SASS Wire Forum

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)

The Original Bad Bob

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976): directed by Clint Eastwood, starring Clint Eastwood, Chief Dan George, Sondra Locke, Bill McKinney, John Vernon, Sam Bottoms.

This is one of two that are Eastwood's best westerns (the other is Pale Rider)and is his personal favorite. It's a portrayal of a man fueled by rage who ultimately gets his revenge on those who wronged him. Chief Dan George is also very good in this movie. Interesting trivia: The Chief had such a hard time remembering his lines that they had to do multiple takes of his scenes. It got to the point where Eastwood could be seen mouthing his lines, and so those scenes had to be cut.

Bill McKinney plays the evil "Red Legs" Union captain hunting Wales. You might recognize him as the perverted Mountain Man from Deliverance. He is great as the antagonist character. I truly hated him.

This movie has some of the greatest lines of all movie westerns in it.

Josey Wales: You have any food here?

Lone Watie: All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.

Josey Wales: When I get to likin' someone, they ain't around long.

Lone Watie: I notice when you get to DISlikin' someone they ain't around for long neither.

Lone Watie: We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.

Senator: The war's over. Our side won the war. Now we must busy ourselves winning the peace. And Fletcher, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.

Fletcher: There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

And there are a lot more.

I give this one 5 out of 5 figs.

I would like to shoot a match using some of those lines.

Howdy!

I did a match recently and used lines from that movie for every stage! (I was shooting for the first ever, frontiersman!) I told the timer I was making up my own lines (like I usually do!); he just grinned after each and hit the timer.

"You gona pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

"Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy"

As a man from Blue Springs, Missouri, a town not far from Josie's farm, who shoots with both the Rocky Branch Rangers from Higginsville, Mo and the Powder Creek Cowboys from Lenexa, KS, this is my favorite line.

Laura Lee: Kansas was all golden and smelled like sunshine.

Josey Wales: Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas, sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches

Just kidding boys, just kidding.

As a man from Blue Springs, Missouri, a town not far from Josie's farm, who shoots with both the Rocky Branch Rangers from Higginsville, Mo and the Powder Creek Cowboys from Lenexa, KS, this is my favorite line.

Laura Lee: Kansas was all golden and smelled like sunshine.

Josey Wales: Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas, sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches

Just kidding boys, just kidding.

Don't know if you were at the shoot that day Bart, but we used that exact line for one of the stages.

Did anyone ever notice the teepee's in the Indian Camp, they were made of canvas. I noticed this after watching the movie several dozen times through the years.

LL'

Captain Terrel: "Not a hard man to track. Leaves dead men wherever he goes."

Granny Hawkins: "I say that big talk's worth doodly-squat."

Josey: "I suppose that mangy red-bone hound's got no place else to go either. [spits tobacco juice on dog's head] He might as well ride along with us. Hell, everybody else is."

Chief Dan George: "Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast."

Josey: Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is.

Lone Watie: I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Lone Watie: It's not right; this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales: More like old habits rather than old age.

....and one of my most favorite banters:

Carpetbagger: Your young friend could use some help. [holds up a bottle of patent medicine]

Carpetbagger: This is it... one dollar a bottle. It works wonders on wounds.

Josey Wales: Works wonders on just about everything, eh?

Carpetbagger: It can do most anything.

Josey Wales: [spits tobacco juice on the carpetbagger's coat] How is it with stains?

Thats one of my all time favorite movies. I have seen it at least 20 times and will again. I saw it for the first time when it first came out back in the 70's with my dad. I use lines out of that movie alot when cowboy shooting and there is no starting line. Another good one out of the movie I haven't seen yet is ( That's what we call a Massura Boat Ride). I have shot Jossie Wales class at our Indiana-Michigan Black powder shoot and I loved it. It's a real challenge to put up your rifle and shoot 4 pistols and a hammered double but it sure is great fun. It's also a great work out carrying around four pistols straped to your body all day long. I wish I could shoot it more often.

I've shot stages where we were all handed a piece of licorice to chew at the loading table and then had to spit it into the spittoon before saying the line. Another stage started with the shooter holding 3 sandbags to simulate an arm load of dry goods before he shot up the bounty hunters in the trading post.

Now spit

RANGER DODO

Obviously my ALLTIme Fav(Look at my Signature) But the best LInes are the dialogue between Josey and Ten Bears. Gives me goose bumps every time.

Josey: You be Ten Bears?

Ten Bears: I am Ten Bears.

Josey: I'm Josey Wales.

Ten Bears: I have heard. You're the Gray Rider. You would not make peace with the Blue Coats. You may go in peace.

Josey: I reckon not. Got nowhere to go.

Ten Bears: Then you will die.

Josey: I came here to die with you. Or live with you. Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's living that's hard; when all you ever cared about has been butchered or raped. Governments don't live together, people live together. With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight. Well I've come here to give you either one, or get either one from you. I came here like this so you'll know my word of death is true. And that my word of life is then true. The bear lives here, the wolf, the antelope, the Comanche. And so will we. Now, we'll only hunt what we need to live on, same as the Comanche does. And every spring when the grass turns green and the Comanche moves north, he can rest here in peace, butcher some of our cattle and jerk beef for the journey. The sign of the Comanche, that will be on our lodge. That's my word of life.

Ten Bears: And your word of death?

Josey: It's here in my pistols, there in your rifles. I'm here for either one.

Ten Bears: These things you say we will have, we already have.

Josey: That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra. I'm just giving you life and you're giving me life. And I'm saying that men can live together without butchering one another.

Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double-tongues. There is iron in your word of death for all Comanche to see. And so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron, it must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. So shall it be.

AWESOME!!!!! Tell me that line about Govt' is not one of the most profound statements in Movies or Anywhere

Anyone else notice that when the Indians are mounting up to ride for that scene that they were ALL wearing pantihose??

Took me a couple times watching the movie before noticing that, but sure made me laugh when I did!!!

Love the movie.

Greeenriver

Josey Wales trivia: How many pistols did Josey have with him when he rode out to the last shootout? Holsters, belt, shoulder, pommel and saddlebags.?

The O'Meara himself

I know he had his two Dragoons, an 1860 in his belt, and that .31 in the sholder rig.

Archived