SASS Wire Forum

Can't figure out what makes this 97 a deluxe model?

Awful Close

I think the seller may be confused in his terminology. To my knowledge, they never made a "Deluxe". Based on the picture, it looks like it could be a "Trap" model, which was a step up from the Standard grade except for the checkering and better grade of wood.

I don't know what his reserve is, but that shotgun has been listed for some time with no winners.

LR

It's a standard grade take-down with a replaced stock. The checkering almost looks pressed. A trap gun would have trap on the bolt and some fine checkering on the top of the receiver. I think they also had the black diamond inlay-ed in the stock at the wrist.

Pigeon grade was the highest and this not one of them.

Big Jake

Howdy Jake - took another hard look at the pix, and I believe you're correct about the checkering. Could well be a modern aftermarket stock. Also, didn't the better grades have checkered forearms instead of the corn cob?

The "checkering" on the wrist certainly looks pressed, Winchester never did that, never heard of a deluxe but the owner has, tried to examine the fit of the stock but couldnt enlarge clear enough.

I own 2 '97's, wood on both is v good, none is black walnut as in the picture, same on the foreend, one a 1898 solid, the other a 1949 TD, both made for smokeless powder, one chamber 2 5/8, the other 2 3/4.

Smokeless powder was invented in 1884.

Deluxe

Rare

Vintage

Hard to find

etc...

These are all words that mean that the dealer (seller) has it and you don't

Common

Standard

well used

worn

etc...

These are all words that mean that you have it and the dealer doesn't

Hey Buzzard, your descriptions are right on! :lol: Looking at the pics I can tell you for sure that the stock is an aftermarket reproduction. None of the Black Diamond guns had that type of checking. The rest of the 97 seems all original. Depending on the reserve it could/should be a good gun, made in about 1938, 30" full choke, E model, serial number in the 700,000 range - almost 800,000. I hate reserve auctions, waste too much time watching and waiting.

A "Deluxe 97" is one that works and makes it through a match without having a malfunction. They are rare, of the 6-7 in my safe I don't think I have a "Deluxe" model. Although, some of the malfunction problems are to do with shooter. :lol:

LL'

Did some looking around, and ran across this site that has original W97 stocks for sale => http://www.bedlans.com/stocks_&_forearms.htm#WINCHESTER%20PRE-1964%20MODEL%2012%20FOREARMS Scroll down towards the bottom.

Nice wood, good checkering, and prices to match.

Howdy Jake - took another hard look at the pix, and I believe you're correct about the checkering. Could well be a modern aftermarket stock. Also, didn't the better grades have checkered forearms instead of the corn cob?

Bingo!!! That stock was offered as an aftermarket replacement by Numrich Gun parts a few years ago. I have had at least two guns come through that had it. The checkering is pressed and I don't even think the wood is walnut. I believe it's Birch.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

The checkering is pressed and I don't even think the wood is walnut. I believe it's Birch.

WOW!!

Genuine Birch? Whoa momma! That's a step-up from the extremely rare and highly sought-after... hackberry... ain't it?

Shore hope I don't miss out on that gun auction!!

(Nate... ya got to look over me... I'm just a miserable failure as a bona-fide contributor... to most any thread I post on.)

ts

WOW!!

Genuine Birch? Whoa momma! That's a step-up from the extremely rare and highly sought-after... hackberry... ain't it?

Shore hope I don't miss out on that gun auction!!

(Nate... ya got to look over me... I'm just a miserable failure as a bona-fide contributor... to most any thread I post on.)

ts

Yea but with you enthusiasm and flair for the embelishment you would be really good at writing Auction descriptions :lol:

Archived