SASS Wire Forum

Negligent Discharge at Gun Show in Bloomington Ill.

Details Here http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=162786 and http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/article_ccf5806e-41df-11e0-a8c6-001cc4c03286.html Appears Mini 14 discharged as man put rifle back on table.Can't be too careful when examining supposedly unloaded firearms or for that matter any firearm. Adios Sgt. Jake

A LOT of questions come to mind here.

The obvious first - who is the idjit that put a gun out on display without checking the magazine and chamber?

Second, when the gun was handed to the patron, why was the action not opened and the chamber not checked?

Third, why did the patron not check the chamber?

Last, why was the patron putting back a gun with the action closed?

Why wasn't the gun locked to prevent the rifle from going into battery? At every gun show I have been to if the vendor removes the lock to allow you to operate the action, they always replace the lock immediately after.

One also has to wonder how did the live round get into the rifle...

Why wasn't the gun locked to prevent the rifle from going into battery? At every gun show I have been to if the vendor removes the lock to allow you to operate the action, they always replace the lock immediately after.

One also has to wonder how did the live round get into the rifle...

Ya think +1 :wacko:

Away back in 1970 I was wandering thru the Great Western Gun Show in Los Angeles on Atlantic Blvd. when an announcement came over the loudspeakers for all table vendors to check Rule # 4 (or some such number anyway). I asked at the table I was closest to and he said that was "Verify every gun action is empty". He said it was not uncommon for some people with a dislike for gun shows to try and insert live ammo into chambers when table vendors were distracted or otherwise engaged and not watching them. The idea was to try and cause an accidental discharge and bring unfavorable publicity to the show! Maybe the same thing occured there?

Kid Kneestone

Howdy,

Every gun is always loaded.

Treat em that way.

A few years back I took a 1022 out of my closet and checked the

chamber and out flew a live round. Now how the heck did that......

Best

CR

Yep, there was a lot of broken rules on this one.

The vendor should have checked the gun before letting anyone handle it. My dealer certainly wouldn't let anyone do that, they check each gun that I handle out of the case. You just never know who your dealing with when interacting with the general population.

Away back in 1970 I was wandering thru the Great Western Gun Show in Los Angeles on Atlantic Blvd. when an announcement came over the loudspeakers for all table vendors to check Rule # 4 (or some such number anyway). I asked at the table I was closest to and he said that was "Verify every gun action is empty". He said it was not uncommon for some people with a dislike for gun shows to try and insert live ammo into chambers when table vendors were distracted or otherwise engaged and not watching them. The idea was to try and cause an accidental discharge and bring unfavorable publicity to the show! Maybe the same thing occured there?

Kid Kneestone

Kid Kneestone Ah the Great Western gun show,back in the 80's when I lived out there they were held at the LA fairgrounds. If a fellow was to see it all it would take three days. I also remember Jim from River Junction would make the trip out,first time I made a purchase from him had to be like 84/85. Lived in many places and been to many a gun show but the GWGS has to be the biggest,thanks for jogging my memory. Adios Sgt. Jake

At the shows I have attended in the 3 state region, guns coming thru the door are checked and zip tied. Vendors firearms go either way, some vendors use locks, most do not. Some vendors check actions, most do not. Some customers check actions, most do not. There was a similar discharge at another gunshow a few years back when vendors were packing up at the end of the last day.

It is dang near impossible to handle a weapon at these shows that the muzzle is not pointed at someone at some point.

I had a shop owner (at his shop, not a show) hand me a 1934 Beretta years back, I dropped the mag, then racked the slide....out flew a round.

ALWAYS CHECK!

He said it was not uncommon for some people with a dislike for gun shows to try and insert live ammo into chambers when table vendors were distracted or otherwise engaged and not watching them. The idea was to try and cause an accidental discharge and bring unfavorable publicity to the show! Maybe the same thing occured there?

Kid Kneestone

Same thing can happen at your local gun store too.... an evil person putting in and leaving a cartidge into a firearm while the shop owner is distracted.

Every gun is zip-tied at the gunshows I visit.

They'll cut the ties and retie them if you need to work the action.

This.

I shared a table at a show recently and my table-mate demonstrated his wares routinely. He removed the zip-tie, did the demo, and immediately replaced it. He was quite consciencious. I saw multiple vendors do the same thing.

We also had officers periodically wander through "eyeballing" the action.

Somebody screwed up big-time, here. I hope they bear the burden of their error.

SQQ

Archived