SASS Wire Forum

Attracting new (younger) shooters into the game?

J.D. Lee

Looking at some of the posts in this thread, I notice that CO$T comes up frequently. A younger friend told me once that he would love to shoot, but he'd have to get a divorce first...his wife would NOT allow another hobby. He mentioned that what I spent for guns was not that much more than a good set of golf clubs and my reloading cost for a match was cheaper than greens fees around here.

Kinda put a different perspective on recreational spending for me.

And a lot less frustration than trying to hit those damn golf eggs straight.

ps friend was only about 25 at the time.."out of the mouth of babes....."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's us older shooters who are paying the costs, and if you as the match director "don't really care about pleasing our older shooters" you won't have a match to direct. Face it, it's a game, when I get too old to play, I'll hang up my guns and go do something else, then I'll die. I'm not going to loose any sleep worrying about recruiting younger shooters. We've all seen how to do it, allow firearms that aren't legal now, do away with the 4 gun stages, do away with "costumes". Just do away with the things that makes CAS what it is today. As for my "crappy attitude" I'm expressing my opinion, or do you insist I toe the PC "party line"?

I don't mean to be disrespectful but I am one of the new younger shooters. I just turned 18 a couple of months ago. When I chose to join the game last year I knew what the rules were and did not expect anything to be changed for me. I appreciate Slick and all of the members of the Jackson Hole Regulators for welcoming me into the club and having a good attitude towards younger shooters.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but I am one of the new younger shooters. I just turned 18 a couple of months ago. When I chose to join the game last year I knew what the rules were and did not expect anything to be changed for me. I appreciate Slick and all of the members of the Jackson Hole Regulators for welcoming me into the club and having a good attitude towards younger shooters.

You are with a good club there at Jackson Hole.

They care, and will treat, and teach you right.

Hi Will,

I'm with ya on likeing low recoil. Overdoing can lead to arthritis and "he" is not our friend. ;)

About the hostage thingy. I've seen that type of target many times. The usual scoring method is to call hitting the hostage a Procedural and add 10 points to the score. I think you forgot, lower score wins with us. :unsure:

I thouroughly agree props really add to the ambiance of our sport.

Happy Trails,

Allie Mo

I just figured as a younger participant I would mention what I like about it. I have only shot at two clubs for just over a year and a half. Of the two of them I think only one has a cowboy shaped silhouette that I remember shooting at. At that they don't use it very much. I just prefer this sport because most of the targets are circles.

To some of the other comments posted: I don't think that complaining about the high price of entry means that people want to change rules for SASS. I knew what I had to get and got it. The local club that I have shot at the most is very inclusive and I appreciate that.

My interpretation of Bad Hand's comment is that it is the young shooters that need to be the ones concerned about finding other young shooters. Otherwise they wont have anyone to shoot with.

Well to tell the truth, I DO care about attracting younger folks to SASS!!!

I'm only a few years into my 60s, but after 45 years in construction, many body parts are giving up left and right!!!!

As I look around to our monthlies and annual shoots, guess who's doing a large part of the work.

Bad Hombre

round here

its us

old broken down fellers

I a 56 year old ex-construction dude with worn parts

Guest Texas Jack Black

I would think that SASS would want to attract shooters of all ages but, I would focus on those that could relate to the game .The younger shooter for the most part have no interest in the old westerns etc.Focus on keeping the shooters we have and move to recruit more cowboy era buffs.There are still millions of old western movie lovers,Attract those that played cowboys and Indians as kids and watched the cowboy movies on Sat. mornings.

T J B

I'm not sure I agree with the assumption that you must be an afficinado of old western movies to have an interest in Cowboy Action Shooting. I spell that term out (as opposed to using "CAS") because of this -- Cowboy is only one part of the equation. There's also "action" and "shooting."

In the case of my 13 y/o, it's all about the shooting. She could care less about the outfits. In fact, I bought her a "really cute" (Mom's quote) split skirt and old west blouse for her to wear. In her words, "I hope nobody from school sees me in these." :rolleyes:

She does it (and likes it) because she gets to shoot "real guns." Yes, she's fairly recoil averse, but that doesn't stop her from having a big ole grin on her face when she shoots a stage clean.

Also, I don't want to make the leap in my own mind that what attracts my kid will work in attracting other young shooters. Mine just likes the idea of shooting real guns and gets a kick out of that.

Information, IMHO, is always the key to promoting anything....and de-bunking the myths or untruths. The one I hear the most is "It's too expensive." Is this sport expensive? Yeah, compared to tiddly-winks or horseshoes. Not so (in fact, it's darn cheap) if we're talking about polo or throughbred racing. I've played golf (which was mentioned in an earlier post) and find them to be pretty equal in "expensiveness" (and addictiveness ;) ).

I recently had a conversation with another adult and the fact that my 13 y/o and I shoot CAS came up.

"You mean you let her shoot REAL guns?," he asked.

"Sure....and she's pretty good at it too. And there's tons of safety, etc. in place. You mean you wouldn't let your kiddo try that?"

"I don't know....I guess I've never even considered it."

If we "get the word out" (and that means the real, true, no bs, word) then there'll be a bunch of potential shooters who can "consider it".....whether they be 13, 65 or anywhere in between. Can we (or should we? :huh: ) be THE club/sport for everyone? I don't think we can be, but we could have more than we have now. It just takes time to "get the word out."

How many kids played baseball in 1860? :rolleyes:

round here

its us

old broken down fellers

I a 56 year old ex-construction dude with worn parts

Well MM Ya need ta call on that "Old age and Treachery"thing and trick some of them young fellers into snatching up the work.

Were really lucky around here to have them youngsters what knows what work is!!!!!

BH :D

PS: Maybe SASS should make A video game..at least lay a foundation for the next generation!!

Well MM Ya need ta call on that "Old age and Treachery"thing and trick some of them young fellers into snatching up the work.

Were really lucky around here to have them youngsters what knows what work is!!!!!

BH :D

PS: Maybe SASS should make A video game..at least lay a foundation for the next generation!!

I envy you guys

we dont have young shooters

not even slackers

Information is indeed the key to bringing more members to our sport. I mean, I get around, and you would be AMAZED at the number of people who have never even heard of cowboy action shooting. And a quick visit to The High Road thread will turn up many many misconceptions about our sport (thank you Grizzly Dave and others who labored to correct those misconceptions!).

SASS needs to market, period. I've said that before on the Wire and I've said it in meetings with the Wild Bunch. Unfortunately, that costs money. SASS was very lucky in its earlier years because it was able to ride a sharp curve up...we hit a flat spot, but I believe we're on the uptick again. If we want to keep growing our sport, and, indeed, a wider demographic into our sport, we need to present ourselves to the larger market.

The loss of COWOYS will prove to be a disaster, because the show had become a major driver in introducing new people to the sport. Luckily, it will play in repeat, probably long after I'm dead and gone. We're also working hard to bring the show back, and we're getting somewhere, I think. It's going to take some innovative dealmaking, but at least there's hope.

I also agree with Phantom that it's time to let that whole "reliving our childhood" meme ride off into the sunset. It does us no good in attracting new members and I think it trivializes the fact that we are competitive shooters involved in a very competitive SPORT. Duece Stevens has the right of it as well...there is sometimes even at the highest levels an distain for the competition side of our sport that also does us no good...it's all well and good to call what we do a "fantasy society," but amazingly every weekend when Indiana Jackson and I go to shoot, they run a timer and publish the scores! And everybody we shoot with has a great time, dresses appropriately, believes in The Cowboy Way and still wants to shot better and better.

CAS is ultimately many things, but the engine that drives the whole train, the engine that makes everything else possible, is competition. Promote the competition, present the unique facets of our sport, and we will grow.

My $0.02...your mileage may vary...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Information is indeed the key to bringing more members to our sport. I mean, I get around, and you would be AMAZED at the number of people who have never even heard of cowboy action shooting. And a quick visit to The High Road thread will turn up many many misconceptions about our sport (thank you Grizzly Dave and others who labored to correct those misconceptions!).

SASS needs to market, period. I've said that before on the Wire and I've said it in meetings with the Wild Bunch. Unfortunately, that costs money. SASS was very lucky in its earlier years because it was able to ride a sharp curve up...we hit a flat spot, but I believe we're on the uptick again. If we want to keep growing our sport, and, indeed, a wider demographic into our sport, we need to present ourselves to the larger market.

The loss of COWOYS will prove to be a disaster, because the show had become a major driver in introducing new people to the sport. Luckily, it will play in repeat, probably long after I'm dead and gone. We're also working hard to bring the show back, and we're getting somewhere, I think. It's going to take some innovative dealmaking, but at least there's hope.

I also agree with Phantom that it's time to let that whole "reliving our childhood" meme ride off into the sunset. It does us no good in attracting new members and I think it trivializes the fact that we are competitive shooters involved in a very competitive SPORT. Duece Stevens has the right of it as well...there is sometimes even at the highest levels an distain for the competition side of our sport that also does us no good...it's all well and good to call what we do a "fantasy society," but amazingly every weekend when Indiana Jackson and I go to shoot, they run a timer and publish the scores! And everybody we shoot with has a great time, dresses appropriately, believes in The Cowboy Way and still wants to shot better and better.

CAS is ultimately many things, but the engine that drives the whole train, the engine that makes everything else possible, is competition. Promote the competition, present the unique facets of our sport, and we will grow.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Ding Ding Ding, we've got a winner. Somebody get that man a cigar.

WE can't compete with Wii I'm afraid.

I asked my 12 year old daughter which was better - video games or SASS - and she said,

'If the weather is nice, shooting is more fun than video games.'

So, we can compete with the Wii on a sunny day.

What she likes best about SASS: likes being the only girl among her peers that shoots, spending a day together shooting, and coming home with a ribbon.

What she likes best about video games: fun puzzle solving, and getting to the next level.

I am naive and uninformed and I admit it. It seems to me that SASS and the NRA could work together better to mutual benefit. How about having a cowboy match at the Camp Perry competitions? That should be mutually beneficial exposure...

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

BUT if we want to continue to grow we might actually have to CHANGE. Yup, I said it; We might have to actually do something different. We might have to add a new deminsion to the sport. What about shooting on the move? What about adding targets that award accuracy and speed at the same time? What about adding an "Open" catagory where the top guys can show off their talents without feeling like they will be looked-down on for being openly competitive?

If we keep "dumbing-down" this game we will never gain any prominance amoungst the shooting sports, and the younger more physical shooter will go elsewhere to play.

If we keep "dumbing-down" this game we will never gain any prominance amoungst the shooting sports, and the younger more physical shooter will go elsewhere to play.

I am not a slide gun person

but the new SASS Wild Bunch endeavour has renewed my shooting ambition

cuz, they (SASS) wants' Wild Bunch to have a higher skill level, than what SASS CAS has become of late

and I can still dress cowbow too

Having recently been attracted to CAS and being relatively young at 37, I'll give my perspective since I believe that I represent the target audience. I have always been interested in guns and have wanted to get involved in shooting sports. Before I started with CAS, I already had all of the guns needed to compete in just about any shooting sport other than CAS (3-gun, military high power, IDPA, benchrest, rimfire benchrest, etc). The reason that I chose CAS over the rest (even though I had no equipment for it) was the friendliness and approachability of the people involved (something not often found in other shooting sports). Now that I have gained some confidence in shooting CAS, I will probably look into Wild Bunch and 3-gun. For me, CAS has been kind of a gateway shooting sport; although I certainly won't stop shooting CAS now that I am hooked.

Where I am going with this is that I believe the target audience isn't young people who are interested in cowboys (this is too small of a pool); the target audience is young people who are interested in participating in other shooting sports but are too apprehensive to get started. The biggest strength of Cowboy Action Shooting is that it is non-threatening, friendly, and inclusive to just about any shooter. These are the qualities that need to be exploited to attract this group of shooters.

I had never heard of SASS or CAS and I was a firearms instructor who was competitively shooting several other shooting disciplines. I only found it when I went to my local club and saw the stage props and guessed it may be a western related shooting sport and thought, Wow, that may be kinda cool. I did a search on the internet and found CAS, watched my first match, spoke to some of the most welcoming friendly people I have ever met and bam, I was hooked.

My point is we advertise in CAS related places. SASS should advertise outside of their normal areas. Word of mouth is good, but there are tons of people out there who, when I bring it up, say, "What is Cowboy Action Shooting??"

MOST people, even those in the shooting world, have never heard of CAS.

I think we need to change that.

JEL

Didn;t read all the posts - my idea is hopefully my daughter (she's SASS now, but not quite ready to shoot - she brass rats currently) will tell other kids in her school about it. Though she is only in 5th grade maybe by the time she gets more involved and high school comes around she'll attract a few friends...and..uh...hate to say it...but a boyfreind too :angry: ...:D

She likes the idea of shooting, but loves the people that she has met so far - which I think is very important quality of SASS.

Happy recruiting..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

when you are done reading them

leaving your Cowboy Chronicles on the reading table

at your

•  
  • mechinacs shop
  • doctors office
  • dentist office
  • oil change place
  • shooting range club house
  • and more

can go along way in advertising for free

us shooters can do that

30,000 CC left each month

think of the coverage?

when you are done reading them

leaving your Cowboy Chronicles on the reading table

Our club collects CC to hand out to prospective members, but I find that most months I've given them out to interested friends.

I agree that CC is a good recruiting tool.

I went to the range on Friday to try some 45 Schofields in my Marlin and Ruger OMB's. I only took 16 rounds. Tried 12 and the shoot great. There was a father and his 12 year old son shooting a 410 pump. I had never seen either of them before. I started a conversation with them and asked the son if he wanted to try my Marlin. I could tell he was a little afraid of the gun. I told him it did not recoil anymore that the 410's that he was shooting. His daddy brought him over and he shot 2 rounds and had a grim from ear to ear. Then I only had 2 rounds left and let his dad shoot and he was grinning as well. I gave his daddy a couple of fired 45 Schofield rounds and reminded him NOT to let him take them out of the house.

They were 2 very happy people when we left. Future shooters, I hope so.

Shenny

I agree, when at a traditional range for practice time, it is a great opportunity to recruit.

Almost every time I go, I get comments like 'nice guns, cool guns' etc. I tell them what the firearm is, a little history, the history of the caliber, etc.

Then I offer to let them fire a few rounds through them. You don't see a lot of that in most shooting sports, and I think the hospitality goes a long way.

All of the practice ranges I go to don't allow 'rapid' fire. When I tell them I know a place where we shoot these guns as fast as we can, well they become very interested.

Most of the time I end up telling them about the website and to research CAS on the internet.

I don't know if any of these people I've met have gone on to shooting CAS, but the seed has been planted. Like Shenny says - 'future shooters, I hope so.'

To attract any new shooters to the game, you have to target a propective group. In this case I'd say to target an age group of 28 years of age and older. Why 28 and older? These are the parents/grandparents of the "younger" shooters, the 10 to 16 year olds. You're probably asking, what about the 16 to 28 year olds? The 16 to 19 group have discovered cars, the opposite sex, school related sports and various other activities to get involved with. They also like to interact with their peers, their own age group. The 19 to 28 group are busy going to college, building careers and starting families. Doesn't mean that they don't like shooting, just means that shooting is not a high priority for them.

The parents/grandparents are normally the folks most likely to inspire their kids to partipate in any sport, not just shooting sports. Involving their children in any sport is expensive, sometimes prohibitly so. Aside from the cost's associated with CAS, if parents/grandparents can get the kids involved in CAS, the kids will more than likely stay involved as adults. They may wander for a time when they get to 16 years old, but will return in time.

As some others have stated, SASS does little to promote itself. When SASS does promote itself through advertising, it is mainly to existing SASS members......not propective new customers. Most new shooters to SASS discover the world of CAS strictly by word of mouth. I know advertising is expensive, but SASS needs to be promoted. Promoted by the owners of SASS, by the customers and by the ranges that put on the competitions.

Is SASS doomed to extinction? Not hardly! But we do need to keep a steady influx of new shooters to maintain a freshness to the sport.

Sun

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Information is indeed the key to bringing more members to our sport. I mean, I get around, and you would be AMAZED at the number of people who have never even heard of cowboy action shooting.

SASS needs to market, period. I've said that before on the Wire and I've said it in meetings with the Wild Bunch. Unfortunately, that costs money.

I also agree with Phantom that it's time to let that whole "reliving our childhood" meme ride off into the sunset.

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

There are lots of folks who have never heard of CAS and exposing CAS to these folks especially the ones with families is the one sure way to grow. I like the SASS Convention and seeing our CAS friends there each year but it misses an opportunity to spread the word of our sport with a bunch of western minded folks who are in town from all over the country for the NFR. Wouldn't it be great to have a bunch of the folks that have never heard of CAS, folks with families, get exposed to the indoor SASS matches as well as the Fast Draw and other things by having some of those activities held at the convention hall at Cowboy Christmas? There are a bunch of folks who stumble through there that meet Buck Taylor and though he tries to send folks over to the Riviera, a bunch of them don't realize what he is talking about. These people have families... and our convention is kinda preaching to the choir (maybe if there was a CAS booth there wouldn't be home gym equipment on the south wall).

The loss of Cowboys is a bummer but it shows the urban mindset. Homeboy sights and canned hunting shows... yuck!!

Letting our childhood ride off applies to those that never fed a horse growing up for sure but its never too late to learn some John Wayne values. We miss exposing a bunch of folks at the convention, and the Chronical needs some more "how to" stuff as well as a possible run down of the equipment used by the Top Shooters or Category winners at the big matches or some other useful information. Some of our categories make too many allowances for our high end equipment. Maybe if there were a category where a "92" was the rifle, it would let folks be competitive with entry level/less costly equipment?

When I started CAS it was because it was different, got to buy new guns, got to shoot alot, there were fuses, swingin doors, brandin irons and things that allowed a shooter to play cowboys and indians with real guns. These things need to be part of what we do at matches below annuals, state, national, and world championships. These are definitely chooting competitions but the rest of the time it should be cowboy fun too? It seems that at some of the larger monthly matches the folks think it is a match to win and some of the rule mongering that comes from there onto the Wire might take away some of the fun?

Maybe my mileage varies, but wherever we show up to shoot 3 to 6 of my family comes along and we range in age from 10 to 47. (Last month a bunch of my gang made the Chronical!! YeeHaw!!) We all have our own guns and during the shooting season my loaders never stop running. A cheap sport/hobby...well... A fun one... You Bet!!

You're not going to get younger shooters in any numbers in CAS. Point blank, cut and dried, short and simple.

There will be exceptions--I'm not arguing that. They will never be the rule.

CAS is what it is. It's a salute to the goodtimes many of us had, growing up and playing cowboys and indians. We watched the movies, watched the serials, read the books, played the games, had folks that watched Westerns during prime-time television hours and newly-released movies.

Those days are done. Gone. There are some great, great Westerns being made today: Kids don't see them in any numbers, at all.

Boys today are going to do whatever allows them to be perceived as "cool". This means being admired by peers and females.

Dressing up as a cowboy--or doing anything with your grandparents--isn't seen as "cool" in anything other than Lifetime channel movies, or books by Nicholas Sparks. Never in real life.

Hell, most adults don't get it. We're only a small, small sub-sect of the shooting community--let alone the entire adult community.

There are more young shooters in IPSC. You can't compare the "cool" factor of a young lad, dressed in his mall-ninja outfit and blazing away with his spaceman gun as he runs from station to station with that of a young man seemingly dressed up by his elderly Aunt Petunia in old-people's costumes, shooting the equivalent of muskets. In his mind, every young man, while in the performance of whatever he is doing at any given second, is instantly and completely analyzing how he thinks he will look if his peers could see him. Regardless of whether or not he's actually having fun.

Nothing is going to change that. This isn't a sport for new blood. New blood should be applauded, and encouraged--but never expected, nor it's absence bemoaned. This is absolutely the wrong sport for it.

You want young shooters? You want to see a huge national interest (relatively speaking, as compared to CAS) by youth in a shooting sport? Here's what you do:

ZAS. Zombie Action Shooting. Yeah, I said it. Exact same attention to detail spent on post-apocalyptic costuming, same dedication spent on constructing elaborate stages, with associated scenarios...and you'll see interest like you never believed (as compared to CAS).

Even then--the initial buy-in cost is still a bit steep. Shooting costs a lot of money, for the average person. A lot! A skillset is developed with shooting sports...and for the most part, these skillsets are something that can be used in modern life. Learning to shoot a SA pistol, or SXS shotgun is a great skillset--but for the money spent, is it really worth it to develop and master an outdated skillset? Skillsets developed utilizing the 100 year-old 1911A1 are faster and more lethal than those that use CAS weapons--and that pistol is over 100 years old! Why spend the time or the money? It doesn't make sense to do CAS, unless there is a romantic appeal for you...and today's children (by and large) have never developed that romance...with Westerns, anyway.

I've heard some on here say that CAS isn't so expensive, that it's cheaper than drag racing--and I agree...but is your area opening up dragstrips, or closing them down?

Zombie movies are this generations Westerns. More kids have seen Resident Evil--or played one of the games--then even know who Clint Eastwood is...let alone Hopalong Cassidy.

This is coming from a 44 year old, ex-bracket racing, still workin' .mil retiree.

I was thinking about boy scouts - just think how many merit badges you could earn with being involved in CAS. History, woodworking, leatherworking, shooting, camping, etc.

I know there are scout troops involved with shooting, why couldn't it be Cowboy Action Shooting?

Why couldn't a local club 'sponsor' a troop? Think about it - a multiple weekend relationship that could involve firearm training, leatherworking, woodworking, old west history lessons, and of course shooting. Throw in a free campsite and teach them camping skills old west style.

Cowboys could go to the regular scout meetings and offer introductory classes, then the scouts could go out to the range and it experience it all first hand.

After going through an experience like that, how many of those scouts would become SASS shooters? How many family members of those scouts would become SASS shooters?

BUT if we want to continue to grow we might actually have to CHANGE. Yup, I said it; We might have to actually do something different. We might have to add a new deminsion to the sport. What about shooting on the move? What about adding targets that award accuracy and speed at the same time? What about adding an "Open" catagory where the top guys can show off their talents without feeling like they will be looked-down on for being openly competitive?

I understand what you're saying--but the argument is flawed: it's already, inherently, dumbed down. It's SA revolvers and SXS shotguns! Why pour money and effort into dressup and acquiring skillsets that are almost universally outdated?

CAS will never, ever be able to compete with IPSC, IDPA, or even airsoft. It's competition, granted--and intense competition--but it isn't useful, cost-effective, applicable competition.

A young person's time would be better spent learning to safely shoot and handle modern firearms--firearms that would serve to protect the shooter and his or her loved ones--much more effectively than what we use. This can't be argued!

A pump shotgun is more effective than a SXS--and usually cheaper. A glock 19 is more effective than a SA .45--and much cheaper. And you don't have to dress up in old clothes to use 'em.

CAS exists because of the fantasy and romantic appeal of the cowboy...not despite it!

As always--just my humble opinion.

I was thinking about boy scouts - just think how many merit badges you could earn with being involved in CAS. History, woodworking, leatherworking, shooting, camping, etc.

I know there are scout troops involved with shooting, why couldn't it be Cowboy Action Shooting?

Why couldn't a local club 'sponsor' a troop? Think about it - a multiple weekend relationship that could involve firearm training, leatherworking, woodworking, old west history lessons, and of course shooting. Throw in a free campsite and teach them camping skills old west style.

Cowboys could go to the regular scout meetings and offer introductory classes, then the scouts could go out to the range and it experience it all first hand.

After going through an experience like that, how many of those scouts would become SASS shooters? How many family members of those scouts would become SASS shooters?

Having taught archery to Boy Scouts at summer camps for several years, I can safely answer this question: Damn few.

For the most part, parents don't want to spend a lot of time and money on something for their children--despite the child's interest in it--unless they are into it, as well.

Having said that: I think your idea (if it could be sold--you have no idea how much insurance comes into play with todays BSA) is a great one. Citizenship in the Community, as well as cooking, pioneering, and a little bit of Wilderness Survival could be worked into it, as well. If nothing else, it's a good way to introduce parents to CAS.

It's us older shooters who are paying the costs, and if you as the match director "don't really care about pleasing our older shooters" you won't have a match to direct. Face it, it's a game, when I get too old to play, I'll hang up my guns and go do something else, then I'll die. I'm not going to loose any sleep worrying about recruiting younger shooters. We've all seen how to do it, allow firearms that aren't legal now, do away with the 4 gun stages, do away with "costumes". Just do away with the things that makes CAS what it is today. As for my "crappy attitude" I'm expressing my opinion, or do you insist I toe the PC "party line"?

This has got to be the saddest post I've seen in a while.......

Stan

I just spent a little time researching the Boy Scouts of American and the Merit Badge Program.

Scouts can earn badges in:

• American Heritage
  • Camping
  • Coin Collection
  • Horsemanship
  • Cooking
  • Indian Lore
  • Leatherwork
  • Metalwork
  • Pioneering
  • Rifle Shooting
  • Shotgun Shooting
  • Woodwork

Since I have started shooting CAS, I have met cowboys that know a thing or two on the above subjects. Heck, I bet some of them even wrote the book on the above subjects.

With so much in common, it seems to make sense to have a good relationship between the BSA and SASS - especially on the local level.

The local scout troop could learn a thing or two from cowboys (and get some merit badges in the process).

The local SASS club coud get CAS and the cowboy way presented to a whole new demographic (and get some new shooters in the process).

Isn't this what Western 3-Gun is all about? How is that working out? I never hear much about it anymore and when I looked at their web site I only see 5 clubs listed with 2 in California and 2 in Florida. It's been around for a least five years and I don't see where it's really shown much growth.

It's got nothing to do with being "PC" and you are 100% entitled to your opinion. But when you post on a public forum thats the way it goes sometimes. My opinion is that it's sad that if you enjoy the game that you don't care whether or not it's around for future generations to enjoy it. Life a bitch and then ya die I guess, some are missed and some are not.

Having taught archery to Boy Scouts at summer camps for several years, I can safely answer this question: Damn few.

For the most part, parents don't want to spend a lot of time and money on something for their children--despite the child's interest in it--unless they are into it, as well.

Having said that: I think your idea (if it could be sold--you have no idea how much insurance comes into play with todays BSA) is a great one. Citizenship in the Community, as well as cooking, pioneering, and a little bit of Wilderness Survival could be worked into it, as well. If nothing else, it's a good way to introduce parents to CAS.

First off - thanks for being active with today's youth. It is important to teach the next generation.

I have had no involvement with scouts, so I don't have a clue about insurance, etc. Scouts do shoot firearms, so it is not an insurmountable obstacle. Somebody is shooting with the scouts. SASS clubs have to carry insurance - is it adequate enough to cover scout requirements for any of their activities? Has anyone tried this?

We need to convince Hollywood to make lots of western movies and TV shows with starring folks like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Robert Pattinson, Daniel Radcliffe, Li'l Kim and Usher.

That's about the only thing that would do it. ;)

what Bob said .............the only way!

Its all about marketing

Didn;t read all the posts - my idea is hopefully my daughter (she's SASS now, but not quite ready to shoot - she brass rats currently) will tell other kids in her school about it. Though she is only in 5th grade maybe by the time she gets more involved and high school comes around she'll attract a few friends...and..uh...hate to say it...but a boyfreind too :angry: ...:D

She likes the idea of shooting, but loves the people that she has met so far - which I think is very important quality of SASS.

Happy recruiting..

GG ~ :FlagAm:

GG......just make sure she dont get expelled for talking about the evil thing called shooting ..........never know anymore what people will do

Think this is part of the problem also .........society has changed ......thing accepted 10 years ago are now becoming taboo........things taboo 10 years ago are being accepted .......aaaaaaah change aint it great

Archived