SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 CB 32 H&R Magnum

J.D.Ironsmith

Got a lead on one of these.

See they are a bit different than the '94 I have in .357.. (they load like a 39a rimfire rifle)

Anyone using one... what do you think... Can't see why they wouldn't be, but they are SASS legel aren't they?

Got a lead on one of these.

See they are a bit different than the '94 I have in .357.. (they load like a 39a rimfire rifle)

Anyone using one... what do you think... Can't see why they wouldn't be, but they are SASS legel aren't they?

BlueBelle borrowed one at a shoot last year and fell in love with it. Specifically she liked the way it loaded, she hates fighting the last rounds in through the loading gate of her Marlin 1894. If I could get one at a resonable price I would probably pick it up just to keep her happy. She has enough misery being married to me.

Ms. Mary Matilda has been using one, 2 to 3 matches a month for 4 or 5 years now....

She loves it. I reload the .32 H&R Magnum with Trailboss and 115 grain RNFP bullet. Shoots great.

Ms. Mary Matilda has been using one, 2 to 3 matches a month for 4 or 5 years now....

She loves it. I reload the .32 H&R Magnum with Trailboss and 115 grain RNFP bullet. Shoots great.

Have you done any action work on it? Will they take the one piece fireing pin? (My Marlin was pretty rough until I had some work done on it)

Have you done any action work on it? Will they take the one piece fireing pin? (My Marlin was pretty rough until I had some work done on it)

Our club's gun smith slicked up the action and yes, it has a one piece firing pin.

...and it's been very reliable....

I have a few of them, some stock and some with action work. I can really tell the difference when I shoot the one with action work and yes you can put a one pc firing pin in them. The are no different to work on than the other 1894's. Loading is really easy. The 32 H&R is a fun cartridge to shoot, economical to load, and easy to put the rounds in the drop in mag tube.

Contrary to what Seldom Seen recommends on the 73 in 32-20, the brass is more expensive, harder to find, and much harder to load the bottle neck brass without crushing it. Also, have to push the rounds thru the loading gate. I have two 73's in 32-20 and enjoy shooting them but not as much as the Marlin in 32 H&R.

Most of the Marlins have been selling for $700-$850 and it may be a little difficult to find them at the $700 price. If you can find one at or near the $700 price I would snap it up. I paid about $150 plus shipping for the action work and one pc firing pin. Don't know if that is still the norm or not. Hope it helps.

One of my best pards to shoot with has gone to .32s because of arthritus in his hands. I found a Marlin .32 Mag on the Wire Classifieds about a year ago for $500. The gentleman was selling it because he said it jammed frequently but my friend hasn't had any problems with it. They seem like really nice little rifles.

J.D.Ironsmith

The Marlin 1894 CB 32 H&R Magnum is specifically allowed in the rule book. My shooting partner Leia uses one in Ladies Frontier Cartage. With a case full of FFG 777 it has enough smoke to pass the smoke test. The lever stroke is factory short and the small hole in the octagonal barrel is very steady on target. It seems muzzle heavy to me because I am used to a big hole .45 barrel but no complaints from the 100 pounder that shoots it. We run the one piece firing pin and a spring kit. Others have had a lot of trouble with this gun but our experience is that it is a main match gun.

Fordyce

J.D.,

I'm looking for one for my wife. She has the .32 H&R single sixes she got from a fellow up in your neck of the woods. If you don't want it, let me know and give me contact info for the seller. They are hard to find. I plan to look at the Puyallup show (again) tomorrow.

See you Sunday in Poulsbo?

Contrary to what Seldom Seen recommends on the 73 in 32-20, the brass is more expensive, harder to find, and much harder to load the bottle neck brass without crushing it. Also, have to push the rounds thru the loading gate.

Midwayusa lists Starline 32 Magnum brass for $75.00/500 vs. $106.00/500 for 32.20 or .15 cents vs. .21 cents per round. Both are out-of-stock so so much for 32-20 brass being harder to find.

I don't follow the statement that the 32-20 that it is harder to load without crushing the neck. I bell the mouth for easy bullet seating and use a RCBS single stage press. Actually the only round I load on a progessive press is the 45 Colt.

In exchange I have a round that was designed for use in the 1873 and has a time proven record of dependability and relibility.

P.S. I though the reason God gave man thumbs is to push rounds through the loading gate of the greatest rifle design ever made. :D

1873 in 32-20 is a better choice. It is much more reliable.

Hey Seldom Seen, just wondering if you have owned one of the .32 Marlins and if you did what did you find that wasn't reliable on them? Was it the feeding or were parts breaking on one that made you think that a '73 made for a better rifle. Just curious.

Ketchum Quick

When they first came out Michael (Wolf) Bane sent me one for action work.

Marlin came out with those about the same time Ruger had their 32 H&R Vaq's out. Most folks were buying them for the ladies and youths but found the Marlin to be a bit front heave with it's oct barrel and twin mag tubes. I think that hurt the sales enough that Marlin dropped them.

I know of one that had the oct barrel replaced with a carbine round barrel. It felt and handled much better. If Marlin had gone that route from the beginning I bet the sales figures would have been much better, too.

WolfBane, you still got that gun?

Wire Paladin here on my brother's PC.

I have a .32 Marlin. Had to have an action job on mine, rough as a cobb. My granddaughter and grandson love it. However, when I tried to operate it at SASS speed, it jamed. I love the balance of the little rifle but it cost me big time on the firing line. There is one stage here at WR1011 that requires a mandatory rifle reload, that .32 would kill anyone for time using that rifle. Also, mine requires a consistant Overall length.

Good Luck

Wire Paladin #5954 Life-Regulator

Bought one for the wife couple years ago and she loved it. I gave it a try and it is now my main match rifle too. Lowered my times cosiderably because of the shorter stroke. All we did was remove burrs and polish inner parts.Really cheap shooting compared to the 44 mag. I was previously shooting. Found it at Cabelas around 500.00.They had 4 of them at the time,wished I'd bought two. I have not had a malfunction or jam to date.

My wife started out with one and she liked it alot. The only complaint that I had was that I didn't like loading .32s and .38s. She has since switched over to .38s and life is good.

I would like to interject on two items though. The reload can be done through the ejection port with short length ammo. Just like it can be done with a .38, .44 or .45 ammo and it can be done way faster than though the loading gate technique. Of course you wouldn't have much of a choice on the .32 Marlin.

The other item one must understand about a Marlin is they are pretty fussy eaters sometimes. Meaning they like their ammo tailored to their diet. If you load them too long they don't like it and they will make you pay for it.

We did sell my wife's Marlin .32 over a year ago and I wish we had it back. It was really a nice little rifle.

KQ

Somewhere around a couple dozen shooters I know have tried the 32 Marlin and only a small number are still using it. Many started using it for B Western. Successful use seems to be somewhat random. Some have had tons of GOOD gunsmithing and some rifles worked well afterward and some didn't ever. Some needed very little gunsmiting a few worked well and some would not run fast no matter how much they were worked on. The loading method has plusses and minuses. For some juniors and ladies it is probably an advantage as the loading gates can be hard for some. Reloads on the clock for the Marlin 32 rifle are a lot harder than any rifle with a loading gate. The gun seems very sensitive to the cartridges being used and it only sometimes depends on cartridge length like other Marlins. Some shooters have found a particular weight bullet seems to cycle better than others (not necessarily long or short). Most seem to be made to run at moderate rates but running them at top speeds can cause any number of crashes. As an alternate to an everday 73 or other in 357 or 38, it is a nice "adventure" meaning a jam can cause a whole lot of misses on a stage. Many folks shoot 32 pistols and having a rifle in the same caliber is a nice touch. When I shoot 32s, I use a 38 rifle, as does my wife. Lately, I have tended to drift away from 32 pistols back to 38s as I find I am using about the same weight bullets and same velocity so recoil is a bit more in lighter 32 pistols. My wife isn't bothered by the added recoil but can not shoot a heavier larger frame pistol, so she will only shoot her 32 pistols.

Bit of topic, but I guess that just makes my "Spur" Marlin in 45 Schfield even better. Now, I waiting for my Thunderbolt in 45 Schofield from Deadeye Dallas. Yep, hung up on them Schofields. Shot some Schfield Saturday in a match that were so HOT they darn near ripped the Vaquero Bisley outta my hand. Hung them up after 50 rounds.

Yeah I know a glutton for punishment,

Archived