SASS Wire Forum

Cutting off a pistol grip,

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Sometime back I posted a complaint about the Baikal double battering my birdie fanger and got a lot of agreement from other responders. Several said they fixed it with cushioning and a good friend even offered to do a minor stock fix that would help. Thanks RRR, I warnt ignoring yore offer pard, well actually!!!, but I was thanking on something I saw a long time back on the WIRE. Years ago a pard posted photos of his Stoeger double that he had converted to a straight stock and really trimmed it up nicely, including the forearm. It was really graceful and svelt looking compared to the factory club and the grip difference would probably not be a big problem for us flat rifle stock fokes. Looking at the gun, it would appear that the trigger guard would cause little or no problems with such a job, anyone else tried this?

Did this to a Stoeger a few years back, no particular reason.....just to be different. :P

Ho Ho Ho, Thats a good one!!!!

:D

I did a 20 ga Baikal several years ago for just that reason. While I was at it I fitted the wood to the steel, removed all checkering, lowered the comb and completely refinished the entire gun. She really looked good. I don't know if it improved the shooting much but it did look good.

Thanks, see some of us actually think alike as this was exactly what I had in mind. If one elected to do it via mail order would the whole gun have to go or just the wood? Is checkering in his repertoire, I did not see anything related on the site and the examples did not show any?

Bob - I had the same problem with a sore finger. Before you cut your stock, try this. Pull the rear trigger first. Then pull the front trigger without modifying your grip. The first few times you do this it will seem like you are reaching for the front trigger. That feeling will go away.

Your grip will fall a little farther back on the stock when you setup for the rear trigger. That little bit of room will save your finger from abuse.

Or if you want to have a unique gun, get out the saw. If you do, we want pictures and step by step instructions.

Chancy

Thanks for the responses guys. Not sure how this will progress, I could probably do a hack job but if the desire for something nicer takes hold I would need to send it off for sure. Even checkering is far beyond my wood working abilities!

Archived