SASS Wire Forum

Dusty Case Cleaning Media

Long Branch Louie

I'm using RCBS Walnut Hull media right now, and I add Frankfort Arnesal Polish to it to clean cases. I add the polish only to help keep down the dust, I don't care about super shiny cases. The media has only been used a few times. It gets very dusty pretty quick and if I add too much polish, it clumps up and gets in the cases. I know the dust is not good to breathe what with the lead and all in it. What does better as far as keeping down the dust?

I throw in a couple of dryer sheets, tumble in a Thumler's Tumbler (which seals shut) and then sift in a closed RCBS separator. Dust is not an issue, generally.

If you're really concerned about the health issue, you can also get hospital-type masks from any drug store. I'm more worried about lead, so I wear an anti-lead respirator when molding and latex gloves when reloading.

The dust is contaminated by any of the residue left in the cases, I believe the worst may be from the spent primers. Try letting your tumbler run a bit to mix the polish in before adding cases. You also might be adding too much at one time. I hear the dryer sheets work, but haven't tried them yet.

I use Lizard Litter from Petsmart & a shot of car polish. The polish is whatever I can fing the cheapest, jest like me. Then run the tumbler for about 30 minutes and let stand overnight. This solved my case of dust and clumbs in the brass.

Shenny

A trick I've been using is to get one of those wire mesh strainers that most grocery stores sell (one that has an 8" diameter opening) and a two cup measuring cup or similar container that has that capacity and a handle. Then every now and then scoop up your media two cups at a time into the strainer and give it several shakes to separate the dust from the media (making sure to wear a good dust mask when doing so). After you're done, properly dispose of the dust and return the media to your tumbler. You can now operate anew and relatively dust free for a good number of tumblings before you'll need to do it again. Smithy.

Archived