SASS Wire Forum

suggestions needed- can't get buttstock off

Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428

I am trying to get a stock off a Remington 870 and am having a heckuva time. That dang screw was tightened by The Terminator and doesn't want to give. It is a slotted screw (wouldn;t be a problem if it was a hex bolt). I have a screwdriver that fits it correctly. Even with my brother holding the stock and me with the screwdriver, I can't get that screw to budge (neither of us are 100 pound weaklings, he's even bigger than me).

I know some pard has a solution that doesn't involve the hacksaw my brother suggested...

Thanks...

Have you "shocked" the screw by hitting the handle of the screwdriver a sharp blow?

+1

set the blade of one screwdriver in the slot and give the butt of the screwdriver a few raps with something else. You can even have your brother rap while you try turning. Great next step before an impact driver or a hack saw.

Just a thought:

I had a similar problem and used a long screwdriver that of course fit the slot. I then used an adjustable wrench and tightened it onto the square shaft of the screwdriver. This gave me enough torque to loosen it.

Good luck,

J.D. Lee

yup, I tried tapping the screwdriver with a mallet, and I tried whacking the screwdriver with a mallet. :blink: no luck.

I may try taking this to work and "borrowing" one of their cordless impact wrenches at lunch. But I would really rather find a solution here. All I need is some yahoo to go running thru the breakroom screaming that he saw me at my truck with a shotgun...Y'all wannna see me on the 6 o'clock news? I'd be the one in cuffs trying to explain that it is just the stock and reciever, all the guts and barrel are in a box on my workbench at home. Then they would taze me and drag me off. It would be a heckuva a scene but I would rather skip it if I can.

Another thought if you have a cordless drill with a clutch (they all do)

Chuck in a properly sized flat bit and set the clutch to 4 or 5. Hold it down hard in the screw so it doesn't slip and then let the clutch just chatter. This works for me with #3 Phillips screws in commercial hinges. You can up the clutch setting just don't set it so high it twists the bit out of the screw.

Sounds like you need a impact driver, they have them in 1/4" for screw bits

All for now JD Trampas

That's the best way to go. But, you will need one of the square drive, usually 1/2" so you can use a 1/2" extention then use square drive adaptors to get you the 1/4" hex for the screwdriver tip.

I had this special tool myself when I was doing gunsmithing several years ago (mainly shotgun work) http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=967/Product/SHOTGUN_BUTTSTOCK_BOLT_BITS It's not too expensive and it does the job. It's a sleeved bit on a 3/8 socket that you only need a 6" extension and a wrench for. In rough cases I would use a breaker bar and let me tell you, there was no 870 stock bolt that couldn't be loosened up with that combination! Just be careful reinstalling the stock, even with a ratchet as it is real easy to over tighten the stock bolt and months/years later be in the same boat. This is the way to go. Best of luck to you. Smithy.

Disassemble the action. Look at the rear of the receiver inside where the bolt goes. At the back you will see a hole, which is where the stock bolt stud screws into the receiver. Dribble your favorite penetrating oil into the hole around the stock bolt. Use proper fitting screwD blade with a square shaft OR, one you can get a crescent wrench on. Works better if you have something or someone holding the receiver. (Be careful if you use a vise, it crushes EASY without the trigger assy in it) The wrench will give you that extra twisting power.

Well, one of you has the right answer!! Listen to Smithy above! The right tool for the job....makes it childs play and no danger of a screwdriver slipping and breaking out the side of the stock!! I see many ruined 870 and 1100 stocks ruined by not using the proper tools to remove them. My alias is also my profession.

Gunstock Smith

When you are pounding on the end of the screwdriver, you are losing the majority of your "shock" into the screwdriver handle.

Find a piece of round stock that will fit into the well but sticks out far enough to pound on. Then give it a couple of good whacks with a ball peen hammer.

Afterwards you should be able to twist the screwdriver blade with the adjustable (-or- proper fitting) wrench on the flats of the screwdriver.

The "nut" is bottomed out on the stud , when you put it back together, you should shim up the "nut" with enough washers so that the stud doesn't bind into the well of the "nut".

Well, one of you has the right answer!! Listen to Smithy above! The right tool for the job....makes it childs play and no danger of a screwdriver slipping and breaking out the side of the stock!! I see many ruined 870 and 1100 stocks ruined by not using the proper tools to remove them. My alias is also my profession.

Gunstock Smith

He said it was NOT a hex head just slotted. That tool only works on hex heads.

Nate, the tool Smithy refered to IS NOT A HEX SOCKET..........it is like a drag link tool, except sized to perfectly fit the SLOTTED SCREW used to attach an 870 stock to the receiver. There is also one sized to fit the old style slotted "hat nut" on an 1100. I use both frequently. Live and learn.

Gunstock Smith

Nate, the tool Smithy refered to IS NOT A HEX SOCKET..........it is like a drag link tool, except sized to perfectly fit the SLOTTED SCREW used to attach an 870 stock to the receiver. There is also one sized to fit the old style slotted "hat nut" on an 1100. I use both frequently. Live and learn.

Gunstock Smith

Cool,

The Brownells picture doesn't show that and I hardly ever buy tools that are easily made so I don't have that item.

Archived