SASS Wire Forum

Appaloosa (2008)

The Original Bad Bob

Appaloosa (2008) Directed by Ed Harris, starring Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Jeremy Irons, Rene Zellwiger, Lance Hendricksen.

Good story, but I found Jeremy Irons somewhat unbelievable in his part as Bragg, the greedy murderous antagonist in the story. I guess I have seen him in too many other movies where he was a good guy (except in Die Hard 2). He's a good actor, I just didn't think he was right for this part. Rene Zellwiger's character was a bit puzzling to me.

Harris a good actor and good director, but Mortensen made the movie for me. I loved the ending.

Overall, it was a good movie, not as realistic as most modern westerns I have seen, but definitely worth the time.

Appaloosa (2008) Directed by Ed Harris, starring Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen, Jeremy Irons, Rene Zellwiger, Lance Hendricksen.

Good story, but I found Jeremy Irons somewhat unbelievable in his part as Bragg, the greedy murderous antagonist in the story. I guess I have seen him in too many other movies where he was a good guy (except in Die Hard 2). He's a good actor, I just didn't think he was right for this part. Rene Zellwiger's character was a bit puzzling to me.

Harris a good actor and good director, but Mortensen made the movie for me. I loved the ending.

Overall, it was a good movie, not as realistic as most modern westerns I have seen, but definitely worth the time.

We had a thread that was about a thousand pages when the movie came out.

Approximately 732 pages were arguments about Ms. Zellweger. :lol:

I have to get busy myself and read the others. Thought the movie was great but not at first. Saw it at the theather and left a little let down. But when it came out on dvd I bought it right up and watched it again. The behind the scenes and deleted scenes explained alot for me and made me enjoy the movie so much more.

Now it's my favorite western and I try to watch it at least once a month. ;)

At first I thought that surely a prettier actress than Zellweger could be found for the part. Seemed they were all pawing the ground over someone who just was not that desirable. I think now that it worked out fine. Makes the all consuming devotion that Harris' character has for her that much more manic.

Irons' wardrobe was what did it for me. Seemed he was in a "costume" and not rancher/working cowboy type clothes. Everyone else seemed to be dressed to their part. Maybe he chose his own and couldn't get the European idea of cowboy dress out of his mind.

The other two books are definitely worth the read. Too bad Parker recently died. Would have liked to have more of this and of Jesse Stone.

We had a thread that was about a thousand pages when the movie came out.

Approximately 732 pages were arguments about Ms. Zellweger. :lol:

My son's friend from church said it best........"She has a face that looks like her foot!" :lol:

BSD

Zellwiger's character was played very close to the charactor Parker created. In the books, she is not a likable person, but seems to be a very good manipulator of otherwise strong men.

I liked Harris especially in the movie; I'd sure like to see him in more westerns. He was very fine in Riders of the Purple Sage.

Renee' was just the person for the part; she fit the written character well. Living by her wits and her body out there in a tough land.

Riders of the Purple Sage

There's another one I have not seen.

This was a made-for-TV flick of several years back. Harris's wife Amy Madigan plays Jane. The movie is mildly PC in that it doesn't identify the various elders and preachers as Mormons, but it's otherwise true to the book and very well done. Harris, of course, is Lassiter. It's easy to find.

Speaking of Viggo Mortenson and Ed Harris, both were outstanding in A History of Violence, a real favorite movie of mine. Maria Bello is hot and William Hurt plays a really good small role, too.

This was a made-for-TV flick of several years back. Harris's wife Amy Madigan plays Jane. The movie is mildly PC in that it doesn't identify the various elders and preachers as Mormons, but it's otherwise true to the book and very well done. Harris, of course, is Lassiter. It's easy to find.

Speaking of Viggo Mortenson and Ed Harris, both were outstanding in A History of Violence, a real favorite movie of mine. Maria Bello is hot and William Hurt plays a really good small role, too.

I love that movie. I keep coming back to it in my head all the time.

Warning: A History of Violence is not a movie for the faint of heart.

Archived