SASS Wire Forum

EBOOKS

shenny

If you already have an E BOOK and wanted a new one which one would you buy??

If you already have an E BOOK and wanted a new one which one would you buy??

Call me 18th century, or 19th, or 20th, or whatever; but NOTHING will ever replace holding a real book and reading. Don't have to worry about whether or not you have a back light in your model, batteries running out, or not having Wifi connection to get more material. Besides, not sure Wyatt,William Bonney, Wes Hardin, Jack Hayes, et al had E-books!!!! ;)

OK, don't judge me here.

I have a wife, three boys, and a daughter-in-law. Between us we have 5 PC's, 2 Mac's, 4 Netbooks, 5 Notebooks, 4 iPhones, 2 Androids, 2 iPads, and 4 Kindles.

The Kindle is a device that is designed to do one thing, be a EBook. It has black type on an off white background. It will last on a battery charge for a good 5 or more days. It is simple.

After having tried all the others, including some that I do not personally own, but have borrowed to try out, the Kindle is by far best "book" I have ever used and I would not be without one by choice.

OK, don't judge me here.

I have a wife, three boys, and a daughter-in-law. Between us we have 5 PC's, 2 Mac's, 4 Netbooks, 5 Notebooks, 4 iPhones, 2 Androids, 2 iPads, and 4 Kindles.

The Kindle is a device that is designed to do one thing, be a EBook. It has black type on an off white background. It will last on a battery charge for a good 5 or more days. It is simple.

After having tried all the others, including some that I do not personally own, but have borrowed to try out, the Kindle is by far best "book" I have ever used and I would not be without one by choice.

Kindle is all I have used and it worked fine. The kindle APP allows your books to be read through most any other device as well, including your android phone or your laptop.

All the reviews say the Kindle is the best. I use a Kindle reader on my Blackberry. It is amazing how easy it is to use and is quite readable even for old eyes. Download cost zero from Amazon.com. You can read first chapter of every single book they have before you purchase it.

I have a Kindle. I do 99% of my reading using the Kindle app on my iPhone. There is nothing better than having a library in your back pocket. I like long lines now. It gives me a chance to read.

The Kindle is used when I read outdoors in bright sunlight or when I get ebooks from some source other than Amazon. If you are a SciFi type check out the Baen Books web site.

It just works too well. I can read the same book on my iPhone, laptop or Kindle and they all keep track of the most advanced page read on all the devices.

Cheers,

BJT

My wife is a prolific reader with a basement full of books, so I bought her an Amazon Kindle for Christmas. She really enjoys the fact that she can read it most anywhere and it is not too heavy for her to hold (many books are quite thick and heavy). Some things about Kindle could be improved: The books you get don't include the photos; The chapters and pages aren't numbered, so it's hard to go back and re-read something; and you can't see any colored illustrations or photos that may have been included in the hardcopy book. The Kindle is monochromatic (black & white).

The Barnes & Noble Nook addresses a lot of the shortcomings of the Kindle: The pages are numbered just like the hardcopy book; The cover and all of the illustrations and photos are included and in color; You can also read magazines; If you have small children, the Nook has a "read it to me" feature that will read the book to them; And, you can also read your email (if that's something you want to be able to do). On the down side, the Nook is about $100.00 more than the equivalent Kindle.

Both the Kindle and the Nook hold more books than the average person will read over many, many years and you can carry them all around with you wherever you go. However, you can't just hand a copy of the book you read to a friend to read. In addition, there are some books, such as large-format "coffee table" books that don't lend themselves to the eBook format with a small screen. Both Kindle and Nook have included dictionaries for looking-up words as you go. Consumer Reports recommends both the Kindle and the Nook for those who want an eBook reader. Since eBooks are significantly cheaper than a hardcopy, the future will be increasingly in favor of eBooks for general reading and reference.

Happy trails, Squint

Sounds like none of you guys knows what a newspaper is either. Do you take your laptop into the throneroom with you in the morning? I've tried to read on my daughter's IPhone, even with my 20-25 it is TOO small. Can't see how you can stand in line and read on one of those things! I have to use a computer at school all day long, ANY type of screen is the last F...ing thing I want to see on my own time.

Good luck to all of you I Robots though!!!!! :lol:

My wife has a Nook, the original monochromatic version not the newer color version. It is less expensive than the color version and the "plain" ones can be read in sunlight or under bright indoor lighting. It is not backlit so if you want to read in bed you have to get a little booklight or read under a lamp just like with a "standard" book.

If you buy a lot of books you would save money and space by purchasing ebooks.

I am still getting used to it but I've read a couple of books on it and it's pretty easy to use.

Years ago I had a PDA that came with some sample books but I didn't want to read on anything that small. The Nook is about the right size for readability and portability. You can also change the size of the font.

I'm glad t hear that there are alternatives to Amazon.

The Nook and the B&N sound good to go. (well, I guess the Nook is B&N) lol

A recent kindle upgrade provides page numbers on some books on the iphone.

You can loan some books. See here

Cheers,

BJT

My wife is a prolific reader with a basement full of books, so I bought her an Amazon Kindle for Christmas. She really enjoys the fact that she can read it most anywhere and it is not too heavy for her to hold (many books are quite thick and heavy). Some things about Kindle could be improved: The books you get don't include the photos; The chapters and pages aren't numbered, so it's hard to go back and re-read something; and you can't see any colored illustrations or photos that may have been included in the hardcopy book. The Kindle is monochromatic (black & white).

The Barnes & Noble Nook addresses a lot of the shortcomings of the Kindle: The pages are numbered just like the hardcopy book; The cover and all of the illustrations and photos are included and in color; You can also read magazines; If you have small children, the Nook has a "read it to me" feature that will read the book to them; And, you can also read your email (if that's something you want to be able to do). On the down side, the Nook is about $100.00 more than the equivalent Kindle.

Both the Kindle and the Nook hold more books than the average person will read over many, many years and you can carry them all around with you wherever you go. However, you can't just hand a copy of the book you read to a friend to read. In addition, there are some books, such as large-format "coffee table" books that don't lend themselves to the eBook format with a small screen. Both Kindle and Nook have included dictionaries for looking-up words as you go. Consumer Reports recommends both the Kindle and the Nook for those who want an eBook reader. Since eBooks are significantly cheaper than a hardcopy, the future will be increasingly in favor of eBooks for general reading and reference.

Happy trails, Squint

Someone already mentioned that Kindle just released an upgrade to software that displays page numbers. Whoever wrote that the battery will last for five days must be leaving wifi switched on, with it switched off it will last for weeks. What I like is I can read the list of books and pick what I want to read and never leave the house and have it there in under a minute, patience has never been my strong suit. I also like books and have literally hundreds if not thousands but they are all boxed up since my last move. The Kindle saves everything I pick to archive and I can get it back. It also has adjustable sized type faces and the software upgrade included a better navigation system for magazines and pdf files. I've been happy with it. And Lois L'Amour is at least a buck cheaper than paperback form at Wally world....... ^_^ And it has all of them...... :)

Thanks, I appreciate the advise. By the way, I do still ready a real newspaper and getted pi**ed off when they don't come on time.

Now for the hard one, has anyone got a paperback copy of Barry Sadler's CASCA; PANZA SOLDIER. i read it when it first came out and want to read it again. A used copy priced reasonably is impossible to find. If you have one you will loan me, I would appreciate it.

Shenny

Archived