SASS Wire Forum

Who Has Our Heritage

Aunt Jen

Hello Folks,

Something someone said got me thinking:

A major aspect of SASS is our celebration of the U.S. Heritage, people who settled, the difficulties we endured, our growing pains through expansion, and our experiences with those native to these lands. To me, our heritage is also people who set off into the great unknown with just their wagon, a few supplies, each other, and great hopes of forging a future. Often they had to endure biting cold, drought, starvation, violent conflict with others, poverty and disease, but also got to see great plains---forever hills of sweeping grains flowing in the breeze---mountains, and wonders they couldn't have imagined.

They wore the clothes they wore because they were often cheap and functional, or all they could get or make.

They wore guns because they needed them for survival, for defense, for hunting to eat.

These things are of a particular sort, a big part of our heritage, the history of our nation.

So,

Whose heritage is it?

I know that people sometimes feel they aren't really connected to that heritage, that they're more bonded with the heritage of the land they came from. I can get into that, too, as our families are from England, Scotland, Ireland, etc., and I value that, too. We have kilted things, tartans...

But what if someone may feel even less connected because they recently immigrated, or if their family recently immigrated? How much of this heritage is theirs if they just moved here?

When I married Painless, he told me not to call his Uncle Heath "Your Uncle Heath" any more. He said he's my uncle, now, and he was right. Forever since, I just say "Uncle Heath," "our family," and reference, "I am family..." When you marry, in my view, you've become a real part of the family you joined.

If someone adopts a child: Is the child "really" yours? Is your heritage also now his heritage? Even if he was adopted when he was older? Of course. Yes. And if adopted, I'd hope the child would know for certain in his heart he is really a part of the family, and that his heritage is now that of the family he joined.

So, too, I feel, for people who immigrate or who move here from elsewhere.

I know a person may feel they don't want to forget where they come from and may always value that heritage as well---and I don't want this note here to be about immigration or what to do about it. But I hope that if people do immigrate that they realize all Americans came from somewhere, or their ancestors did, and that if they agree to be adopted by this country, they should feel free and be able to feel that our heritage is theirs, also. Now. That the War of Independence, the Civil War, the Alamo, young couples on the plains trying to survive, the westward expansion........all of it, is part of, now, their heritage as well, that they should feel free to be able to say, "This is how Our country has grown, what Our country experienced, how We made it through."

I think SASS can help serve this valuing of our national heritage.

Aunt Jen

Great thread topic.

I was adopted and don't know my biological family or their heritage. (I might not want to either LOL)

My family came here in the early 20th century from Germany where I was told that Grandpa fought against us in WWI. I didn't get to know my grandparents on my Dad's side as they died before I was born. My Mom's side lived until I was older and I didn't hear much about our heritage from beyond them. My Dad is 100% American Midwestern Farmer. Still farming hundreds of acres in Central Illinois.

That being said. I'm American. My significant other is American she came here from Vietnam when she was seven. The heritage that existed in America in the 19th century is OUR Heritage and frankly, if someone immigrates to America they should want to adopt it as their New Heritage also. No one ever gives up a heritage or way of life that they grew up with and that just adds to the great mixing pot of America today, while the past remains what it was.

Now, the hard part is separating the reality of the past with opinions, agendas, and Hollywood's portrayals.

I believe our heritage as Americans, particularly the "manifest destiny" of the western movement, is a heritage that can be shared by all. Unfortunately both Hollywod and popular history have focused on a very small percentage of the total population. Many Americans of African, Asian and Hispanic descent - as well as Caucasians - moved west and started new lives and new careers, form storekeeping to farming to ranching.

I think that if we, as cowboy shooters and lovers of the "cowboy way" make it a point to be all-inclusive with the understanding that many Americans don't know history, we can make a significant impact both on our society and, perhaps, how modern Americans percieve firearms. I have tried to do this whenever an opportunity presents itself and the response is usually overwhelming just because many don't know either their own history or American history.

Heritage: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from heriter to inherit, from Late Latin hereditare, from Latin hered-, heres heir — more at heir

First Known Use: 13th century

1. property that descends to an heir

2. a : something transmitted by or acquired from a predecessor : legacy, inheritance b : tradition

3. something possessed as a result of one's natural situation or birth : birthright

My father's family is from Oklahoma. My grandfather and great uncle owned a store frequented by the local Cherokee. I remember going to my great uncle's place and meeting a lot of Cherokee. Both my grandfather and great uncle spoke the language fluently. I have to find out about the family, but I am told that at least one of our relatives was a well known lawman in the Indian Territory. According to my aunt "Uncle Dewey" was known to keep the peace with his fists more than his gun. Years ago I went to Fr. Smith and saw a picture of a lawman from the time of Judge Parker that looked just like my father as a young man, funny ears and all. I am thinking the picture might be of some relative. I need to look into that heritage a little closer

My mother's family came from Western Kansas near Colby. They owned a lot of land right up to the dust bowl, when they lost most of what they had. My mother told lots of stories about growing up during the depression. She really didn't like being hungry, but she and her brothers and sisters were a lot of the time. Her father arrived in KS in the early 20th century to help build a church in Victoria. He met my grandmother there. She was the daughter of one of the guys in charge. He is the guy with all the land. He gave my grandfather and grandmother land as a wedding present. The family still lives in the area. Family legend is the family owned a quarry that made a lot of fence posts when barbed wire came in. They sure liked to build churches because they were involved in building at least 3 more after the big one in Victoria. After my great grandmother died, my great grandfather became a Catholic monk. I have his picture on my wall from before he went to the monastary. He looks more like an old time sea captain than a wheat farmer.

My aunt and uncle owned the land next to the Sand Creek Massacre site in Colorado. My cousins still own and work the ranch. A lot of my cousins are still in the cattle business. My uncle trailed cattle from horseback until shortly before his death.

The truth is as far as I know none of my mother's family ever engaged in any kind of violent activity. They were and are just too busy working their asses off to engage in any mischief. I suspect that is a pretty common experience. There is my western heritage. Pretty common stuff.

Who has our heritage?

The politicians and lawyers high jacked it many years ago.

It is up to the parents/elders/family to share our heritage.

SASS can be and is a parenting.

Archived