SASS Wire Forum

Cant wait to go to the range tomorrow

Iron Pony

Sat with LaBouche today and observed while he fit the 44Spec cylinders to my 44-40 Smokewagons. It's always educational to watch a master machinist do his thing. Have about 300 rounds of BP loaded with the Mav D ready to go and a trip to the range for testing is in order to see how they shoot. Going to try a couple different loads and will take along a box of 44-40 for comparison. Hope they shoot right.

Pony LaBouche is a artist I wouldn't worry so much about whether they work or not,what Id worry about is the weather,pun intended.If your weather next door has been anything like ours it will be Cold,Windy and plenty of Snow, snowing here now.

Good luck with your trip to the range,I'm sure them shooters will shoot just Dandy. Adios Sgt. Jake

Was the master machinist babbling while he was working? I can hear him now.

I was thinking of you today. I was down in the basement lubesizing zillions of bullets that I cast last fall. Love that Star sizer. Gotta catch up on my reloading.

Got out to the range for a one box session, both shoot great though I'm going to have to put them on paper to see what change in point of impact there is from the 44-40. Felt recoil is way down from the 44-40 though it should be when the load drops 8 to 10 grains so these should be way easier to control shooting gunfighter. It is distressing how fast my left hand went south as it were during the off season. I'm going to have to concentrate on it before we get rolling.

Jake you are right he is amazing to watch what he can do with a little lathe, drill press, hand tools and a lot of skill. With any luck I'll be back at his place monday night to do the tuneups on the 1871 C.Mason coversions, also in 44Spec. If I can shoot them like I do the 1860s they very well could turn out to be my main match guns.

Driftwood its nice to hear that someone is thinking about me, now get back to work at the LNL. Make sure you have enough ammo loaded so Mrs. Johnson can come out and improve the overall average on looks for our posse. If that star takes up too much room on your bench just let me know as I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Archived