SASS Wire Forum

My first Colt

Oddnews SASS# 24779

I realize this probably isn't a big deal to many people, but I just bought my first real Colt SAA, as opposed to the various replicas I've owned.

Here she is: http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm281/Oddnews/P1000020.jpg

It's a BP frame, 5 1/2 inch barrel. I intend to do some very detailed photos and measurements to compare it to my nearly identical USFA. At first glance, the only difference is the Colt's bluing is a little darker and deeper, somewhat more "modern" looking but not in a bad way.

This Colt was made in 1993. If Colt was still, at that time, having the quality control problem it's been criticized for having, it's not readily obvious on this revolver. It's timed perfectly. It's polishing and bluing are detailed and its surfaceds are square and have good edges, and the hard-rubber grips fit the frame tightly.

This is an unfired revolver, and I realize there's a school of thought that says I should leave it unfired and unturned. I didn't go to that school.

Shoot it by all means. I bought my first one in 1991, have put thousands of BP rounds through it and it still looks good as the day I bought it, better in fact cause replaced the walnut grips with ivory. The action on my was a little rough and very still but that was eaisly taken care of.

Enjoy your new colts.

That's a good looking six shooter there Oddnews. Im sure it will go well with you USFA.

BTW, I didnt go to that school either.

I bought my first Colt last summer. It was a Peacemaker Buntline .22 cal. 7.5" barrel new/unturned (1979ish I was told). It took me all of about a day to cut that zip tie off and take it and my Winchester 94 .22 to the range.

Enjoy your Colt SAA.

Hi, I managed to get a pair before my $$$ condition changed. I shoot mine with black powder so they get used. Anyway, enjoy your Colts, they were made to be used.

In as far as quality goes, the reputation and price of a Colt demands perfection. I have two NIB P1950 modeels that are 44-40 5 1/2 in bbl with deep blue and case hardened. There was some blemishes on the bluing on one and the cylinder base pin needed to be shortened on the other. No biggie as I had access to a tool that could take metal off 0.0001 inches at a time so its perfect now.

Howdy

Of course it's a big deal. Any time somebody buys a Colt, that is a big deal. And of course you should shoot it, I shoot mine. Just curious, does yours have the removable cylinder bushing, or is it the pressed in type?

Can't believe someone would buy a COLT and not shoot it! That's what she was made for, Even stranger that you took the time to type a post! I would have had a Box of rounds through it in the time it took me to type this :rolleyes: She sure is purdy! I am envious have fun shoot her NOW!!!

Rafe :FlagAm:

I bought my first Colt in 1983. I bought my first SAA Colts (pair) in 2010. I wish I hadn't waited so long :angry:

I intend to buy my second set of matched Colt SAAs in 2011. This time in .44/40. :)

They all will be shot. If they were one of a kinds, or of historical significance, I might consider not shooting them. Otherwise, they were made to shoot. :)

I realize this probably isn't a big deal to many people, but I just bought my first real Colt SAA, as opposed to the various replicas I've owned.

<SNIP>

This is an unfired revolver, and I realize there's a school of thought that says I should leave it unfired and unturned. I didn't go to that school.

Congratulations - they're fun and they're the real deal . . of course you should shoot it!

BTW - that's not a 'school' of thought - it's just a small cult . . . ignore them!

Shadow Catcher

Collecting Colts is an obsession. Boys, I think we need to do an intervention. I'll take possession of the Colt while we set up a Prayer Party for his soul! :D

My third SAA is coming in a few days. This one, once I have TeePee Creeper makes some grips, will match my other .45.

Actually, hoarding may be a better term? I don't remember my first.Was it a custom Commander I bought at King's Gunworks in SoCal or

was it a Colt .357 (pre-Trooper)I got from my brother? Or the vestpocket I bought after a hiatus. Anyway, the clans has grown to about 20, now.

There is something besides the quality. There is a mystique, especially with some of the older ones. My 1917 New Service was G.I. issued in 1918.

Where was it used? Overseas? In the trenches? Questions that will never be answered but, after a couple of mezcals and a good fire, are a lot

of fun to contemplate.

Howdy

Of course it's a big deal. Any time somebody buys a Colt, that is a big deal. And of course you should shoot it, I shoot mine. Just curious, does yours have the removable cylinder bushing, or is it the pressed in type?

Driftwood. I was pleased to discover it's the removable bushing -- I understand that improves function with BP, and I may shoot some BP loads in this revolver.

my first Colt was made in 1916 and I carried it and shot it for years. Now I have an early 3rd generation Colt and I shoot if and carry it. By all means shoot it!! I never went to that school either. There is nothing like a Colt!

Tascosa

Way to go Pard. NICE COLT!!!

Roy

An old friend of mine who passed on a couple of yrs ago had at one time, around 250 Colts in his collection, over half were SAA the rest were double action 92's. All except 3 of the SAA were 1st gens ca.1875-1910. Some very rare and scarce models (factory engraved,nickeled and engraved, one of which Colt only made 8 copys, I think ws a B\P frame Bisley in 44 Russian, .455 with British proofs etc.).

Man it was almost a religous experience to visit with him in his gun room. All just hung from nails or coat hangers,or whatever was handy when he needed a spot. He had a lot of them lettered from Colt and you could pick just about any one of them off the wall and he could tell you the ser# range,cal. and some of it's history from memory. And without exception he shot them all of them regardless of value untill illness wouldn't allow him to continue.

He did sell some before he died but most were still there at his passing and I was fortunate to be given an opportunity to pick from the estate after his sons made thier choises. I would have liked to have bought one of the earlier SAA but he also had 2 45-90"s that I wanted (one a 1885 hi-wall with #4 heavy barrel and original vernier sight and a 2nd yr production Marlin 1895 with original lyman sight) so I settled for an excellent condition ca. 1895 SAA in .41 lc.

While Colt was his main interest he also had old west guns of every description. I have only ever been in one gun room that was better than his and that is the Cody museum.

Damn! I want 50 of them!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did pick up a really nice 1877 Colt, sheriff's model from a desperate guy for $400.00. Love it, but it needs at least 49 more brothers!

Major Payne :FlagAm:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

It is a big deal, Pard... congrats...

You now own... THE Arm of Law and Order.

ts

Nice lookin gun. First Colts are sorta like yer first kiss...something to remember.

Here is my first one:

First Colt

I got it when I retired from the State of California about 2 years ago. Sixgun Shorty gave me a good deal on it. and it is a shooter for me too...

It looks just like one I used to "visit" at the Grant Boys shop in OC in the late '60s. That one cost about $125.00 Which was about what I waz payin for rent. This one cost just about what my house payment is...

good shootin

curley

Nice lookin gun. First Colts are sorta like yer first kiss...something to remember.

Here is my first one:

First Colt

I got it when I retired from the State of California about 2 years ago. Sixgun Shorty gave me a good deal on it. and it is a shooter for me too...

It looks just like one I used to "visit" at the Grant Boys shop in OC in the late '60s. That one cost about $125.00 Which was about what I waz payin for rent. This one cost just about what my house payment is...

good shootin

curley

Hey, if that had the BP frame I'd be trying to trade you out of it <grin>

It's a BP frame, 5 1/2 inch barrel. I intend to do some very detailed photos and measurements to compare it to my nearly identical USFA. At first glance, the only difference is the Colt's bluing is a little darker and deeper, somewhat more "modern" looking but not in a bad way.

This Colt was made in 1993. If Colt was still, at that time, having the quality control problem it's been criticized for having, it's not readily obvious on this revolver. It's timed perfectly. It's polishing and bluing are detailed and its surfaceds are square and have good edges, and the hard-rubber grips fit the frame tightly.

Nice!!!!

Chili Pepper kid

Driftwood. I was pleased to discover it's the removable bushing -- I understand that improves function with BP, and I may shoot some BP loads in this revolver.

Howdy Again

A lot of folks think that, but I have not found it to be true. I have two 2nd Gen Colts. With one the bushing slides out like it is supposed to. The other one, the bushing is frozen solid in place. I gave up a long time ago trying to dislodge it. In truth, they both shoot Black Powder just as well as each other. In fact, my Rugers, which do not have a removable bushing, also shoot Black Powder just fine, and keep right on rolling.

Colt made a concession to the perception that a removable bushing makes the gun better, but in fact, as long as you keep the cylinder pin well lubricated with a good BP compatible oil, and use plenty of BP lube on your bullets, a removable bushing does not make much difference.

I got my first Colt just a couple of weeks ago.It's in 357 mag.5.5 ,nickel.I caled the factory on this one,they told me i would have to order from my dealer.So ya, i called him. He said that could be a long wait!But he put a search out for one on a friday, he called me the next monday, said he found one in Min.They shiped it out and it came in thursday, i got it that same day.It's a beauty, brand new in the box, now in my safe.Hope to shoot it soon now, if this white stuff ever goes away.I do have a question for you pards,do you shoot your new colts right out of the box, or do you hand it over to your Smith first so he can work his magic on it.You know, like new Wolf springs for one ???Thanks all, enjoy your Colts.

I got my first Colt just a couple of weeks ago.It's in 357 mag.5.5 ,nickel.I caled the factory on this one,they told me i would have to order from my dealer.So ya, i called him. He said that could be a long wait!But he put a search out for one on a friday, he called me the next monday, said he found one in Min.They shiped it out and it came in thursday, i got it that same day.It's a beauty, brand new in the box, now in my safe.Hope to shoot it soon now, if this white stuff ever goes away.I do have a question for you pards,do you shoot your new colts right out of the box, or do you hand it over to your Smith first so he can work his magic on it.You know, like new Wolf springs for one ???Thanks all, enjoy your Colts.

Shoot it first. It may be just fine as is. Do you really want to wait to shoot it while it is away with a smith?

Frankly, if all it needs is springs, you can do that yourself, no need to send it to a smith. Shoot it first, see how you like it fresh out of the box.

Congratulations. I agree it is a BIG deal. I am jealous. I got my first Colt in 1969. It is a Model 1911 made in 1914..My first Model P I got in 1970 It was made in 1906. I believe that regardless of what anyone says Colts are made to shoot. I trust you will really enjoy your new pistol for many years to come.

Congrats on the new piece, a Colt!

I'm with the shoot it crowd. B) What self-respecting cowboy could resist the urge to fire his new piece? Its what gives a gun character.

I'm taking my new USFA to the range on Monday, see ya there!

Shoot it first. It may be just fine as is. Do you really want to wait to shoot it while it is away with a smith?

Frankly, if all it needs is springs, you can do that yourself, no need to send it to a smith. Shoot it first, see how you like it fresh out of the box.

Thanks Driftwood, i was wishing you would chime in for that.I've always felt that you were one pard who knew his way around guns.I'll shoot it first.Thanks again.

I bought my 1st Colt in 1978 and shot the dickens out of that 1911. Since then they have seemed to germinate in the big metal box and recently while at the NFR in Vegas the darned things just followed me home! Shoot em, use em and enjoy some good ol American made guns!

My 1st Colt Single Action I shot. Maybe the 2nd. But everyone I have has since had action work.

The difference can be like night and day.

Archived