SASS Wire Forum

Garage treasure

Mack Hacker, #60477

We are in the process of moving out of a house we have occupied for 38 years. In the back of my reloading cabinet junk drawer, I found a Lee reloading manual, 1st edition. It was a paper back about the shape of a Reader's Digest and 1/3 of the thickness with a price tag on it that said $.65. The new one I bought last year is a lot more informative, but a lot of the original material is still included.

I also found the first shotgun hull that I ever fired on a skeet range(40 yeras ago). It was a Winchester tracer load, so very easy to recognize. Winchester White Wing range in Houston used to use them in a special intro class for newbies. The tracers were discontinued shortly after that. It seemed that the shells kept finding their way into peoples game vests and starting fires when used in the field.

Howdy

I have a copy too that I picked up at some white elephant table someplace. 100 pages including the covers. But the price printed on mine is 98 cents.

Howdy

I have a copy too that I picked up at some white elephant table someplace. 100 pages including the covers. But the price printed on mine is 98 cents.

$.98 is the cover price, but it has a price sticker on it for $.65.

I've now found the light switch knob for my 69 Olds 442 convertible, part of a radiator cover for a 31 Ford, and a Raleigh 3spd folding bicycle.

Raleigh 3spd folding bicycle.

Cool! I had a Raleigh 3 spd as a kid. It didn't fold though. Are you sure you're not in my parents' garage?

I went digging around in the junk stored in my garage from 40 years of marriage and found my 1957 Chevy truck that I bought 31 years ago today. Happy Birthday TRUCK!!!! It's a V8 with a 4 speed Hydromatic, 4-11 rearend. Big back window, chrome grill and bumpers, dash knobs are chrome too. Most trucks had white grills and bumpers and black plastic knobs. I also got 6 small block Chevy engines out there somewhere. '56-265, '57-265, '59-283, '64-283, '62-327, '85-350. Now I gotta figure out which one to put in the truck/with the Hydromatic.

Big Jake

I have a 1972 edition of the Hornady manual that says that the .223 will never be as popular as the .222 since the .223 was only chambered in military issue rifles at that time!!! Guess they never heard of the .30-06 and .45-70.

The great thing about the book is the comments that woudl now be considered as politically incorrect.

There are interesting negative comments about the 6.5 Mannlicher-Carcano and its poor accuracy (How could Lee H Oswald have made a 165-yard shot at a moving target of JFK and connected multiple times??)

.30 M1 Carbine, .300 H&H and .244 are also spared no ill words.

Archived