SASS Wire Forum

Salute to my Dad: another WWII Vet gone

Widder, SASS #59054

I just wanted to share my loss with my Wire Pards.

Daddy dropped out of High School when his mother allowed before he reached the age of 18. She signed the approval for him to join the US Navy during WWII.

He got wounded somewhere along the way and was discharged with a disability from shrapnel in the back.

He got his GED afterwards and then some college.

He and Momma raised 5 of us 'younguns'. Four boys and one girl.

His direct bloodline is represented by Marines, Navy and Air Force.

He lived a fine Christian life with Faith in Christ.

He worked with kids alot. Coached alittle ball. Refereed and Umpired baseball/football games when he had the legs.

Even when I was 'Little Superman' and could fly off the front porch with a towel used for my cape, he was still my hero.

He was also a reserved Police Officer for the City of Knoxville and his .32 Colt Police Special (if I remember the actual name) was 'THE GUN' that kept all the monster away at night.

Even in death, he taught me how to be brave and have faith.

He passed away peacefully early this morning with 4 sons at his bedside.

I will miss him.

SALUTE, Dad!

..........mike

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

My prayers go out to you and your family at this time.

I hope and pray that God gives you and yours strength and overwhelming support during the days that follow. Once a chair is empty, it's never completely filled.

I salute your Dad for his Service to our Nation, but also for being a great Dad and a good man.

My God Blees You All!

We will all miss him too pard, even those of us who never met him. One of the greatest generation, we know he raised a fine son and was a true hero to the nation. I am facing that same sad day you are facing coming all to soon. Hand salute. :FlagAm:

My deepest sympathies for your loss. May God guide you and yours through this difficult time. The world was a better place for your father having been here. I salute his bravery, character and service to his country...

Widder everytime I hear of one of our greatest generation leaving us I get really sad and a little afraid. Sad because men of his era were made of a differnt metal. Forged in the hardships of the depression era and knew extactly wht they were fighting for.

Afraid because I just don't know if there is enough left to show us the way.

My prayers for you and your family and our country. :FlagAm:

Widder everytime I hear of one of our greatest generation leaving us I get really sad and a little afraid. Sad because men of his era were made of a differnt metal. Forged in the hardships of the depression era and knew extactly wht they were fighting for.

Amen to this sentiment.

I hope you find solace in the fact that your Dad survived and went on to be a role modle for you . Its hard to find people to look up to. MY Grandgather too passed, a "Hellcat" pilot MY Hero. Like was said previous, That era forged REAL men and any day is a sad day when one is lost.

MY Pryers to you and yours.

One nice benefit this country has to be thankful for in addition to your dad's courageous service and life is the fact that in all likelihood, he has raised four sons just like him to carry on his well taught traditions! It would have been an honor to have known your father. I am praying for you and your family during this time of loss. Smithy.

Prayers up for you and the whole family.

You have my deepest and most sincere condolences in the loss of your father.

We, as a country, also have sustained another great loss.

Your father was , as luckily mine still is, a charter member of the greatest generation this country will ever know.

I'll say an extra prayer tonight for your father and for those he left behind.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and story of your father

Frio

Sorry for your loss Widdermaker; I think I know some of what you and yours are going through, my dad passed away just before this past Christmas; he was a vet also; he was 89. There will never be another generation quite like the generation that is quickly leaving us.

Can't say it any better myself.

My condolences,

Smoke

I just wanted to share my loss with my Wire Pards.

Daddy dropped out of High School when his mother allowed before he reached the age of 18. She signed the approval for him to join the US Navy during WWII.

He got wounded somewhere along the way and was discharged with a disability from shrapnel in the back.

He got his GED afterwards and then some college.

He and Momma raised 5 of us 'younguns'. Four boys and one girl.

His direct bloodline is represented by Marines, Navy and Air Force.

He lived a fine Christian life with Faith in Christ.

He worked with kids alot. Coached alittle ball. Refereed and Umpired baseball/football games when he had the legs.

Even when I was 'Little Superman' and could fly off the front porch with a towel used for my cape, he was still my hero.

He was also a reserved Police Officer for the City of Knoxville and his .32 Colt Police Special (if I remember the actual name) was 'THE GUN' that kept all the monster away at night.

Even in death, he taught me how to be brave and have faith.

He passed away peacefully early this morning with 4 sons at his bedside.

I will miss him.

SALUTE, Dad!

..........mike

Sorry for you loss.

Spittoon

Guest Mace Bishop

Prayers up for yopu and your family. Your Dad was truly a member of the greatest generation. My Dad also fought in the Pacific during WWII. This generation did make so many sacrifices, for both country and family. We can be both happy and proud to have had them as our fathers. They may not be with us, but they will never be forgotten.

May God give you and your family comfort.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

This is one of the verses my son used while doing the service for his Grandma, my Mom, in December last year.

I am both saddened and overjoyed by the fact that as my life goes forward the "cloud of witnesses" grows that surround me. But, I am given great comfort in the fact that I have the assurance, as do you, that we will have the great pleasure of joining in with that cloud some day as we fellowship and worship at the feet of out Lord and Saviour.

I feel for you and pray that in this time that you will be given the grace needed to persevere, to be an encouragement to your family, and a witness to those that do not understand the abiding faith that was the testament and legacy your father passed down to you.

God bless,

Amen!

Condolences to your family on your loss. God bless and keep him along with all the others from that Greatest Generation that have passed before him. FlagAm.gif

Safe trails,

CKid

Great tribute to your dad. my late dad also dropped out at 17 to join the Marines, probably fought alongside your Dad in the war. They are probably together now telling war stories.

My sincere condolences. They are leaving us quickly. We need to let them know how much we owe them before they go and honor their memory. :FlagAm:

My condolences as well. Lost my Dad Thanksgiving Day in 2004. He enlisted with his father's permission one week after his 17th birthday in May 1942. Served 4 years in the South Pacific as QM2 at the helm of the USS Ault DD-698. As a pastor, I've officiated many memorial services for the WWII generation. I, too, feel very sad when I hear of any of them going on to their greater rewards. Sadly, it seems to me that everyone talks about "the Greatest Generation", but many are all too ready to throw away the values and morals that made them "great". If we aren't careful, we're going to piddle away what they fought so valiantly for -- and in my book, that ain't the Cowboy Way. My $.02 worth. YMMV. I imagine there is a great reunion going on right now in Heaven. My prayers are with you and your family.

Howdy, Widder -

That was a very touching tribute, written during what I know was a very difficult time. I think your dad would have been very proud.

Sending my sincere condolences to you and all whose lives he touched.

Regards, TJH

Widder, my heart is breaking for you. I know you are comforted knowing your Dad is with the Lord, but there is sorrow and loss also. My prayers are with you and your father's loved ones.

May you know the peace and comfort of the Lord.

God bless,

Birdgun Quail

My sincere condolences to you, your brothers and your family. Your dad sounds like he was a good father, a dedicated patriot and an all around great person. I would have liked to meet him. :FlagAm:

Cypress Sun

Sorry for your loss Widdermaker, your father paved the way for all service members who have served this great country. What finer tribute for a man than to have answered the call when your country needs you, and to have raised a family to the best of his ability. your loss is felt by all, even those who you have not met personally. God bless

Rafe :FlagAm:

My prayers and condolences to you and your family for the loss of such a fine gentleman. Our fathers were of the same generation, so I see many similarities in your description and the things I would say about my own father. I lost mine in 1995, but he remains in my heart.

God Bless You and Your Family.

Chick

Isnt it remarkable that when you hear of a passing of a Vet it dosent matter that you have never met them or the family but you still feel the pain.

Widder,to your father and family Thank you so much for the service you provided.even for those that dont respect it.

Hope to meetyou someday so I can thank you in person{wish I could meet all that served}Lefty Pete

Archived