SASS Wire Forum

Have you stopped going to CAS matches?

Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

I know that folks participate in CAS for a few years and then just seem to stop going to CAS matches. I still love going to the CAS matches but so many faces that were there when I started CAS six years ago are no longer present. :(

Are you one that still keeps your SASS membership but has stopped going to CAS matches? :mellow:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Anvil Al, I may take the summer off due to heat but I come on back. Now if it is too cold I may miss a match once and awhile. You're right I have noticed that a lot of shooters will go at it hard for 3-5 years then kinda burn out.

Shenny

Around here we usually have to break for winter. Over the years one club or another tries to shoot year round, but almost always cancels once or twice for weather.

If there is a match I can make I am there. If I miss a match because of work or other commitment my wife is trying to get me to the next one. They seem to be my "attitude adjustment".

Hope this helps,

Smoke

Hi Birdgun!

I been at it 6 years and going strong - I'm at Winter Range right now so I'm still a might excited about shooting!! I'll be looking for you in the mid-west this year!! I know I'll hear you on the stage!!!! :lol:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We ain't stopped. But we have really gone to fewer matches over the last couple of years due to work, family issues, etc, etc.

MG & CJ

We used to go to 7-8 matches a month years ago and now it may be 1-3. Attrition is dwindling the ranks and you may have noticed the older categories are getting larger these days. Senior or SS classes may be larger than what they were 10 years ago.

Good morning BGQ!

Ms. Mary Matilda and I are still shooting, normally twice a month and we are shooting with the Merlin Marauder's Battle of Rogue River & the North Alabama Regulators Ambush at Cavern Cove in addition to our own Ruckus in the Nations, Oklahoma's State shoot this year.

Haven't stopped, but we've sure cut back. With gas pushing $3.40 a gallon here, combined with the 150 mile round trip and factory ammo over $40 a box, and my arthritis, we're down to 2 or 3 times a year. :blush:

BSD

Due to a job "promotion", I had to cut down to only one match a month during the summer last year, but I'm about ready to retire again. Oh, and no shooting in the winter for me... for instance, it's currently nineteen below zero... at least it's February and it's starting to warm up a little...

:) I still go to 4-5 matches a month. Plus I try to go to at least 2 or 3 out of state shoots every year. It's the only hobby I have and I still get a kick outta dressin up and going and makin as much smoke as I can. I have to admit I was gettin a little bored until 5 years ago when I switched to all BP. It's just sooooo much fun. I think I'll be doin this till I can't do it anymore!B) Rye

Last year was the worst year of shooting for me, I only made 2 matches, work had me tied up with 7 day work weeks all year. I'm hoping to get a lot of matches in this year, but it all depends on what happens at work.

I still shoot, but my brother has all but stopped. He attributes this to getting tired of hearing arguments over whether or not to use rank versus timed scoring. Are the targets too big or too small? Are the targets too close or too far away? He said it was getting to be NO FUN to go and shoot anymore. He is fast, so don't get the idea that not winning at times made it no fun for him. He just got tired of all the bitchin'.

Guest Kid Sopris, Regulator, #3290

If I shot 4 times last year I will be surprised...With Gas and a fixed income, I will have to buy a rubber band gun and shoot targets at home. I too am tired of all the Wire complaining, make the call, and all the stuff that seems to take the fun out of it....As a Life Member I hope to be able to enjoy it again, we will see.

When I started I told my wife it would only be 1 a month. While it didn't always stay that way I tried, I really did. Now with expenses the way they are and other comittments I don't get to go to as many as I would like. J-R

Get ready, here come the excuses. First off, I have had diabetes (and its complications) for over 34 years now. I'm 50 so I don't get around so well and the California DMV decided that I had no business driving so they pulled my drivers license. I'm now dependent on my wife (and her work schedule) for anywhere I may want to go including shoots and practice (she's not a real big fan nor a shooter). At best I can go to one shoot a month. At worst it's more like once a quarter.

Right now I'm not going at all and am in a limbo situation since half of my stuff is packed up pending a soon to happen move up to the central valley (Atwater, CA). Fortunately I found out that I will be living about 5 miles from a brand new CAS range and club that I plan on joining and shooting at more regular intervals (of course depending on my wife's work schedule). Also to add, I've been stocking up during my non shooting stint and have now plenty of gear (more so now than I've ever had), and have leather and guns for Frontier Cartridge and Wild Bunch with back ups. So when I get to my new club I will be ready to go. I look forward to meeting some new pards up there and hopefully getting into a shooting routine that includes consistent shoots in its agenda. Smithy.

Forget the excuses. I shoot when i wanna shoot, and I don't when I don't. Typically I'll miss one or two of the april to november club matches, maybe just because I don't wanna get outta bed that morning, but I shoot three or four big shoots and wouldn't miss em. Here in the north we have plenty of time to think about NOT shooting each winter.

Have you stopped going to CAS matches?

Only temporarily. I been sickly.

I still shoot, but my brother has all but stopped. He attributes this to getting tired of hearing arguments over whether or not to use rank versus timed scoring. Are the targets too big or too small? Are the targets too close or too far away? He said it was getting to be NO FUN to go and shoot anymore. He is fast, so don't get the idea that not winning at times made it no fun for him. He just got tired of all the bitchin'.

I usually do not hear much moaning and complaining at the actual matches. That usually happens on the wire or via e-mails! I have fun at the matches and try my best to keep my mind on the game and shooting straight. Well, I try to anyway.

Nope! Still havin' too much fun!!

Hey Tweety! See ya' at wartrace next weekend?

The only reason I stop is because I am in A.. deep in snow. We have an indoor range in my town but they can't filter out the smoke from my guns. I am always invited, but it just isn't the same.

Zeb

If I shot 4 times last year I will be surprised...With Gas and a fixed income, I will have to buy a rubber band gun and shoot targets at home. I too am tired of all the Wire complaining, make the call, and all the stuff that seems to take the fun out of it....As a Life Member I hope to be able to enjoy it again, we will see.

Your point about the cost being a factor is not unusual. At our club (Texas Ten Horns) we offer 3 categories that will save our shooters money;

a. a "working cowboy"...only shoots 1 revolver and a rifle, no 2nd pistol or shotgun. Saves $ on guns and ammo

b. a "sod buster"...only shoots 1 revolver and a shotgun, no 2nd pistol or rifle.

c. a "Double Deuce"...shoots .22 caliber revolvers and rifle. Any SASS legal shotgun. Saves ammo costs and the time

you would have spent reloading if that's something you would be doing othewise.

None of these 3 categories are counted in ranking except for anyone else in that same category, but it does save some $. This a help for new shooters too since they can get started a lot easier only buying 2 guns instead of 4.

No excuses. I just didn't feel like it. It's been about 2 1/2 years since I've been to a match and that was after a one year leave. I'm going to a shoot in March and I'm hoping that will get me interested once again. I just plain burned out. :unsure:

I know that folks participate in CAS for a few years and then just seem to stop going to CAS matches. I still love going to the CAS matches but so many faces that were there when I started CAS six years ago are no longer present. :(

Are you one that still keeps your SASS membership but has stopped going to CAS matches? :mellow:

Not slowing down yet. (I'm already slow enough). I shoot 5 matches a month on average and love them all. Most of my best friends are cowboy shooters and I enjoy their fellowship and values.

Howdy, Pards,

Mainly been a matter of scheduling. Seems like the main outfit I shoot with has their matches on the first Sunday of the month, and for a number of reasons, I have had conflicts. Add in weather, and some physical ailments (bad back, etc.), and I just haven't been able to get to a match in quite awhile...October 2010 IIRC. Probably be May before I can get to another. There's another club about the same distance away which shoots on the 4th Sunday. Might try to get to them, but, again, probably won't be for awhile. -_-

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! Godspeed Discovery! God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

My new job has put a crimp on my shooting. I work 1500 to 0100 Wednesdays through Saturdays. Getting up at the crack of darkness is a little more difficult on Sundays to get to the matches now. And before you say "...what about the Saturday matches," they all are too far away for me to get back to the station in time for my watch.

EC

No. And I even shoot at some of them! But, my opportunities are fewer and farther between.

That would be a NO for me. As a matter of fact I started a new club just recently and have my hands full for sure! Not SASS affliated yet but hope to in the near future.

Had some moments a couple years back where I wasn't the happiest cowboy on the range, but when Ambush rolled around and I got to see some ol' pards, well, I got over my bump in the road. :)

I have significantly reduced the number of matches I attend.

This is due to several factors including my wife's current educational/job commitments, my job commitments, and the economic conditions we are currently enjoying.

I hope to come back to shooting at least once a month when things get back to an even keel.

Your point about the cost being a factor is not unusual. At our club (Texas Ten Horns) we offer 3 categories that will save our shooters money;

a. a "working cowboy"...only shoots 1 revolver and a rifle, no 2nd pistol or shotgun. Saves $ on guns and ammo

b. a "sod buster"...only shoots 1 revolver and a shotgun, no 2nd pistol or rifle.

c. a "Double Deuce"...shoots .22 caliber revolvers and rifle. Any SASS legal shotgun. Saves ammo costs and the time

you would have spent reloading if that's something you would be doing othewise.

None of these 3 categories are counted in ranking except for anyone else in that same category, but it does save some $. This a help for new shooters too since they can get started a lot easier only buying 2 guns instead of 4.

God bless your club and may many others follow suit! This idea would make it easier for new shooters, those on a fixed income, or some with disabilities. The one pistol, shotgun combo would be a price conscious option for us, and based on the dozens of old Tin Type photo's I have of our Lawmen relatives, period correct! ;)

BSD & SSG

Archived