If they stay involved in the sport, I plan on getting them a 12 gauge as the next shotgun.

Couple of issues I came across:

1) a 410 kicks less than a 12 gauge with featherweight loads. I've had my girls shoot both, and they like the 410 better. Since I don't reload shotgun, I didn't have any homemade ultralight 12 gauge loads for them to test.

2) the chopped down single shot 410 weighs less than a double barrel 12 gauge, so my girls have an easier time shooting the 410.

3) when the girls get tired, they are done shooting. Sometimes my youngest one won't make it through an entire match, but she has fun shooting 3 or 4 stages.

4) practice/practice/practice. Before I let my girls shoot at a match, they could load their single actions and lever action, and unload. At a local shooting range, I had them practice mock stages just like it would be at a match (loading table in one bay, shoot the next bay, unloading table in the next). My fear was that if the girls couldn't handle the firearms correctly, I would spend more time 'babysitting' than shooting at the match.

5) the cowboys in my club have been great - they are helpful with the girls and keep them safe.

Hope this helps to keep it fun and safe for your daughter.

Good luck!

Here is a slideshow of my oldest daughter's first shoot to share with your daughter.

First Shoot

If you notice, she doesn't have any holsters. Just a chap style bag that she carries the pistols in. The kids don't draw and fire, they stage their pistols in order to keep it safe.

I brought out the single six while ago and let her dry fire it some and she seemed to handle the gun OK, though I wish her hands were a hair bigger, but she will likely grow by her birthday. The mock stages is a real good idea. I figure it will be a few months after she starts shooting before she goes to a match. Since the cowboy guns are for her brothers to use when they get old enough as well, I have a ruger 10/22 that I bought a spare stock for that I will dye pink and give her for her birthday. When she was 2 she used to see it in the safe and grab it and say it was her gun, though she has forgotten that now. I figure she needs to be taught how to use them and be comfortable with them and then when she is married she will more likely pick a husband more suiting to my liking(not a liberal or something).

I figure she needs to be taught how to use them and be comfortable with them and then when she is married she will more likely pick a husband more suiting to my liking(not a liberal or something).

That is pretty good - I've never thought of it that way.

Teach them to be a real woman, and they will marry a real man.

I've always wanted to raise them to be strong and independent. Part of that is to raise them to never be a victim.

Plus, the time that we get to spend together while shooting is good quality time. No TV/cell phones/etc.

Here is a slideshow of my oldest daughter's first shoot to share with your daughter.

First Shoot

If you notice, she doesn't have any holsters. Just a chap style bag that she carries the pistols in. The kids don't draw and fire, they stage their pistols in order to keep it safe.

she liked watching it. thanks.

Now THAT's the kinda stuff that I see among fellow SASS members that makes me very proud to be a part!

My hat's off to you, sir! :FlagAm:

....on another note, ya'll all need to bring those daughters, sons, grandkids, neighbors, etc. out to shoot with you. What happens to SASS when we're all too old to cock them pistols anymore? :rolleyes:

What's "way more cool" (borrowing a phrase from my 13 y/o daughter) is that you get to spend some really good (I hate this term but it does fit) "quality" time with your youngster. I'm reminded daily that I only have 5 more years and she's gone to college...... :unsure: When my 8 y/o son is safe enough (he's already shooting, but not SASS yet), he'll be out there with us. I'm encouraged because I'm seeing a lot of folks bringing out the youngsters to our club. I like it....I like it alot. ;)

I have bought her a Browning 22 lever action to use as well as a pair of Ruger single six 22s. Right now we go to a friends farm and she shoots a little ruger bearcat 22 and does fine. I may get a second one if her hand is not right for the single six. She says she wants to dress like I do and I wear yankee trousers with the infantry stripe (I was a sergeant in the infantry so I play myself) a civilian shirt and civilian boots. I found a suttler that sells the pants like mine and shirts and will get her a civil war style belt and cut it to her size(they sell for around 20.) and put a civil war Louisiana belt buckle (she was born there). I do not know the best place to get holsters and where to get a 410 shotgun.

H & R single shot shotgun

cut both ends off, if she is small

black powder 410's wont kick at all

pm me if you want me to ship you some to try

my grand daughters holster belt fits by thigh

Outlaw Gambler is true to his word here and a great Pard!! He made me a great set of holsters for the kids to use. I still owe you pictures Gambler. I haven't forgotten.

H & R single shot shotgun

cut both ends off, if she is small

black powder 410's wont kick at all

pm me if you want me to ship you some to try

my grand daughters holster belt fits by thigh

I remember when you could get those at walmart. Now they don't sell guns anymore. I will check with the local dealers.

Archived