SASS Wire Forum

Have you stopped going to CAS matches?

Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I slowed way down and haven't shot in a match since 2009. I fell on an icy concrete step and injured my hip so badly it turned to arthritis. It was so bad that I couldn't walk anymore let alone stand up unaided. But, I just had a new state of the art Birmingham hip installed on February 9th. The surgery took 90 minutes, I was walking on it the same day and I was home recuperating by the evening of the 11th. It's a new miracle surgery! :D

So... I'm looking forward to being able to shoot again this summer! :lol:

Doc

Guest talon macleod 29883

Yes ,I am down to one maybe a month. There are two clubs within twenty min. from my home so price of gas has yet to become an issue. After eleven years I am just tired of the way things have changed. In Ga. relations with the Gun Clubs have in my opinion have deteriorated ( They believe we have a large amount of cash stashed ).The stand and deliver crowd have taken the day.I probably would be out but I have good friends who are running a club and I`m afraid that if we pull it will be over. We have not but a small number of people who are willing to do anything and that too is dwindling . I have most likely said too much. Talon Macleod #29883 :blush:

Sad, but a pard has got to do what a pard has to do.... split from the herd and move to greener pastures.

I wonder why most of the folks on this threat even log onto the Wire? If the love of shooting, costuming and socializing with other Cowboy/girls isn't there and worth the drive to the monthly match, then I guess it is time move onto another hobby. The Wire is the least enjoyable part of the whole SASS experience.

I shall move to another threat with less gloom and doom and tears in the beer. :unsure:

Blastmaster

Yes ,I am down to one maybe a month. There are two clubs within twenty min. from my home so price of gas has yet to become an issue. After eleven years I am just tired of the way things have changed. In Ga. relations with the Gun Clubs have in my opinion have deteriorated ( They believe we have a large amount of cash stashed ).The stand and deliver crowd have taken the day.I probably would be out but I have good friends who are running a club and I`m afraid that if we pull it will be over. We have not but a small number of people who are willing to do anything and that too is dwindling . I have most likely said too much. Talon Macleod #29883 :blush:

Every sport as folks droppin out...moving on. Just life. If yer done, move on and other will fil the void. I've found that life seems to go on regardless of how important one thinks they or others are.

Why blame it on others is beyond me...

:FlagAm:

Guest talon macleod 29883

Phantom I think you misunderstand .I am in no way important one way or another. Moving on is difficult after so long and being so attached but as with all things it will eventually happen.As for logging in and making a comment. Logging in is what a member is allowed to do and making a comment is what Birdgun asked for. I hold no hidden agenda nor do I wish any adverse problems for the sport nor anyone involved. Talon

Where were you last weekend?

:angry: :angry: WORKIN' :angry::angry:

:angry: :angry: WORKIN' :angry::angry:

Blackwater, I plan on being at Wartrace Saturday.

I hope everybody can enjoy a great time at a CAS match soon.

God bless you Greeenriver.

Birdgun Quail

I have been a Life Member for years, now, and that Life Membership will end sometime this summer.

Thank tou SASS, and CAS in general for everything.

Greeenriver

Greeenriver, you are in my prayers pard.

May God watch over you and comfort you.

Birdgun Quail

...I have been a Life Member for years, now, and that Life Membership will end sometime this summer. St. Jude's Charity Shoot will probiblt be the last shoot I get to attend, but I will make the drive over there, simply to see and visit with friends, and loved ones...

Triple E,

Please say it isn't so. I haven't got to meet you yet. :(

Stay hopeful, miracles happpen.

Your pal,

No E

Have not been to a match in a few months, Not fer lack of wantin...

Mandatory OT just seems to get in the way!

But Imma thinkin the light is on at the end of the tunnel and I am going to make it!!!

Too many good friends not to! I know they will be there with open arms a waitin...

Sure Like Da Grizzly ah goes under-ground fer a spell in da Winter ....... ^_^:o:):D

Nope ,,,,,,,,,,, Trying to get to even more shoots !!!!!

Jabez Cowboy

Yup, I haven't been to a SASS match in 3 years. It just stopped being fun. Ten years ago we still did a lot of silly things on the clock. Then it stopped and to me it became IPSC in cowboy clothes. I still stop by and say howdy to old friends but just don't feel like shooting. I seldom even log unto the Wire these days.

Will Ketchum

I think it's funny...like folks leaving a game is unique to SASS.

I wonder...how many of those folks that leave 'cuz it ain't fun no-more...ever truly enjoyed the game. I mean...most of the folks that I know enjoy the hangin out with folks...tellin lies...laughing...

Oh well...movin on...looking forward to being outside enjoying a weekend full of Cowboy Shootin!

I think it's funny...like folks leaving a game is unique to SASS.

I wonder...how many of those folks that leave 'cuz it ain't fun no-more...ever truly enjoyed the game. I mean...most of the folks that I know enjoy the hangin out with folks...tellin lies...laughing...

Oh well...movin on...looking forward to being outside enjoying a weekend full of Cowboy Shootin!

I can relate to what they're saying. As a matter of fact, that's why I'm in SASS now. I used to be HEAVILY into the 1911 sports; IPSC, Steel Challenge, etc. When I started out I had tons of fun. Then I got burned out and wasn't having fun anymore. Thankfully my wife saw SASS on one of the Outdoor channel shows and she fell in love just from that half hour episode. I went along at first just to watch her have fun. Then it dawned on me, she was having FUN. That's what had been missing from my shooting games. Now that I'm in SASS I know to never lose sight of what's important, having fun with great people. Madd Mike tells me you're one of those great people. I sure hope you and I can get together someday and have fun. :)

I'm so depressed now I just tore up my membership card and tossed my guns in the creek.

Interesting thread,

My hats off to those who can't attend matches because of , family issues, job issues, financial issues, and/or health issues. I wish you the best and hope you can get back to this sport soon.

One of the curious things I have noticed in my many years is that almost everything always used to be "better", you know, "back when", "the ole days". Now, here I am in SASS and go to as many matches as I can, attended three in February, guess what? Again, I missed the "good ole days" you know when it used to be "REALLY GOOD" !!!. I am absolutely sure that when my ship finally comes in, I'll be at the airport. Can't win...just can't win!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Stay safe

Wiley

PS. Oh, except going to the dentist, anyone who thinks going to the dentist used to be better in the "ole days" has got a serious screw loose.

I'm so depressed now I just tore up my membership card and tossed my guns in the creek.

Which creek?

I joined in early 2001. Shot lots of local matchs at that time. I have 3 clubs within 50 minutes, 2 more clubs within an hour and 50 minutes. Now show about three times a month. I hurt my attendance in 2009 when I lost my job as a General Motors parts consultant and just found a new job in June of 2010. I understand how all of you feel. It's changed but not for the worse.

As a long time friend and fellow club member of Talon, I know where he is coming from. Over the past dozen years I’ve seen clubs dissolve completely, while others have merely split into two separate factions each established upon mutual dislike of the other. I’ve seen major matches shanghaied from their founding clubs and campaigns to ban members from their home ranges. Throughout it all, and certain no one was truly to be believed I chose to concentrate strictly on the shooting. As long as targets were available and scores were tallied, I personally could care less about who was in charge and where my match fees ultimately went. I continued to show up on Friday afternoons to set up stages, wrote the occasion match, served as Posse Marshall or spotter, and worked the Thursday side matches at different State and Regional events.

Sadly, even this level of detachment proved to be a strain. A few years back a shooter even senior to myself disputed a miss. I was running the timer, and all three spotters were in agreement on the miss. The shooter was the first person up on the first stage of the day engaging freshly painted targets so the miss seemed beyond refute. A close examination of the target indeed showed no signs of a hit so I sided with the spotters. The shooter then appealed to the match director who quietly took me aside and informed me to credit the shooter’s hit. His reasoning was “we got to keep the customers happy”.

For some three years since that incident I’ve done my best to disappear into the Posse. I now just pay my fees, shoot my targets, and work the unloading table. I avoid any responsibilities, steer clear of disputes and try at least on the range to keep my opinions to myself.

SASS has some great people, and I consider many as good friends (including Mister Never Missed), but others have damped the excitement of shooting. Once my current stockpile of ammo is depleted I’ll probably go back to Saturday golf.

Guess I should chime in. I've hardly got started in this sport, which I joined for the fun, and have had to take a few steps back. It's me, not the Game, not the Pards, not the local Group(s). Well, mebbe it's also the economy, for me at least. I am retired, been so for ten years. Worked for nine years in my old profession as a contractor until the $$$ run out and now I am semi-retired, working part-time, doing piece-work, paid on a piece-work basis. I am working harder than I have in the past twenty-years for a fraction of the pay, with far less free time for fun stuff. I am not fast, nor am I any good, but I joined for reasons that I found outlined in several of Tex's responses to letters in this month's C-C. I joined for the funuvitt and the chance to play out the lifelong fantasy, not to enter a competition or win a buckle (and there ain't nothing wrong with either of those). I am not givin' up on that potential of fun, but for now I just have to take it slow(ly). And shake my head most Wednesday mornings (practice shoot) and on the match Saturdays and Sundays when I find myself working that full time "part-time" job. So for now, I am a virtual Pard, until either I or the times or the economy, change. <_< That's life.

• 2 months later...

Yes.... I ran into some bad cowboy manners. A real Mr. tough guy!

Been 11 years but I still enjoy it. Shoot at least 3 matches per month sometimes 4 depending on the wife's schedule. Shoot at least 4 or 5 big matches per year also. :)

I started CAS in 2004. In 2008, I started to have health issues and didn't shoot in 2009-2010. I hope to get back with it in 2011. I love the sport and the people. Our club is very accomadatomg for folks with health issues. Here is to a better year.

Wow, this thread is up again, guess I'll answer again...

I don't get to as many matches as I'd like, especially ones that require travel and lodging due to $$$ constraints, but I still shoot a match or two a month, year around weather permitting.

Grizz

Nope !!!

I'm planning on one or two more major shoots this year ..... And planning on a trip to the lower 48 next year ...

Jabez Cowboy

I went to my first CAS match in 1996 and haven't stopped or slowed down since. I shoot every weekend from Mar - Nov. I'd shoot Dec-Feb if the weather wasn't so sucky 'round these parts.

CAS is part of my life, I've made many friends over the years and it's a social thing in addition to just downright fun! I'll do this till I can't do it nomore.B) Rye

Archived