SASS Wire Forum

Using loads for 32 SW Long

Haole

I shoot Frontier Cartidge a lot and have loaded black powder and Pyrodes powder in cartridges for many years with no problems. But I always like to see load data or get recommendations from other shooters.

My wife wants to give Frontier Cartridge a try, but she shoots a pair of Ruger Single Sixs in 32 S&W Long (or 32 H&R Mag.).

I can't find load data for black or Pyrodex for anything even close to 32 S&W long, but then load volume recommendations for black and Pyrodex isn't really rocket science. Basically you need a slightly compressed load (that can be reduced with appropriate over powder wads). Plus, Rugers are rather strong weapons.

Will I have any problems loading the smaller capacity 32 S&W cases with Pyrodex P (compression of course) using 96 grain heads that are on the soft side.

Thanks

I don't think you can get 1CC of powder in the short case. I could be wrong. I know that I loaded 1CC of FFFg in my wife's .32 magnum cases and it filled it all the way up.

If you don't care about the 1CC rule then just use the usual loading procedures. Fill the case up far enough so that when you seat the bullet you get a little bit of compression.

Haloe, my ex used to shoot ladies frontier cartridge with Ruger 32s and std HR magnum brass. Her Dad did the loading with 777 and commercial hard cast bullets. She made more then enough smoke with this load though I cant recall if she ever needed to use them on a knock down. You can be sure her sub loads had a lot more juice then some of the light smokeless loads you see.

The rules don't say you have to load 1cc of powder.

"BLACKPOWDER CATEGORIES

It is expected the blackpowder competitor shall contend with smoke obscured targets. To

insure this, all shotgun, revolver, and rifle powder charges must produce smoke at least

equivalent to a base line load of 15 grains by volume (1 cc) of ffg blackpowder."

The subs tend to be more smokey. You may or may not produce enough smoke. It is all in the eyes of the beholder.

As others have said, there is no 1cc rule, just a smoke equivalent rule. I think a smokey sub like 777 should meet the smoke rule even with the S&W Long case but using the magnum case would be safer. A full charge of 777 in the magnum case under a 100gr bullet will surprise people when they learn it is a .32.

Depending on the bullet and amount of compression, the Long will hold about .7cc and a full cc can be gotten into the magnum case. Hodgdon recommends not compressing 777 so I'll take the Fifth on that one.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll scrounge up as many 32 H&R magnum cases as I can find and give it a try.

Archived