SASS Wire Forum

Salute to my Dad: another WWII Vet gone

Widder, SASS #59054

What AJ said. Condolences to you and your family. Having lost my dad in '09 I know the pain... and still feel the tug when I recall his last words, "...time to muster out." A Navy vet also, good men all. I'm glad you were able to be there... I was halfway across the country and... well... it is what it is.

My condolences and prayers for peace and comfort for all of his many friends and family... A great tribute, Widder...

Vaya con Dios

Our prayers are with you.

Hero s can't be replaced only admired and remembered

None of us are long for this world, be glad that your father made this world a better place. I think that's all the good lord can ask of any of us.

Coffee

We all share your grief. May God bless and confort you and your famlly in your time of sorrow.

Just remember your loss is Heavens gain. Our prayer are with you.

Bittrroot Jake

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Widder:

That was a fine tribute to your Pa.

He sounds like a fine man and a hero to be looked up to.

God bless him, you and all of your kin during this trying time.

Saying a prayer,

Mustang Gregg &

Calamity JoAnne

Condolences, and deep sorrow for your loss. Rest assured that your father had and will always have my deepest thanks and admiration for his sacrifice and service.

Sorry to hear about your loss Widder. It sounds like your Dad lived a full life and rewarding life. You and your family take care, we will be thinking of you.

I'm sorry that I did not get to meet your dad, but I know he had to be proud of you. I hope that you, your brothers and your sister find peace in his passing..... My thoughts and prayers will be with you in the coming days and let us celebrate that his journey has not ended but only has begun with our Lord.

KK

Widder, my most sincere condolences,

cheyenne

God bless your father for his service to our country and for the life he gave his family.

When my dad died I was moved by the salute fired by the color guard. He rarely spoke of his service, so the fact that he, like all who serve, was a genuine American hero was sometimes lost on those closest to him. Your father, my dad and their generation were heroic. They risk all for us. They gave us life with quiet strength. We can never forget.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Mike,

I know your father a bit from knowing his son. He must have been a fine man. And, as days go by, you will find traces of him all around you, in you, and your brothers.

My prayers and best wishes to your family at this time.

Sincerely,

Frederick Jackson Turner

Lost my dad a year ago this week so I know too well what you are going through. He was also a WWII vet. I pray that you and your family can find comfort at this difficult time.

God bless

7 Mile Tom

Sorry to hear of your loss Widder!! Obviously your father was a great man and an American Hero. Thanks to him for his service to our country in a great time of need. What a blessing you got to have him so long. God Bless you and your family, your dad and our Great Country.

ATTENTION!

Present, Arms!

(hold salute)

Order, Arms!

By the way, pard, do you know what ship your daddy served on in WW2? My grandfather was on the USS Luce, DD522. It was sunk by kamikazes in 1945. He died a year ago yesterday. It would be neat if they had served together.

Cyrus: thanks for asking.

Dad was on the USS Black Hawk (AD-9). I think it was a Destroyer Tender. He got out in May, 1945 and was actually discharged from the Navel Hospital in S.C. before coming back home to TN.

My older brother told me yesterday that one of his best friends in the Navy that he always spoke so highly of was a feller from Texas name 'Trevino'. Hope I got that spelling correct but its pronounced like that famous golfer Lee Trevino.

If any of you fellers know of someone down in the Republic of Texas name Trevino who served in WWII on the USS Black Hawk, please let him know that my Dad always spoke highly of him and cherished his friendship during those war years.

Thank You All for your kind words, thoughts, Prayers and well wishes. I cherish them all.

My brother wants me to make a copy of this thread for his safe keeping. These things mean ALOT and supply needed comfort during times like this.

God Bless you all.

..........Widder

Dad was on the USS Black Hawk (AD-9). I think it was a Destroyer Tender. He got out in May, 1945 and was actually discharged from the Naval Hospital in S.C. before coming back home to TN.

My older brother told me yesterday that one of his best friends in the Navy that he always spoke so highly of was a feller from Texas name 'Trevino'. Hope I got that spelling correct but its pronounced like that famous golfer Lee Trevino.

If any of you fellers know of someone down in the Republic of Texas name Trevino who served in WWII on the USS Black Hawk, please let him know that my Dad always spoke highly of him and cherished his friendship during those war years.

Thank You All for your kind words, thoughts, Prayers and well wishes. I cherish them all.

My brother wants me to make a copy of this thread for his safe keeping. These things mean A LOT and supply needed comfort during times like this.

God Bless you all.

..........Widder

Yup. A= auxilliary ship, D=destroyer. Not a combat ship, but serving in a support role-repair, supply, providing relief crews during R & R, et c. Moderately well known ship, I recognize the name just sitting here in the library, away from home and my references. As a tender, may have been "mother ship" to one of the others mentioned. Tendermen tended to be older, more experienced and skillful at their rates, and more valuable in their role in support-keeping many ships on the line, not just one.

Dad was on the USS Black Hawk (AD-9). I think it was a Destroyer Tender. He got out in May, 1945 and was actually discharged from the Navel Hospital in S.C. before coming back home to TN.

My brother wants me to make a copy of this thread for his safe keeping. These things mean ALOT and supply needed comfort during times like this.

God Bless you all.

..........Widder

It's too bad they didn't serve together, but based on the other pard's comments it would be neat if your pappy's ship supported my grandpa's ship! Anyway, my condolences to you and yours, and I am eternally grateful for the sacrifices your father and his generation made for mine and those to follow.

Archived