SASS Wire Forum

My New USFA SAA

Lone Dog, SASS #20401

Back last summer USFA sent out an e-mail special for a 357 SAA with a free 9mm cylinder. Being a big fan of convertibles I called me ole podner Long Hunter and ordered one. Jim told me not to expect it any time soon. He also advised that the e-mail had been sent in error. USFA had never chambered the SAA or Rodeo in 357 and didn't mean to now but the owner decided to go ahead and do it. Jim says he had several pards order one.

Well it came last week and it is purdier'n ary speckled pup or spring calf ever was. The CCH is stunning. Not being a collector I took it out to a CAS shoot last Saturday and man that Long Hunter action job never ceases to bring a grin. Haven't found any misses in it yet.

Already had a Long Hunter USFA 45 Colt/45 ACP SAA so I sure can shoot a bunch of different cartridges out of just 2 guns.

At just over a grand it has to rank as one of the best bargains I ever got. With the USFA price increase I figger more like 15 hundred nowadays, that is if they will even still chamber one in 357 or 9mm anymore.

You do not own a USFA "SAA". Neither does anybody else, as that is a Colt trademark.

You own an SA that is a very close clone of the Colt SAA, and if it's like most USFA models is actually a closer match to the pre-WW2-era Colts than an actual recent-production Colt.

USFA makes a very good gun. But they don't make an SAA.

You do not own a USFA "SAA". Neither does anybody else, as that is a Colt trademark.

You own an SA that is a very close clone of the Colt SAA, and if it's like most USFA models is actually a closer match to the pre-WW2-era Colts than an actual recent-production Colt.

USFA makes a very good gun. But they don't make an SAA.

Does it really matter... :)

Well, I was thinkin' that's what USFA calls it, to denote the CCH model as opposed to the cheaper and less-well-finished Rodeo.

Take it up with them. I will probably never own a Colt but I intend to acquire a few more USFAs as that is my preference.

Well, I was thinkin' that's what USFA calls it, to denote the CCH model as opposed to the cheaper and less-well-finished Rodeo.

Take it up with them. I will probably never own a Colt but I intend to acquire a few more USFAs as that is my preference.

USFA calls their best guns the "Single Action" but you will NOT see them call any gun they make a "Single Action Army" or "SAA". Colt will be all over 'em if they do.

Well, sir I do stand corrected. Thank you for clueing me in. I just went to the USFA web-site and sure enuff they call it the Single Action Revolver. Ain't it funny how what you think you know sometimes just ain't so?

Anyhoo, it's purdy and shoots straight but I won't be callin' it a SAA anymore.

Congrats on the .357/9mm!

I just picked up my USFA .45LC/.45 ACP yesterday and I can't wait to get it to the range. The quality of these guns is just amazing!

• 4 weeks later...

What ever USFA calls it's guns, one thing for sure is this; it's a far more superior gun then the current Colt. I have three sets of USFA and love shooting them. I find it easier to slick up a Rodeo, then to take a Colt and slick it up (value lost) in my opinion. I keep my Colts on the shelf for their value. I was told by a gun dealer that USFA hasn't made a gun since December 2010 and there is hardly anyone at the plant. The owner supposedly makes his real money off of making high end medical equipment and the gun making is secondary. I haven't verified this, but my source is highly reliable.

Hud MCoy

What ever USFA calls it's guns, one thing for sure is this; it's a far more superior gun then the current Colt. I have three sets of USFA and love shooting them. I find it easier to slick up a Rodeo, then to take a Colt and slick it up (value lost) in my opinion. I keep my Colts on the shelf for their value. I was told by a gun dealer that USFA hasn't made a gun since December 2010 and there is hardly anyone at the plant. The owner supposedly makes his real money off of making high end medical equipment and the gun making is secondary. I haven't verified this, but my source is highly reliable.

Hud MCoy

I believe you when you say there is hardly anyone at the plant. Every time I call to check on my gun the Guy is out of the office. I'm on my 9th month waiting for a gun that was supposed to take 4.

I believe you when you say there is hardly anyone at the plant. Every time I call to check on my gun the Guy is out of the office. I'm on my 9th month waiting for a gun that was supposed to take 4.

Yeah it is very sad that things take a turn this way. The next gun I highly recommend is the Pietta SA. I have two pair of them and they are work horses as well as the Rodeos. The Rodeos and Pietta Great Westerns are great single actions. I love Uberti rifles and the outstanding work that Cody Conagher puts into them to make them race ready. But as far as Uberti SA go, they don't hold up to the above mentioned guns. I don't care if he ya put a shooters name in front of them or call them the cats meow, in the end they are still Uberti SA guns. Just my two cents worth.

Hud McCoy

Guest Texas Jack Black

I heard sales were down and prices were too high for a gun that does not hold its value.

Yet those inferior Colts keep going up and up . Please send all unwanted Colt SAA guns my way. ;)

T J B

I heard sales were down and prices were too high for a gun that does not hold its value.

Yet those inferior Colts keep going up and up . Please send all unwanted Colt SAA guns my way. ;)

T J B

Colts coming your way. How many do you want exactly? Yeah I personnally think the USFA guns are priced a little on the high side and they don't retain there value like the Colt. But pound for pound it's one helluva gun. They even backed off of their 1911's. Someone told me that the 1911 they produced was built and fitted perfectly. I don't own Rugers anymore, but for this sport they are probably the true work horse. My hands just don't feel good around a Ruger.

HUd McCoy

Guest Texas Jack Black

I think that the USFA is a great gun But ,if you take it to the range shoot it, carry it in a holster for a while or give it the SASS treatment ,dust dirt etc. then do the same with the Colt I do think that the Colt will hold its value.IMHO.Also the Colts of today are fit and finished very well.

T J B

Hud MCoy

It's bad when a gun maker's first love or producer of cash is not in the production of firearms. It is then that the firearms production gets put on the back burner while their "more important" business is tended to instead. I have "made" several one of a kind firearms, my latest being a 45 LC Ruger Old Army Shopkeepers Special http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/5kwkdw3/Ruger%20Old%20Army%20Shopkeepers%20Special/?action=view&current=ONE-1.jpg While I did the entire design and a good part of the hand work, I do not own a lathe nor a mill or a welder so I farm that work out to a machinist friend of mine that runs ELCO machine shop in San Luis Obispo, CA. He is NOT a gunsmith so I do not leave work with him but rather stay with the work telling him what it is I desire him to do to the piece. Ie. I removed the barrel and cut it and took the piece to him to have him turn it on the lathe and crown the barrel. I later reinstalled the barrel back on the frame and that is how most of the work was done on the Old Army. But his first priority is to the companies that are ordering 5000 to 10,000 screw parts to some mechanism they are making and therefore paying out a lot of money. Not the paltry sums I am scraping together for my simple one off jobs for my shooter projects. I therefore take the back burner to the "more important" big money machine projects of the machine shop so I quite often have to wait quite awhile for my turn to come up. Smithy.

It's bad when a gun maker's first love or producer of cash is not in the production of firearms. It is then that the firearms production gets put on the back burner while their "more important" business is tended to instead. I have "made" several one of a kind firearms, my latest being a 45 LC Ruger Old Army Shopkeepers Special http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/5kwkdw3/Ruger%20Old%20Army%20Shopkeepers%20Special/?action=view&current=ONE-1.jpg While I did the entire design and a good part of the hand work, I do not own a lathe nor a mill or a welder so I farm that work out to a machinist friend of mine that runs ELCO machine shop in San Luis Obispo, CA. He is NOT a gunsmith so I do not leave work with him but rather stay with the work telling him what it is I desire him to do to the piece. Ie. I removed the barrel and cut it and took the piece to him to have him turn it on the lathe and crown the barrel. I later reinstalled the barrel back on the frame and that is how most of the work was done on the Old Army. But his first priority is to the companies that are ordering 5000 to 10,000 screw parts to some mechanism they are making and therefore paying out a lot of money. Not the paltry sums I am scraping together for my simple one off jobs for my shooter projects. I therefore take the back burner to the "more important" big money machine projects of the machine shop so I quite often have to wait quite awhile for my turn to come up. Smithy.

Really nice job on the Ruger Old Army!

Just tried calling USFA. They wont answer the phones just get machines. Second day in a row.

Update; Called again and they answered!!! My Gun was sent to Long Hunter yesterday and should be there by Thursday!!!

MMJ, How long ago did you place your order for a USFA? I placed an order thru Longhunter in early January.Figure that I will still have a bit of a wait yet. Thanks a lot. Flatbush

Begining of September. Remember this has nothing to do with Long Hunter this is all USFA and slow production.

Thanks for the tip. Good to know sort of the time frame since I still need to rattle the piggy bank around to pay for em when they DO arrive. Actually, glad they may not sneak up on me too soon then. Meanwhile, I would bet something else will catch my eye till the Rodeo II's pull into town.

I have purchased two sets of USFA's from Long Hunter (JIM Finch) and both orders took longer than quoted. This is not Jim's fault. The owner of USFA is a silver spoon millionaire. Don Donnelly has did all shooters a big favor by buying the old Colt Plant and making this gun. The problem is that he forgets what got him fame and continues to be side tracked by other some times weird projects. Any one who is a fan will remember when they offered the SA in different colors. Or made a short run of the Lighting rifles. Lone Dog for your further education of USFA revolvers; the Rodeo is not cheaper made in any way. It and the Premium are the very same gun including all parts. The difference in price is that Doug Turnbull does all the case hardening for USFA and that involves them shipping him the guns and waiting for him to do his thing before receiving them back. Another reason the guns take time to receive even though they are beautiful. The USFA is so much better than any revolver being made. You have your Ruger fans who will put down on them all the time. They may shoot Rugers but let them hold and shoot a USFA. Doug has now directed his staff into making the 45 Colt 410 revolver to compete with the Taurus. Not a chance as the Taurus pays South American wages in Brazil. Why he does not put time into the making of his bread and butter guns is a mystery. We have three pards that have waited for several months to receive guns. You may buy a Colt on any day of the week that the funds are available. There are gunsmiths that have used USFA parts to repair Colts. The Rodeo was offered when they first became available in all the cowboy cartridges. Then Doug thought that he was losing sales of the fancy Premium models and cancelled all other calibers except the 38spl and 45 Colt. I asked Jim Finch for months to ask Doug to make me some Rodeo's in 44-40 and the answer was always no. Finally one day Jim called and asked if I still wanted the 44-40 Rodeo's and I said yes indeed. Jim advised me that Don had told him that he would do it for an extra up-charge of $100 per gun and I agreed. About three months later my guns arrived. The first thing I did was to take some EEZOX and Kroil oil and 0000 steel wool and gave the guns what I say is a really used looking pair of guns look. Much better than the flat Black factory finish. The pards that are waiting want the finish on the guns coming in. The guns are now a catalog item at Long Hunters and the only person to purchase a set of these fine revolvers from. Later David

You keep typing Don when I know you meant Doug as you used Doug also. Folks, it is Doug, I do believe.

For your furthur edification, USFA never offered the SA in colors. The colored guns are an entirely new gun with a beefed up frame and (so far) only chambered in 357 with adjustable rear sights. All the colors but black have fallen by the wayside I think. I believe they call it the Shooting Master. Same gun in 327 mag 8 shot I think they call the Sparrowhawk.

For the record: you will not hear this Ruger fan disrespect USFAs, Rodeo or otherwise. They will usually out-shoot a Ruger by at least a little and are otherwise superb guns as long as you want a traditional action and five-up-carry. For those of us who enjoy modifying our guns and/or carrying them outside of SASS, the Rugers are tough to beat :). But USFA is to be respected for offering their high-dollar guns with a budget paint job option in the Rodeo.

Archived